123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVI to HDMI

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AcoustiPlaya

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:44 am    Post subject: DVI to HDMI Reply with quote

so i am planning on puchasing a mini in the next month or so and had one quick question... I have a 42" hd lcd projection tv with hdmi input, if i get a cord that goes from dvi to hdmi and plug my new mini in with it, will there be any problems? thanks

MacMini 1.5 GHz/1 Gig/Super Drive
4 Gig Black Nano
4 Gig Mini
1 Gig Shuffle
Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: DVI to HDMI Reply with quote

AcoustiPlaya wrote:
so i am planning on puchasing a mini in the next month or so and had one quick question... I have a 42" hd lcd projection tv with hdmi input, if i get a cord that goes from dvi to hdmi and plug my new mini in with it, will there be any problems? thanks

Yes, it won't work.

The electrical specifications of an HDMI interface and a DVI interface are different. It is not simply a matter of changing a connec tor and using a different pinout. For that reason, I think you'll find that no such cables exist.

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: DVI to HDMI Reply with quote

Ranter wrote:
AcoustiPlaya wrote:

Yes, it won't work.

The electrical specifications of an HDMI interface and a DVI interface are different. It is not simply a matter of changing a connec tor and using a different pinout. For that reason, I think you'll find that no such cables exist.

You sure about that Smile

http://www.gefen.com/kvm/cables/dvi2hdmi.jsp
Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: DVI to HDMI Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
Ranter wrote:
AcoustiPlaya wrote:

Yes, it won't work.

I was sure, but apparently I was also wrong Smile

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: DVI to HDMI Reply with quote

Ranter wrote:
ack_mac wrote:
Ranter wrote:
AcoustiPlaya wrote:

Yes, it won't work.

I was sure, but apparently I was also wrong Smile

Smile For the record, I was not trying to bust your chops Ranter.. On a number of occassions your posts on these forums have really helped this switcher out...

Thanks...
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranter

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: DVI to HDMI Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:

Smile For the record, I was not trying to bust your chops Ranter.. On a number of occassions your posts on these forums have really helped this switcher out...

Thanks...

No problem, my friend. I hate to give bad advice, and I appreciate that you set me straight on this issue.

Your message was to the point and friendly, no reason for me to take offense Smile

Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: