123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini Receives Editors' Choice Award from Macworld

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Mac mini Receives Editors' Choice Award from Macworld Reply with quote

Mac mini Receives Editors' Choice Award from Macworld
Sunday, December 13, 2009
Posted by: Brian

Macworld handed out their 25th annual Editors' Choice Awards this week and the Mac mini was one of the winners. Around 120 products were nominated for the award this year based on usefulness, value, innovation, and overall excellence. And in the end, it was the Mac mini and nine other products left standing in the hardware category. The new models introduced this year, along with the Mac mini with Snow Leopard Server, had won their hearts over.

The past year proves that Apple does indeed care about the Mac mini and, in fact, is using it to push the compact-computer envelope. The Mac mini isn't for everyone; it's the least-powerful Mac - laptop or desktop - that Apple offers. But it's an extremely impressive machine for the size, and it's a good fit for both switchers and people on a budget. It also makes a great second Mac, and it's an appealing option for a Mac-based media system. This year, we were glad to see that the Mac mini is still very much alive.

Other winners from Apple this year included the iPhone 3Gs and iPod touch in the hardware category and Logic Express 9 in the software category.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1399.html
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Macmini is no longer the least powerful computer from apple.

The stock mini is a 2.26ghz. 2gb ram 160gb hdd.

The stock macbook air is a 1.83ghz. 2gb ram 120gb hdd.

The stock macbook pro 2.26ghz 2gb ram a 160gb drive.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
The Macmini is no longer the least powerful computer from apple.

I was just about to say the same thing. It's amazing how easily the "Pro" label tricks people in thinking differently. The Mac mini is right on par with the 13" and 15" 2.53GHz MacBook Pro.

It was a good year for the Mac mini though. I know the '09 models got me off the fence and upgrading again.
Zuma

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The MacBook also tops out at 2.26GHz with basically the same specs. It's also sans firewire 800 and a dedicated audio in port. Sorry Macworld, but the Mac mini is not the slowest Mac.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think Apple could have done something more exciting with the case (even adding some color options like Dell has done with the Zino), but the 2009 models are really attractive from a feature standpoint. The only weakness on that front in my book is the lack of HDMI. I would rather have HDMI + Mini-DP any old day. You certainly can't say the new Mac mini lacks ports though. Having firewire 800 rules!
mabaker

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I absolutely adore the timeless design of the MacMini and I'm really glad about 5 USB ports as well as really glorious speed (mine is 2.53 GHz).

Can't believe I'm packing the power of a Powermac G5 in this little beast. You really have to put the things into perspective to appreciate it.

And about Macworld's comment on speed - I can't fathom how an ordinary user can differentiate between a 2.53 and 3.09 processor. Not possible. Both will be silky smooth so the argument of speed doesn't even apply here.

Anyway way to go for the mini! Laughing
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
I still think Apple could have done something more exciting with the case (even adding some color options like Dell has done with the Zino), but the 2009 models are really attractive from a feature standpoint. The only weakness on that front in my book is the lack of HDMI. I would rather have HDMI + Mini-DP any old day. You certainly can't say the new Mac mini lacks ports though. Having firewire 800 rules!

Well, you could say having HDMI and eSATA would rule even more.
If I had the option to pick a color, black aluminum would be my choice.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mabaker wrote:
I absolutely adore the timeless design of the MacMini and I'm really glad about 5 USB ports as well as really glorious speed (mine is 2.53 GHz).

Can't believe I'm packing the power of a Powermac G5 in this little beast. You really have to put the things into perspective to appreciate it.

And about Macworld's comment on speed - I can't fathom how an ordinary user can differentiate between a 2.53 and 3.09 processor. Not possible. Both will be silky smooth so the argument of speed doesn't even apply here.

Anyway way to go for the mini! Laughing

I have to second everything you said. I agree that the little box is timeless and still the smallest, most powerful Core 2 Duo computer you can get. It blows all the netbooks away. And its proportions are right, unlike the Zeno. I kinda wish the top would light up though. That would be cool!
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 13, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

basically If I were steve I would make it an inch taller. make it have 2 hdds on the inside and a blu-ray add an esata and add a hdmi. also make it that the hdds could be the 12.5mm wd10tevt . right now the mini lacks the ability to fit 2 1tb hdds the 2.5inch type from wd by less then 1mm.

Just think a 2tb/2hdd mini with blu-ray a 2.93 cpu or a 3.06 cpu with 8gm ram. The size only needs to be about 1 inch taller. with the huge mm upgrades. they will do more next time. i look for a blu ray option soon.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: