123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Audio In / Digital audio out
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2005 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Audio In / Digital audio out Reply with quote

travism wrote:
I agree it's a better choice and it's not that expensive at around 100 bucks.

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/Transit-main.html

Has anyone used the digital audio in with GarageBand? And, if so, what's the verdict?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
numediaman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update concerning my M-Audio Audiophile USB device and the mini.

I ordered the device last week as a replacement for both my iMic and the Philips device that arrived last week (see previous post). It arrived today and I immediately installed the driver and suddenly . . . I lost my speakers! Unbelievable! I tried everything, but suddenly there was no sound coming out of my Soundsticks!

I called M-Audio and they were surprised, to say the least. But the guy in customer support was very good and we walked through the installation. Nothing there. We downloaded a new driver and went through the installation again. Everything is fine, but my speakers are not working. The port is OK, the M-audio device is OK, but suddenly I have dead speakers.

Well, there is nothing the M-Audio guy can do because their device works, my mini works, its simply my speakers -- they have died at the exact same time I've installed a new audio device.

I play around with the wiring some more, unplug, replug . . . nothing. Finally, I rub the top of the woofer, say a little prayer . . . and suddenly they spring to life!

So . . . here is my take on things. The M-Audio Audiophile USB device is great. I now get great recording from Garageband, the quality is good, etc.

But . . . I have a haunted pair of speakers . . . or a haunted mini . . . or I'm going insane (not that this would surprise anyone). There you have it -- it's time to open a bottle of wine and forget about the world.
iMav
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does that device have optical, digital sound input?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xmen65
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So . . . here is my take on things. The M-Audio Audiophile USB device is great. I now get great recording from Garageband, the quality is good, etc.

What instrument are you playing into it or are you just using for a microphone?
numediaman

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My set-up is like this: turntable > little dedicated amp > Audiophile USB > keyboard USB > mini. You can substitute a mic or an instrument at the beginning of the string. I also have a separate M-Audio midi device hooked up to my keyboard -- though the Audiophile will work as a midi keyboard interface, as well.

By the way, Garageband is still having trouble with the sound when the monitor is on. The sound will be fine for about 30 seconds, but then I'll get huge popping sounds. Strangely, these sounds are not on the end product -- that is, you hear then during recording, but not during playback. Very strange. I noticed this with the iMic, too.

By the way, does anyone have any experience with "Soundsoap"?
idave

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

numediaman wrote:

By the way, does anyone have any experience with "Soundsoap"?

No I just know it's a 100 dollars! Sad Have you ever heard of Audacity? It might be one you should check out because it does a pretty good job of getting rid of background noise.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
James T. Kirkę

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

idave wrote:
Have you ever heard of Audacity? It might be one you should check out because it does a pretty good job of getting rid of background noise.

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

It's a well known audio tool in the linux world and free!
~ Registered Linux user #310054 ~
made in Xandros 3.0 (Linux)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Accessories All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: