123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple finally sues unauthorized clone maker Psystar
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Livenstak wrote:

The argumentation of Psystar is that it's akin to Microsoft restricting Windows for Dell computers or Honda restricting his cars to ride only on certain roads.

No it's not since Microsoft doesn't own Dell and Honda doesn't own roads. That would fall under antitrust law though (I think, not a lawyer).

I thought of something else though, does Apple's warrenty prohibit the use of any other OS on their machines other than Apple products? If they perform such practices there could be a case against them otherwise they can say we choose to use OS X like Dell chooses Windows, but you can use what ever OS you want.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
frankdawsonjr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now reports are coming out that Apple wants Psystar to recall all of the Open Computers it has sold with OSX on it. Don't see how they could do this, Its not like you purchased stolen goods! I think Psystar will fold before any of this gets to that point, or court for that matter!
Chris..S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think a warranty can prohibit. But they can make conditions that either void the warranty or don't trigger it. E.g. If you install Linux on your mini and can't get the wifi to work its not Apple's problem.

The real difference is that Microsoft has a monopoly so the rules are different for it. Apple couldn't necessarily do the stuff it does, if it had a monopoly.

e.g. iPhone. while the iPhone is a small player in the market its reasonable for Apple to tie itself to single networks in countries where that is possible. There are plenty of other phones available for people on other networks. If the iPhone grew to have 70% of the market, then its likely that Apple could be forced to make the phone available to other networks.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frankdawsonjr wrote:
Now reports are coming out that Apple wants Psystar to recall all of the Open Computers it has sold with OSX on it. Don't see how they could do this, Its not like you purchased stolen goods! I think Psystar will fold before any of this gets to that point, or court for that matter!

It sounds like someone is worried. Wink

Yeah, I can't see that happening, or even getting that far.

Chris..S wrote:
If the iPhone grew to have 70% of the market, then its likely that Apple could be forced to make the phone available to other networks.

After owning an iPhone 3G for three days, I can tell you, that example doesn't seem so far-fetched. What a product! Wink
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris..S wrote:
I don't think a warranty can prohibit. But they can make conditions that either void the warranty or don't trigger it. E.g. If you install Linux on your mini and can't get the wifi to work its not Apple's problem.

I remember that someone had installed BSD on their mini and to get an Apple store to service it they had to reinstall OS X, Apple probably wouldn't mind being a small company as long as they can after reading about anti trust, if they were considered a monopoly they would be sued and fined out the wazzoo.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
frankdawsonjr

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
frankdawsonjr wrote:

It sounds like someone is worried. Wink

Yeah, I can't see that happening, or even getting that far.

Chris..S wrote:
If the iPhone grew to have 70% of the market, then its likely that Apple could be forced to make the phone available to other networks.

After owning an iPhone 3G for three days, I can tell you, that example doesn't seem so far-fetched. What a product! Wink

No not me, i don't own a psystar open pc. I did think about it though before i bought my mini. Glad i went with the mini now!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here come the judge!

"Apple wins crushing victory over Mac cloner"
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite the "Crushing victory" the headline says.

So far, the judge has only ruled on the issue of the one copy of OS X that was bought legally but then illegally cloned / imaged to Pystar's machines.

"Psystar argued that since it had purchased the copy of OS X which it then copied onto the clone PCs, it owned that copy and could do with it whatever it wished.

Nonsense, said Judge Alsup.

“The copies at issue here were not lawfully manufactured with the authorization of the copyright owner,” he wrote in his ruling.

“Psystar made an unauthorized copy of Mac OS X from a Mac mini that was placed onto an ‘imaging station’ and then used a ‘master copy’ to make many more unauthorized copies that were installed on individual Psystar computers.

That is where Pystar went wrong.

I suspect that if they (Pystar) had paid for individual copies of OS X; using one license per one machine, then the judge may have issued a different ruling.

As for the rest of Apples claims.

They remain unanswered as of the moment.

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> More News All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: