123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Briefly: Apple Holding Special Event January 26th?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Briefly: Apple Holding Special Event January 26th? Reply with quote

Briefly: Apple Holding Special Event January 26th?
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

The Financial Times is reporting that Apple has scheduled a special media event for Tuesday, January 26th at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts in San Francisco. They said the company is expected to use the venue to make a major product announcement, but both the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts and Apple declined to comment.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1407.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my guess is new

mac book pros

They don't spec well against the new minis.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
epic_ed

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gotta be about a tablet device at this point. I don't think new MacBooks are worthy of an event. They didn't have one for the new iMacs and minis.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You think they will go the tablet route?

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they have one coming for sure. Not only for the iPod and iPhone stuff, but they are going to go after the Kindle market big time with books and magazines. I think that is their "in" to the marketplace with the device.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 23, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it's Intel Core i5's and i7's on the MacBook Pro lineup, and perhaps even a mobile version for the MacBook Air? ...I also remember reading a while ago that Intel was releasing 6-core CPU's in 2010, which could be used on the Mac Pro, but I don't think the Mac Pro is that popular and deserves an event.

Toshiba also found a way of creating 64GB flash memory, like the one used on the touch and iPhone. That would mean a 64GB iPhone and 128GB iPod touch.

...or like others are saying, it could be the long awaited tablet. It might also be a Sony Vaio P or Vaio X like NetBook. Just assumptions Smile
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just want to see (and perhaps buy) this tablet so we can all be done with it. I'm so tired of reading about it all the time.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They should come out with a tablet. Hell, even my wife is asking about it all the time. That being said, I just can't see myself buying one at this time. What's it really going to offer me over an iPhone? Interactive books and magazines....yawn! Now with that being said, there's nothing wrong with Santa bringing me one next year if it truly is a groundbreaking device, as long as that groundbreaking functionally comes in at under $500 smackers. Wink
somefreak90

PostPosted: Thu Dec 24, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They declined to comment? That probably means "yes." Smile
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
Maybe it's Intel Core i5's and i7's on the MacBook Pro lineup, and perhaps even a mobile version for the MacBook Air?

I'm almost thinking the MacBook Air could be EOL'd if they come out with a tablet.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 25, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I just can't see myself buying one at this time. What's it really going to offer me over an iPhone?

I agree. Applications will have to be specifically written to work with a touch screen. It's not like OS X native apps are going to be easy to control with a touchscreen. Basically you'll have an over-sized iPod Touch.

Honestly if someone were to offer me a tablet for free, I wouldn't want it. I'd rather have a touch because it is small. The only reason, I hope Apple makes a tablet is so people can stop wishing for it. Unless Apple totally changes my way of thinking about tablets, I don't think a tablet will succeed. It will likely be less successful than the MacBook Air.
snolan

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:48 am    Post subject: I'd like to see a 4th gen MacBook Air with 4GB and lock port Reply with quote

I would love to see a bump in memory and solid state drive on the MacBook Air, and the addition of a Kensington security cable style lock port.

Having graphics that draws less power would be nice too.

I don't think that warrants a special announcement though...

I think the announcement is about some new software or media appliance; a replacement of the AppleTV perhaps.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Honestly if someone were to offer me a tablet for free, I wouldn't want it. I'd rather have a touch because it is small. The only reason, I hope Apple makes a tablet is so people can stop wishing for it. Unless Apple totally changes my way of thinking about tablets, I don't think a tablet will succeed. It will likely be less successful than the MacBook Air.

I feel the same way Bandit. I just don't see a tablet as being a practice portable device for someone like myself. I mean, Apple would have to come out with some jeans with humongous back pockets for me to even consider buying one. Wink

Honestly, how to you realistically hold and type on a tablet beyond one finger pecking? I'm sure it will have bluetooth, but then you need to tote that stuff along. I'm just not seeing this device as being practical. You've got a lot of selling to do Steve!
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Honestly, how to you realistically hold and type on a tablet beyond one finger pecking?

In addition, the only time you can use a tablet is while you are holding it. Lot's of fun during 2 hour movies Smile

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
epic_ed

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2009 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holding a tablet will be very akward. I see a bunch of funny straps and trays coming to hold up the device while you work.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: