123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Remote Desktop 3.3.2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Apple Releases Remote Desktop 3.3.2 Reply with quote

Apple Releases Remote Desktop 3.3.2
Monday, January 11, 2010
Posted by: Glenn

Apple has released the Remote Desktop 3.3.2 Admin and Client updates via their Software Update utility and website. According to the company, these updates improve the overall stability and performance of Apple Remote Desktop in addition to delivering the specific improvements listed below.

Setup
- Improved handling of IP address and port changes for clients accessed behind a Network Address Translation (NAT) system
- Upgrading to Apple Remote Desktop 3.3 will no longer reset non-administrator access privileges
- Improved reliability when authenticating new client computers

Software Distribution
- Improved reporting of results of failed package installations

Asset Management
- MacBook Air MAC address is now correctly reported
- Improved reliability of reporting systems configured with AirPort
- Correctly reports system version for systems that have been promoted from Mac OS X to Mac OS X Server

Remote Assistance
- Improved mouse cursor tracking when controlling remote systems
- Improved reliability when controlling remote clients that have a 1366-by-768 resolution
- Improved performance when clients are being controlled by RealVNC viewers
- Improved reliability when controlling systems that have dual graphics processors
- Improved support when controlling systems running third-party VNC servers
- Improved reliability for drag-and-drop file copy
- Improved reliability when controlling client computers that have two displays
- Improved reliability when controlling remote systems in scale mode with certain resolutions
- Menu Extra now correctly shows status when being observed by a VNC viewer

The Remote Desktop 3.3.2 Admin and Client updates weigh in at 51.41MB and 4.21MB, respectively. More information on the system requirements can be found here.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1417.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like they've made quite a few important updates. I have a little bit of experience with remote desktop control in the Windows world, but I have never used Apple's software. I've also never had to deal with remotely accessing machines with dual displays, dual graphics cards etc. That could be a nightmare.

A nice feature that I would like to see in remote access software is the ability to remotely access a machine while the user is using it. Do things in the background while they continue to do their work. I find this to be the biggest issue that I faced. People often got pissed off when I took control of their computers. Normally it wouldn't have been an issue for them to continue doing their work, but it's a little tough to do when someone takes over your mouse pointer Smile Does anyone know if Apple's software allows you to remote access, without interfering with the user?

I'd love it if Apple had a FREE (lite) remote access app for home users/small business. That would really help encourage the use of OS X. Most people have no need for these advanced features. I thought iChat was supposed to have some sort of limited features. Does it? If so, can anyone explain how it works or provide a link.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I thought iChat was supposed to have some sort of limited features. Does it? If so, can anyone explain how it works or provide a link.

You just click the screen sharing button at the bottom of your buddy list in iChat. It's on the far right. You can share your screen or ask someone to share their screen. I just use VNC or screen sharing in SL since all I really need is local access.
MacScout67

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A free or lite version for like under three clients would be nice. Then again, do you need something beyond VNC for like under three clients? Smile
Wedge

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 2:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Apple Releases Remote Desktop 3.3.2 Reply with quote

admin wrote:
- Improved reliability when controlling remote clients that have a 1366-by-768 resolution

This plauged me for so long, and was so hard to track down why my two TV-connected machines would have trouble, but all my other machines were OK. I had to turn off Adaptive Quality, but this 3.3.2 update seems to have resolved my issues.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: