123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMac Late 2009 Screen Problems: Yellow Tinge, Screen Flicker
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks to be all the way across

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally shipped my iMacFlicker/Yellow Tinge Week 25 back to B&H in NY, who I bought it from. I'm going with an exchange. This would be my first exchange. I waited as I could. As I was packing up the iMac, I realized how easy it could be damaged in Shipping. Trucks, Warehouse, Hot, Cold, & B&H did not pack it as good as I had thought. There was a corner of both boxes that was bruised. It must have hit hard on that throw. B&H told me they just got a new Shipment, the end of Dec. By the time mine gets to them, they check it out, & send me a new one, It'll be at least the end of January. Maybe I even have a chance of a Week 03 from this New Year. I'm not counting on it though. So now I'm officially in the iMac Lottery. I just hope I get lucky with the first exchange.

So now I just got finished setting my trusty Mac Mini up in my Home Office with my 19" Samsung Monitor & I have to say, even the defective iMac Screen is better than this Monitor. I only had the 21.5" iMac but it looked a lot bigger than this 19. Sorry for the long post, I needed someone to tell. Please Wish Me Luck!!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Please Wish Me Luck!!

Good luck.

I hate they way some people handle freight. You'd think they'd respect electronics but that doesn't seem to be the case. This is something that I like about brick and mortar. You can pick your own box. Hopefully it hasn't been abused.

I'm surprised with the slow turnaround. When dealing directly with Apple they will send you a new product and you get to keep the old one until the replacement arrives. You only get a bill to your credit card if Apple doesn't get the old unit back within a few weeks. It's pretty slick (if you can be available for couriers).

Hope you get a perfect unit this time around. Best of luck.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Banditbill, Thanks for the Luck! I can't believe they don't even have a "This Side Up" or "Fragile" Stickers. It'c coming from Brooklyn NY to Florida. And before that it was shipped from Shanghai. So that's a lot of ground & air to cover. I just hope B&H get it back in one piece. I used all their original Packing with some of my own reinforcement. I don't want to hear about ANY cracked Screens. Thanks again.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Luck Dino,

I've also used the Apple exchange system a couple of times, thankfully only for a couple of Mighty Mouse swaps. As Bandit Bill said they took my card details and then sent out the new mouse and return labels for the old one. As long as they received the old one back your card doesn't get charged.

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but I don't think Apple will exchange mine, since I bought from a reseller (B&H). I think they will just repair it. I hope I'm wrong because if I get yet another bad unit, I'd love to deal with Apple.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have Applecare ?

If so you should be able to deal with Apple directly. and don't all Mac's have 1 year Applecare anyway.

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the One Year Applecare that comes with the iMac. With this experience though, I may be wise to get the 3 year Applecare. So I have the One Year. Will they deal with me the same way? Replacement while I hold onto the defective one?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
I have the One Year Applecare that comes with the iMac. With this experience though, I may be wise to get the 3 year Applecare. So I have the One Year. Will they deal with me the same way? Replacement while I hold onto the defective one?

I'd get Applecare on an iMac in a heartbeat. Fortunately for me I was able to get an educational price on Applecare. Keep this in mind. Do you have kids in school. That will qualify you for a discount.

I'm typically not a fan of extended warranties, but their Apple care on on iMac of laptop makes sense.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Dino1956 wrote:

I'd get Applecare on an iMac in a heartbeat. Fortunately for me I was able to get an educational price on Applecare. Keep this in mind. Do you have kids in school. That will qualify you for a discount.

I'm typically not a fan of extended warranties, but their Apple care on on iMac of laptop makes sense.

I cant stress enough how important Apple Care is. I always wait until my year is up and then purchase it. Like Bandit, I'm not an extended fan either but... this is a tool i use everyday. I have had to use Apple Care in the past and it saved me Hundreds of dollars.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you wait until your Year is up & then purchase another 3 years? That I did not know!. Thanks!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Can you wait until your Year is up & then purchase another 3 years? That I did not know!. Thanks!

Just as long as there is still warranty on it you are okay. 1 day after it expires you'd be SOL.

Also keep in mind your credit card may have doubled your warranty to 2 years. It's a gamble as to whether or not they will honor their word and what they will actually cover. I'd still get the Applecare.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I believe the apple care extended warranty is from your purchase date, so if you wait one year, the warranty gets you two more years, not three.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
MalzyWheels

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a tad bit late to this discussion, but I wanted to offer my observation:

When looking at your video, Dino, if you study it at around 1:22, when you start shrinking/expanding the Safari window, if you don't focus on the bars and look at something else on the screen - say, the desktop image - you will notice that the whole screen will change when you notice the bars changing, or becoming the same, color. It looks to me as if the screen changes in terms of brightness, contrast, maybe both. When you shrink the Safari window, at a fixed point, the screen pops brighter. Then when you expand the window, at another fixed point, the screen dulls. I don't think camera trickery plays a role here because the points I see correlate almost exactly with your narration.

When you had your iMac, were you using the stock, Apple calibration for your display, or had you set up your own custom setup? I'm wondering if, somewhere in the Apple calibration, they put some kind of set up where if a screen has a majority of white on it, there's something that will adjust the brightness of the screen so the user doesn't burn their retinas, and that adjustment was enough to show some kind of weakness in the screen. Above that, I wonder if a custom calibration negates any automatic tweaking, and, therefore, overcomes the problem.

All of this is supposition now...
1961 HH Scott 299C integrated Amplifier (7591 Output Tubes)
B&W DM302 speakers
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
I believe the apple care extended warranty is from your purchase date, so if you wait one year, the warranty gets you two more years, not three.

I agree.

Buy Applecare on date of purchase : total coverage = 3 years
Buy Applecare 1 day before your warranty expires : total coverage is still 3 years

The benefit comes from that fact that you get to keep your money for 364 days instead of giving it to Apple to invest.

There is one other difference. The standard Apple warranty only offers telephone support for 90 days. You'll get free telephone support as long as Applecare is in place (therefore up to 3 years). Personally I'd never use Apple tech support, so this makes no difference to me, but I can see it being of value if you are an absolute beginner, if you have technical issues, or if you want to go beyond the basics of iLife or OS X.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: