123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Briefly: Apple Holding Special Event January 26th?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gigaguy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see this 'slate' thing, early on, as maybe popular with teens-twenties kids (whose parents can afford it), and as a gateway to devices that will truly augment newspapers, magazines, other publications, and as an e-reader. newspapers and magazines are very eager for new applications for their content as paper printed material fades.

I think it will definitely be more successful than the Air (and much cheaper) and will break ground in many unforseen ways like the iphone/Touch has. esp if it has the some amazing tech, as rumored like the 'tactile' touch key system.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
I think it will definitely be more successful than the Air (and much cheaper) and will break ground in many unforseen ways like the iphone/Touch has. esp if it has the some amazing tech, as rumored like the 'tactile' touch key system.

I agree. If priced right, I think it will be way more successful than the MacBook Air. I'm not sure about the keyboard though. That 'tactile" type touch system isn't all that great on the Blackberry Storm. I more or less see this as being an oversized iPod touch for media, surfing, chatting, social and email with the same type of keyboard.
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Mon Dec 28, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was about to buy a 13" MBP, will now wait!

Don't think a tablet will work for what I need (school), but I'll wait incase they also update the MBP lineup...

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
JohnnyDark

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Wait? Reply with quote

Would anyone forgo buying a mini right now in lieu of this announcement? Just curious because I was all set to buy a new mini and am wondering if I should wait and see what this news is all about. Or, does anyone think there will be any change in mini specs anytime soon?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Wait? Reply with quote

JohnnyDark wrote:
Would anyone forgo buying a mini right now in lieu of this announcement? Just curious because I was all set to buy a new mini and am wondering if I should wait and see what this news is all about. Or, does anyone think there will be any change in mini specs anytime soon?

Highly doubt there will be a change in the mini. The mini was just updated on Oct 20, 2009.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
In addition, the only time you can use a tablet is while you are holding it. Lot's of fun during 2 hour movies Smile

It could have something that swings out like picture frame, but I hear you man. I would rather the thing be like a hybrid/swivel tablet. I don't think Apple will go there though.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 64,000 dollar question is, will the iSlate be a 10 inch flat Mac Mini or a 10 inch fat iPhone? Will it run OS/X or iPhone OS? Will it be a small PC or a big Phone? Or will Jobs yet wow the world again with something that is seamlessly both?
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
ma5ter5

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:36 pm    Post subject: Hybrid Tablet Reply with quote

I currently own a toshiba r25 hybrid tablet. It is a very useful tool for when i was in school. I can type papers, and take handwritten notes during classes ( was using MS OneNote, which, aside from some flaws, its actually a perfect program for students). Granted there are some structural drawbacks to the hybrid design, but if they are worked out, a hybrid would be an amazing laptop.

If Apple released a hybrid tablet, it could make a HUGE splash in the education market. Most of my fellow grad students are using MBP and macbooks, but like the functionality of my tablet.

My two cents.
iPod Touch 2nd gen 32gb (dead, stupid washing machine incident)
iPod nano 1st gen 4gb
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Hybrid Tablet Reply with quote

ma5ter5 wrote:
If Apple released a hybrid tablet, it could make a HUGE splash in the education market. Most of my fellow grad students are using MBP and macbooks, but like the functionality of my tablet.

My two cents.

It likely would, but there is a big difference between a hybrid and dedicated tablet.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
The only reason, I hope Apple makes a tablet is so people can stop wishing for it. Unless Apple totally changes my way of thinking about tablets, I don't think a tablet will succeed. It will likely be less successful than the MacBook Air.

An OS X Tablet computer already exists. And I don't know anyone who's bought one... http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=home
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ma5ter5 wrote:

Yeah, a hybrid would be so cool! Cool

I still doubt they will go that way though. Sad

JohnnyBoy wrote:
An OS X Tablet computer already exists. And I don't know anyone who's bought one... http://www.axiotron.com/index.php?id=home

Those aren't bad looking JB, but I don't think that is what the masses are looking for. They want Apple sexy with multi-touch and unique apps. Perhaps even some 3G connectivity. I mean, with someone other than AT&T. Wink
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ilife 10 ( 64 bit)
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray Finkle wrote:
ilife 10 ( 64 bit)

A 64-bit iPhoto would be awesome.

BTW, I would like to see Apple make something like this new hybrid tablet from Lenovo.

http://gizmodo.com/5440054/lenovos-ideapad-u1-is-one-smart-dual+processor-laptoptablet-hybrid
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it is the tablet getting announced - Microsoft is already ahead of Apple (the question is, will it gain popularity like Apple products do?)
http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222200466
Swim Jim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
If it is the tablet getting announced - Microsoft is already ahead of Apple (the question is, will it gain popularity like Apple products do?) http://www.informationweek.com/news/software/operatingsystems/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=222200466

I don't think it will be as popular. Apple just has too much going for them at the moment. Plus, it will undoubtedly be tied into iTunes and the App Store. That is a lethal combination when it comes to providing content for the device. I just don't that Microsoft or HP can compete with. That being said, the tablet from HP could run a full version of Windows 7. I somehow don't think the tablet from Apple will run Snow Leopard, so that could be an advantage for the one from HP. The tablet from HP could also come in at a much lower price point. That could also give them an advantage in selling a tablet to cheapskates like myself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: