123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Linux/Ubuntu

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 2:23 am    Post subject: Linux/Ubuntu Reply with quote

I really appreciate Leopard more each day as I struggle to get Vista to work properly on my spare computer. Vista annoyed me so much the other day that I just wanted to sell it. I can't do it because I need a spare.

People have suggested I convert it to Ubuntu. Are there many programs for web site creation that work in that OS? Does iTunes work on it?

I have a Netflix account. I can't watch live video from the Starz channel using the Mac unless I use Internet Explorer with the Windows Media Player. It will allow me to stream movies using Safari. It uses the Silverlight plugin. Does anybody here use a Linux/Ubuntu OS to watch streaming movies from Netflix.

Is the VLC media player compatible with Ubuntu? I'm really into movies. I don't store them. I just watch them. I think Open Office works on Linux.

I need to be able to stream Netflix, play music, and work on my web site. If those can be met without needing to constantly tweak things about which I know nothing I would switch to Ubuntu.

If you have experience with doing these things on Ubuntu (the alleged easiest version of Linux) please let me know. If you know of a good place to learn about these things please do post a link to it.

Thank you.

Smallwheels (not willing to buy Windows 7)

www.MrMoneyHelper.com Get your free e-book about money.
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only answer some of your questions because I haven't experienced the full range of Linux software. What I can tell you is that openOffice and VLC media player work very well in Linux, whether Ubuntu or some other distro. There is no iTunes version for Linux, but the various open source music players you can get with it work very well. Rhythmbox, for one, will interact with an iPod.

As far as learning about Linux or Ubuntu specifically, I would recommend that you buy or borrow a book on it. There are many good ones out for Ubuntu in particular, but there are also books out on Fedora and openSUSE, two of the other majors. In my opinion, the most user-friendly distros to start with are: Ubuntu, Mandriva and Mint. A great place to start with to find out about the various distros is Distrowatch.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to try Mandriva & Ubuntu since both are livecds. I like mandriva much better now days.

For web designing, I remember a few years ago using Bluefish. It was a pretty good to me. There are others but I don't mess around with designing anymore.

http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Linux/Ubuntu Reply with quote

Smallwheels wrote:

People have suggested I convert it to Ubuntu. Are there many programs for web site creation that work in that OS? Does iTunes work on it?

Hi Smallwheels.

The simple answer is no.

There is no Linux version.

It can be run indirectly using the Wine emulator program.

Some guys have found a way to install a Windows version. But I am not sure it will work.

http://tinyurl.com/yftzs5c

Failing that, there are alternatives to iTunes that my be compatible.

http://tinyurl.com/yg9m9b8

Smallwheels wrote:
I have a Netflix account. Does anybody here use a Linux/Ubuntu OS to watch streaming movies from Netflix.

Looks like your presently out of luck on that front too. (unless you want to run it under Wine..as per above)

It seems like other Linux users have been trying to get a petition up & running to get Netflix to port their software over to Linux. Hard to say if they will succeed.

http://tinyurl.com/qwpn3n

Re Windows 7. Why not join Rapid.org.

http://rapid.org/board/

I am not advocating or suggesting anything.

Let's just say that they have some >>> interesting' <<< software & other stuff at their disposal..Cool

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Linux/Ubuntu Reply with quote

I once saw a tutorial about Mandriva. In two different videos the person doing them kept running into problems. He kept getting messages to do certain things. Then when he tried to follow the prompts it didn't work.

He obviously didn't write the software. If he did, he was really foolish to show people ways it didn't work. That was probably a year ago.

I went to the Mandriva site and see that a new version is coming out in December. Ghostdawg do you think the current versions of Mandriva are better than the ones out a year or more ago?

I also learned that one can make a partition on a flash drive and run the OS on that. It sounds intriguing. A few weeks ago I posted some opinions about the future of computing. Part of it was that people would carry around their computers on flash drives and just plug them in to hardware devices. I suppose this is one step towards that idea.

Smallwheels
www.MrMoneyHelper.com get your free e-book here.
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going by the reviews on Distrowatch, Mandriva 2010 does seem to be an improvement on 2009. But with all Linux distros there seems to be hardware peculiarities; for some unknown reason, distro x will work with this one and distro y will not. My suggestion is the pick the one you want to try and if it causes problems, go with another one.

Most modern distros will run live from a usb drive; you can use that to try out the one you want. But running it permanently that way is slower than running it from a hard drive. There are a few distros that are meant to run from a usb or CD; Puppy Linux and TinyCore come to mind. Both load everything into RAM when you start them up so they are very fast once startup is completed.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
But with all Linux distros there seems to be hardware peculiarities; for some unknown reason, distro x will work with this one and distro y will not. My suggestion is the pick the one you want to try and if it causes problems, go with another one.

This also applies within the same distro. For example, Ubuntu. The latest release has caused no end of problems; whereas the earlier version worked like a charm.

If your looking to dip your toes into the Linux world, then I'd go no further than Linux Mint.

As their blurb says...

"Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distribution whose goal is to provide a more complete out-of-the-box experience by including browser plugins, media codecs, support for DVD playback, Java and other components."

Every version they have produced, (and I have tried them all) has worked flawlessly.

I give it a 4.5 out of 5 Star rating.

(Only OS X gets a higher rating)...Wink

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out Crossover for Linux, it will let you run all your favorite Micro$oft software, nearly flawless, in Ubuntu. I have run many XP versions of programs in Ubuntu and my Mum is still using Ubuntu with Micro$oft Office on a daily basis with no issues for the last 6-9 months.

Knowing this, I suspect iTunes (windows version) should work as well.

*As with any emulator, nothing is guaranteed and some apps may run but not well, while others may be flawless.

My 2 Pence....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: