123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

iMac Late 2009 Screen Problems: Yellow Tinge, Screen Flicker
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:44 pm    Post subject: iMac Late 2009 Screen Problems: Yellow Tinge, Screen Flicker Reply with quote

Well it appears my New iMac besides running like a dream has some display issues. It seems I have the "Yellow Tinge" in lower left just off center of the display. I called Apple, got a Case #, they are well aware of it! I'm not returning mine at this point in time because the iMacs they are exchanging them for, seems to have, if not the same problem, a list of other issues such as Screen Noise, Blackouts & Flickers. There are hundred of posts about this on Apple Discussion Forum. The only reason there is not posts here I will assume, is that people here did not buy the new Late 2009 iMac or they were lucky enough to win the iMac Lottery & get a perfect one. Oh btw, the problem is on the 21.5 & the 27" Screen. It also affects both Grahic cards. ATI & NVidia. Apple posted an update fix for just the 27" with the ATI, but it in most cases has not fixed the screen Flicker issue. Update: I have recently been experiencing Screen Flicker after 6 days of use. Was not there when I first got it. Ran Onyx & Screen Flicker is gone for past 3 days. Probably a coincidence. Can't imagine how Onyx could have fixed my Screen Flicker. All in All, these are the Facts. I'd hold off on buying a new iMac until these issues are completely fixed.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino, I'm as big a fan of Apple's stuff as the next 123MM member. But there's a pattern forming here; previous generations of Mac notebooks had display problems, the last generation of iMacs with the 20" screen had display problems, and now this generation of iMacs has display problems. It's starting to get embarrassing for a company that prides itself on good build quality. Apple needs to sort this out.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear your having problems with the new iMac Dino

I bought one of the dodgy screened 20" iMacs which was shortly followed by a new Macbook which now needs to have the top plate replaced every 12 months due to cracking. I then bought a Macbook Pro which also has a dodgy screen Sad Needless to say I'm very reluctant to buy any more early release Mac products Sad

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, believe me guys, I'm quite disappointed and trying to stay calm. Not letting my Sicilian Temper get the best of me! Smile Could this be because of the absence of Mr. Steve Jobs for so many months? I know he's back & this is probably a ridiculous statement. But who knows? I always heard Apple Displays are iMACulate & incredibly perfect. Isn't that why they charge top dollar for their Cinema Displays? With all the bragging about the new iMac display in their ads, you would have thought the people in Shanghai would have tested the Screens thoroughly before they were boxed & shipped. Maybe the people working in Shanghai need to go for Eye Exams! Smile I would hate to see Apple go downhill in Quality control. I need one company I can count on.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear about your bad luck with the screen. I know I wouldn't live with it. If they were all bad, I just wouldn't own it. There is no way in hell that I would pay premium prices to get an inferior product.

I agree with JohnnyBoy, Apple is getting sloppy and trying to cut corners. Too bad the consumers are the ones who pay the price. We shouldn't stand for it. Most of us are willing to pay a premium, but we expect the best. Why the heck would we even consider Apple if there products weren't better than average? Why the heck buy from a company that forces us to go through extreme shipping pains to return a product.

Dino, I think you should do your part as an Apple enthusiast and be a pain in the ass until you get a 100% working model. Don't be passive on this. Apple can go through every box until they find you a good one, or they can send all the crap back to China until they get it right.

This is disgusting. I'm pissed and it's not even my issue.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditBill, I understand & believe me I agree with you 100%. My situation is this: No Apple Store for 300 Miles from me, otherwise I would have been there 4 or 5 times. I do have an Apple Authorized Dealer, but I really don't want to have to deal with them. From past experience, they are not good listeners. But If I have to, I will. The only reason, I have not returned it yet, is due to the fact their are very few near perfect iMacs out there at this point in time. People are on their 4th & 5th exchange, only to find, their exchanges go from better to worse. If you want to look & see this. Go to the Apple Discussion Forums. Some of the Posts have 136 Pages. It's insane! Believe me, I'm getting it replaced! I'm just waiting to see if & when they start making Perfect ones. The list of Problems is endless. Cracked Screens, Yellow Tinge, Superdrives DOA, Flicker & Blackouts, Screen Audio Noise, etc...If I send it in now & get one that is worse or has a different problem, I'm going to go through the roof! The other option is if they repair my current machine. I'm also leery of that because people are reporting Scratches & Fingerprints behind the Screen Glass, after it was supposedly repaired. I'm a Mac User for under 3 years & until now, I had no problems. But all this, does make me question if something really bad is happening in the Apple camp. I hate to be the first to tarnish Apple's name on here. I love their Products & still remain a customer even with this Incident. I'm sure they will take care of my issue one way or the other. As you know, from this Forum alone, I'm fastidious about my equipment. And I have no problem making phone calls & writing letters till I'm red in the face. Smile I have my Case # & I'll play the waiting game until Apple finally gets their act together on this. I have faith, that they will take care of me in the end. There are people who are saying, if Apple made One Million iMacs & 1000 are bad, that is a small amount in the big Picture. I do not believe in that philosophy. If Apple make one bad machine & I happen to get it? That's too many for me.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'd spent the money you had then I think I'd be pushing for a refund.

I would have done the same myself with the MBP but I needed it for Uni so I've had to put up with it, thankfully the fault with mine can be quickly overcome with a few key presses to turn the display off and then back on. It will be going back for repair in a few weeks when I've finish Uni.

Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cypher I understand your point. I love this iMac. It operates perfectly. More than what I expected! So I really at this point in time, just want one with no imperfections. I don't want a refund. So far, the Flicker Issue seems to be gone, but time will tell. The Yellow Tinge is ever so slight & I myself, may have not even noticed if I hadn't been surfing for posts & found what I found. There are people I'm sure who aren't technical savvy who bought theirs & don't even realize there is a problem with their brand new iMac. None of which, are people on this forum of course. Ignorance is sometimes bliss. But I will not let this go without Apple taking care of me in the end. They would not want to lose me as a Customer (I don't Think). I've bought plenty of Apple Products in the last 3 years & made sure to stress that in my Phone Conversation with the Apple Rep.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know how you feel I was exactly the same with my iMac. I found out on the Internet that the 20" models suffered from a colour gradient between the top and bottom. Its ever so slight on mine, but it is there and it annoyed the hell out of me for the first 6 months, especially knowing that I'd spent so much money on a less than perfect product.

Mines only noticeable if you really go out of your way to show it and as it hasn't gone any worse its not so big an issues now, however it does annoy me that Apple don't seem to care and are happy to ship them anyway, hoping people like us will put up with inferior products and still be happy to pay top dollar.

My MBP on the other hand I won't put up with because they shouldn’t be allowed to get away with releasing faulty goods. Mine suffers from the banding problem where some of the LED backlights don't illuminate. I end up with a regular pattern of light and dark vertical bands about an inch apart running across the whole width of the screen. If I turn the screen off and back on a few times or do a reboot they do normally disappear. I did think this would get worse as time went by but again it doesn't seem to have gotten any worse and only seems to be happening very infrequently which is why I tend to forget the keyboard commands to toggle the screen and end up doing the reboot method Razz I still want it sorting out before my Applecare expires though.

Last edited by Cypher on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend has a burned out pixel near the center of her 24" iMac I noticed it right away, but she's been using it for 4 months and I'm not certain she even know about it. I figured I'd keep my mouth shut, unless she said something. Smile
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burnt out pixels are hard NOT to see. My slight Yellow only shows up on Craigs List & all White Pages. And sometimes not even then. Here is a video I posted on YouTube. I don't know if my Mini-DV Camera shows it correctly but go have a look & tell me what you think.

Here is the Link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGjOZdzrz8w
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't tell from that video but that is similar to the colour gradient problem on the 20" iMacs however rather than the yellow tinge that your seeing what I see are darker colours at the top of the screen and a lighter washed out shade of the same colour as you move down the screen.

I can show it by creating a block of colour in graphics package such as pixelmator or acorn, and using a flood fill with a single colour.

Pastel colours are more noticeable than vivid colours as they seem to show the washout much more

Last edited by Cypher on Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:33 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be stretching to say I can notice what you are talking about. It isn't clear enough.

If you make another video, I suggest you use your mouse pointer to highlight areas that you are referring to as you speak. Perhaps zooming in a bit on the left hand side would make it more evident.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I did Zoom in towards Left at end of Video buts it's really hard to see. Maybe I can do a screen capture. How do I post a Photo on here again?
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dino1956 wrote:
Yes, I did Zoom in towards Left at end of Video buts it's really hard to see. Maybe I can do a screen capture. How do I post a Photo on here again?

A screen capture will only capture the raw image. It won't capture the yellow tinge.

I recommend you take a static image with a digital camera, post that image to an internet photo sharing site. I use Skitch to post to this site. Flickr or any other image posting site will work. After that type [img]Url of image[/img] to post to this site. I recommend you sign up for a trial version of Skitch. You'll love it. They don't bug you after you sign up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: