123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

is the new iMac 27 inch the best buy for an apple

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:16 pm    Post subject: is the new iMac 27 inch the best buy for an apple Reply with quote

The quad core is 2200 with the higher i7 processor. you can buy 4 sticks of 4gb ram for under 800 if you are a good shopper and a 2tb hdd can be found for 150. so for 3150. you get a fully maxed machine.

2.8ghz 16gb ram and a 2tb hdd plus the built in screen. the wireless keyboard and wireless mouse. Plus you have 2 2gb sticks of ram and a 1tb hdd to sell on ebay. you can get 150 for that.

so 3000 net. even less if you buy the iMac with a few discounts.

If you max out a macbook pro it will cost 2800 for the best processor. plus 400 for ram and 150 for the 640gb drive a total of 3350 minus the sale of the 2gb ram sticks and the 500gb hdd say 125 you pay 3225. the machine has a 3.06 core 2 with 8gb ram and a 640gb hdd

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget the 27" screen. That's worth $500 in IMO. If the wife would let me I'd buy a 27" with the i7 in a heartbeat.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in your boat tony. I would love to get one.

It also shows macbook pros need an upgrade now.

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it all depends on if you are going to use all that power. Why buy a Bugatti if you only use the vehicle to pick up the kids and buy groceries?

In my opinion a 24" iMac refurb for $1150 is a great buy.

Phil and I come from two entirely different schools of thought. The way I think is if the $1150 iMac keeps me happy for 3 years and I've spent $2000 less. Just imagine what that $2000 could buy me in 3 years time. It would make the $3000 machine of today look pathetic.

I personally don't like to invest in assets that depreciate, especially if borrowing in involved (double whammy). If the asset is making me money and I can justify the increase in productivity, then it would be an option. I'd also have to compare what $2000 could earn me in other investments.

Yah, I know, I'm no fun. But to me the only reason I would look at a maxed out 27" iMac is purely emotional reasons. I try not to get emotionally involved when it comes to big purchases. Especially computer purchases. The high from the purchase wears off pretty much as soon as the next "greatest" things comes out.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want the new imac. I don't buy it. LOL It is better then my needs. Like you say just wait a few more years!

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, I think with all of the tinkering you do, you could make a few bucks videoing your hobbies. You could either sell the videos to someone else, but even better, produce your own $.99 videos. Even if you're camera shy, you could have someone else narrate or have subtitles (in various languages).

Another thing that I've seen you do is provide valuable pricing information for free. It takes a lot of time and effort to do what you do. It's beyond what a pricebot is capable of and the info is much more credible.

The combination of your technical abilities and passion could earn you a few bucks. I bet you could pay for that iMac in no time.
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit, you sure are a Practical Thinker. I like to think of myself that way. But sometimes I get my heart & emotions set on something I want & get it, even though I don't necessarily need it.. But I'm pretty practical usually.Like I'm getting the new iMac for Christmas. Do I really NEED it ? Probably not. My Mini handles everything I do quite nicely but after using a Client of mine's iMac., (He has last years Model), I got suckered in. But this will be my last Mac for at least 3-4 Years for sure.
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I personally don't like to invest in assets that depreciate, especially if borrowing in involved (double whammy).

Wise words, Bill. That's why whenever I buy a car, it's always secondhand with cash. Never new on credit.

As for computers, I buy the cheapest Mac available and reserve any other money for software; IMO, it's the software that turns the computer into something useful/profitable.

Bandit Bill wrote:
Phil, I think with all of the tinkering you do, you could make a few bucks videoing your hobbies.

At the beginning of November, I taped a TV program called "Could the internet make you rich?". It showcased a few people who made good money from the web, working at home (The link is here -- to see the show, you have to click the "Amazing telly you can't miss - itv Player" image top-centre). The best example was a young woman called Lauren Luke who started by selling eye make-up on eBay, but later added YouTube vids showing how to apply the make-up to get a certain effect. A year later, she has 250,000 followers, her own published book, has made several TV appearances and written several newspaper articles.

So yeah, there's money an them there virtual hills...
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My girlfriend watched a few of those Lauren (make-up) videos on Youtube. When I saw her video, I instantly thought she had the potential to make cash with her talents. Pretty crazy, that you can make money doing something like this.

I know I have went to the internet to learn different techniques for tying ties and knots. I'd pay if I knew I was getting quality and if it saved me hours of time sifting through free/advertised junk.

I know OWC has install videos on their site. What a great way to bring people to your site, then sell them the hardware.

The nicest thing about making products like this, is once they are made, they can sit on the net for years and still potentially earn you money.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
The nicest thing about making products like this, is once they are made, they can sit on the net for years and still potentially earn you money.

Yes! I believe it's called 'passive income'... Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Desktops All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: