123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Boot Camp Gains Support for Windows 7
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
caulktel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not me, it comes up just as fast as it always did.

This is very unApple like behavior. This is the kind of stunt I would expect from Microsoft. Can you say 3.1.1.
iPhone 4S 16GB
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosso wrote:
Guys I want to hear from you about boot up issues.....

When you boot up, are you met with a nasty white screen for a good 40 seconds before you get the options to load windows or apple?

Yes.

I thought it was a external drive giving me issues. I ejected all external media and was met with this problem about %50 of the time.
Rosso

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
Rosso wrote:

When you boot up, are you met with a nasty white screen for a good 40 seconds before you get the options to load windows or apple?

Yes.

I thought it was a external drive giving me issues. I ejected all external media and was met with this problem about %50 of the time.

Then quite frankly 2 fingers to Apple and this Bootcamp release. I won't be using it. It got really annoying last time. Thanks for letting me know mate.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have read a few reports that the Windows Experience score (for what its worth) actually dropped with the newer Nvidia driver. I didn't bother to check it yet.
macmanmacman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is why i don't use windows 7 on a macintosh to many issues and problems at least windows xp is stable and runs without any issues.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So where's the update?

"Software Update" results in nothing.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pontificator wrote:
So where's the update?

"Software Update" results in nothing.

It doesn't show up on the OSX side. You have to use the Apple software update client while in windows itself.
caulktel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosso wrote:

Not for me, it loads about as quick as always.
iPhone 4S 16GB
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rosso wrote:

Mine takes a little longer if a CD or DVD is in the Superdrive, but that’s about it. The screen does stay white until that point though.
caulktel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I figured out to make it work on my Macbook Pro, I think this will work on the Mini as well. I was trying to install Bootcamp 3.1 on a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate. What I ended up doing is to install Bootcamp 3.0 first then after it reboots install 3.1. Everything works perfectly. If you have already installed 3.1 first, 3.0 will uninstall the nvidia driver that 3.1 installed then will reinstall when you run the 3.1 installer. I can't take all the credit for this as I found the clue on the Apple forums first. Just kind of amazed that Apple didn't make this any more clear than they did.
iPhone 4S 16GB
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caulktel wrote:
Well, I figured out to make it work on my Macbook Pro, I think this will work on the Mini as well. I was trying to install Bootcamp 3.1 on a fresh install of Windows 7 Ultimate. What I ended up doing is to install Bootcamp 3.0 first then after it reboots install 3.1. Everything works perfectly. If you have already installed 3.1 first, 3.0 will uninstall the nvidia driver that 3.1 installed then will reinstall when you run the 3.1 installer. I can't take all the credit for this as I found the clue on the Apple forums first. Just kind of amazed that Apple didn't make this any more clear than they did.

I'm a bit confused here...

When you say "Mac Mini" which model (year) are you referring to? The latest generation? Any Intel Mini? Specifics, please. My mini is a 1.83 Core 2 Duo purchased later in 2007.

As for the install steps, is the below correct?

Assuming you already have Snow Leopard installed...

1. Run bootcamp in it's present 3.0 version.
2. Install Windows 7
3. REBOOT your computer and go back into Windows again
4. Then install Bootcamp 3.1

In other words, you're saying that doing a fresh install THEN INSTALLING Bootcamp 3.1 WITHOUT REBOOTING WINDOWS is causing the problem. Am I correct?

Yeah, I'm thick that way. Razz
ayxayx

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just installed windows 7 64 bit pro on mac mini late 2009. After installation i run the BootCamp64bit.msi(3.0) with administrator permissions. Than i restart the mini but it has a bluescreen on startup. So i load a backup and try it again, this time i have not restart the system after runing BootCamp64... and run the BootCamp 3.1 Update. It run and install some drivers. After a reboot i get the bluescreen.

Is somebody here who has resolved this problem?

Chers
caulktel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pontificator wrote:
caulktel wrote:

When you say "Mac Mini" which model (year) are you referring to? The latest generation? Any Intel Mini? Specifics, please. My mini is a 1.83 Core 2 Duo purchased later in 2007.

2. Install Windows 7

In other words, you're saying that doing a fresh install THEN INSTALLING Bootcamp 3.1 WITHOUT REBOOTING WINDOWS is causing the problem. Am I correct?

Your not that thick, it's just kind of confusing. I did this on my new Macbook Pro, but it should work on your mini, I have the same one as you do. Here are the steps:

1. Use Bootcamp assistant located in your Utilities folder on your Mac to do a fresh install of 7. After its all done:

2. Install Bootcamp.exe 3.0 from your Snow Leopard install DVD into Widows 7. After it has you reboot back into 7:

3. Install Bootcamp 3.01 from Apple;s site into Windows 7, after reboot you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.
iPhone 4S 16GB
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spent 3hrs last getting BootCamp 3.1 running on my late 2009 Mini. My previous install was Windows 7 x64, Bootcamp 2.0 (forced install).
Bootcamp would not upgrade to 3.0 or 3.1. 3.0 gives you a "x64 not supported on this machine" blah, blah...

So I did a fresh install, inserted my 10.6.0 disk and ran this from the command line.

"(in the start menu type cmd, right click on it and select Run as Administrator, click yes on the UAC prompt).

In the command prompt window, change to the DVD’s directory by running

cd /d D:

(assuming your Snow Leopard disk is in the D drive).

Now type

cd Boot Camp\Drivers\Apple

And then finally, type

BootCamp64.msi

This circumvents the installers check of your computer model and installs all the relevent drivers properly."
( Thanks to John Anderson's Blog)

Now I was at Bootcamp 3.0. Downloaded the BootCamp 3.1 installed, restarted, and now my Windows 7 BootCamp correctly says I'm at 3.1. Laughing

The reason I went through all this is that when I tried to install 3.0 over 2.0 I got nada. I ran 3.1, got the NVidia drivers, but, after I restarted I had a "User Profile Service Failed" message and could not login!!! Safeboot, system repair, restore, ect was going nowhere. So I trashed my partition it and started new.

I don't think these problems occur with BootCamp 3.1 and a 32bit install. Just with the 64bit versions.

Long story short it IS possible to have BootCamp 3.1 and a 64bit Windows 7 install in a late 2009 Mini.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

caulktel wrote:
The Pontificator wrote:
caulktel wrote:

2. Install Windows 7

Your not that thick, it's just kind of confusing. I did this on my new Macbook Pro, but it should work on your mini, I have the same one as you do. Here are the steps:

1. Use Bootcamp assistant located in your Utilities folder on your Mac to do a fresh install of 7. After its all done:

2. Install Bootcamp.exe 3.0 from your Snow Leopard install DVD into Widows 7. After it has you reboot back into 7:

3. Install Bootcamp 3.01 from Apple;s site into Windows 7, after reboot you should be good to go.

Hope this helps.

THANK YOU![/b]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: