123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Triple? SL-W7-XP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:12 pm    Post subject: Triple? SL-W7-XP Reply with quote

I have been trying to add a dual boot on the windows side of my platform. I currently use a mac mini in SL, and using Bootcamp I loaded and successfully have been using Windows 7.

I have valid and authentic cd's of both windows systems, and I have used the XP disc before with no issues when it was just a mac-XP dual boot.

Last month, I decided to go with a clean install of Windows 7, and removed the XP OS.

Now I decided to try having a triple boot mac.

1) I have successfully loaded Windows 7 Home edition using bootcamp. The system had no issues.

2) I made a 20 GB unallocated partition in Windows 7 for XP Pro/SP3. Shut it down and restarted with the XP disc (using the "Option" key and selecting the disc).

3) XP seemed to fully install and I had the XP disc format the unallocated partition as NTSF. But at the very end of the installation when it read "Press any key to restart", I got the message "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem". So XP would never re-start.

4) Checking the partioned files while in Windows 7, the unallocated volume was successfully formated by XP as NTSF and it looks like all of the XP files are there.

5) I did this several times while in Windows 7, of wiping out the partition and going through the xp install process with no successful restart of XP after the install point is reached "restart using any key".

Each time when I would check while in Windows 7, the windows xp files and format appeared in the new partition. But never a success restart of XP after installation says it is complete, to be more precise.

I even used BCDedit while in Windows 7, and added the XP to the boot ladder. I was able to get a dual boot screen in windows, and anytime I chose Windows XP I got the message "Windows could not start because of a computer disk hardware configuration problem".

So is it because of Bootcamp? I just thought that as long as I was in Windows I could create a seperate dual boot.

I know that virtualization is an option, but my preference is not to go that route and keep the OS's on a seperate platforms.

In the end I can live without XP, but I thought it would be nice to have all three systems, so I gave it a try and became more and more obsessed with trying to get it to work.........LOL. I know that none of you have been in that obsessed mode before.

Thanks for reading this long post and your thoughts and comments are appreciated.
EXT. HD:Lacie D2Quadra-1TB and WD Studio 2TB
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don,

In relation to XP & Windows 7 together, I have found it better to install the older/earlier version first.

W7 plays dirty sometimes. It's known to have boot issues when installed alongside other earlier versions of Windows like XP.

Here I am talking about the PC world, but the same unwritten rule applies.

Installing the oldest OS first has worked for me.

Aqua.

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, thanks you have always been good with advice.

I should have done the easus route you recommended to me before, when I had XP on there already. But it wasn't letting me partition just the windows xp drive side.. Easus viewed the entire drive, Mac and all, as one large HD. And did not want to mess with anything involving mac, bootcamp and that. So it spooked me and I thought "I'll just get W7 in there and try it XP install, later if I still want it".

I think you are right about having the older system in there first. Everything I have read says that XP has to do it's own format and that after XP has successfully installed to download .Net Framework 2.0 and EasyBCD. And that's been the stickler (not getting XP to to complete that last step of restarted in XP after the install says hit any key to restart).

Well if I find a successful solution I will post it so others follow my inept steps. LOL.

But in the end I really do not want wipe out W7 and start with XP again, I don't want to risk my W7 install and activation (it's an upgrade disc), so I may just let it go. Heck, what do I need XP for? LOL.

Thanks
EXT. HD:Lacie D2Quadra-1TB and WD Studio 2TB
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonCarlos wrote:
Heck, what do I need XP for?

Well you can always have it as a backup system that allows you to 'read' & retrieve files from a crashed W7 partition.

In my case, I use a PE variant called MicroXP alongside of W7.

I copy files across both systems as well as keep a separate 'data' partition as back-up insurance.

As shown here in this post.

W7 with XP

BTW : EasyBCD was originally intended for Vista.

It wasn't designed to be used to multi-boot from XP. (although it can be done, it can lead to other problems)

Furthermore, it may not work correctly with W7.

The developer seems to have done little with EasyBCD since 2008. Having gone over the NeoSmart site, there seems to be no 'official' information regarding W7. That in itself seems puzzling...Confused

I can add that there are some posts on Google claiming success using EasyBCD with W7; but I would approach such claims with caution.

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: