123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ATV doesn't like HDMI?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KoderKev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:26 am    Post subject: ATV doesn't like HDMI? Reply with quote

Just got my ATV and am having problems with using HDMI for my connection to my HDTV. I have cable box using HDMI1 and ATV using HDMI2. Once ATV boots it works fine, but if I change over to cable, when I come back to ATV the screen flip back and forth from ATV menu and blue screen with "no signal.". Component cables fix the problem, but would prefer to use HDMI since the picture quality is better.

Anyone know how to make HDMI work? TV is Olevia 237t if that helps.

Thanks!

2.3 ghz 2011 mini w/ 250 SSD & 8 gb RAM
2 tb ext. Time Machine HD "Superman"
1 tb ext. media HD "Batman"
32gb iPhone 5c
usarcher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a handshake issue to me. The bad part of HDMI is that both devices have to talk with each other in order to pass along the DRM info. When I switch from my Blu ray player to the AppleTV, both hooked up to a receiver, my TV (4 year old Samsung LCD) does a dance between having signal and not having signal. It always evens out though and I have signal, by the way it does the same thing changing from AppleTV to Blu ray. So how long are you letting it fluctuate? You might just need to wait a little more.
KoderKev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Usarcher! I have tried waiting a little bit (a minute or two) but it doesn't resolve itself in that time. After that I just gave up.

I've been doing some Googling of the problem and it appears that something in the 3.0 software broke the HDMI handshaking. I've found several people complaining of similar issues.

KK

32gb iPhone 5c
usarcher

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KoderKev wrote:
Thanks Usarcher! I have tried waiting a little bit (a minute or two) but it doesn't resolve itself in that time. After that I just gave up.

I've been doing some Googling of the problem and it appears that something in the 3.0 software broke the HDMI handshaking. I've found several people complaining of similar issues.

KK

Do you know what HDMI spec cable you are using? I had an older RCA one that would lose its signal after switching sources, replaced it with a version 1.3b category 2 cable and have not once lost connection.
dannyv45
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like your monitors EDID is not always being picked up by the ATV. This is a very common problem for users that switch between two or more sources. I've had this problem myself with my Mac Mini's.

Firstly try a good quality HDMI cable such as this one.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=102&cp_id=10240&cs_id=1024008&p_id=3992&seq=1&format=2

Keep the cable as short as possible. Long cable runs tend to add to the problem.

If that don't help try hooking the ATV to a different HDMI input on your monitor. (Not all inputs are created equal).

If neither help it could be an EDID issue.

There is a software solution but in your case you may find it difficult to implement on the ATV. Its really ment for a Mac Mini

There is also a hardware solution but this can be costly.

read this thread for more info.

http://www.123macmini.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24098&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=edid&start=0
KoderKev

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Danny,
The cable I have is a Belkin 6' that meets the 1.3 spec and has gold connectors. I bought it at the Apple store with the ATV. I know I shouldn't assume but one would think Apple wouldn't sell a cable that isn't compatible.

Is there a chance that a future software release will fix this issue?

32gb iPhone 5c
dannyv45
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KoderKev wrote:
Danny,
The cable I have is a Belkin 6' that meets the 1.3 spec and has gold connectors. I bought it at the Apple store with the ATV. I know I shouldn't assume but one would think Apple wouldn't sell a cable that isn't compatible.

Is there a chance that a future software release will fix this issue?

I don't think you will ever see a software update for this problem because its not a problem with the ATV. The ATV is doing exactly what it's susposed to do when it doesn't see a monitor. I would suspect the problem is the Olevia 237t. A good HDTV will keep the EDID on the input even when the input is switched away. Your Olevia 237t does not seem to do this. I would inquire to Olevia's technical support and see if they have a remedy. Another way to prove this out is to switch away the input to reproduce the problem then reboot your ATV. The picture will most likly return.

The reason is the ATV will look for and detect the monitor's EDID on startup. Once the ATV is started and finds the monitor the ATV has no need to continually look for the EDID. When you switch away the input the ATV thinks the monitor is shut down or disconnected. Here's where the problem comes in, When you switch back the input the HDTV is either not displaying the EDID on the input or It's unrecognizable to the ATV compared to what it saw at startup. Generally rebooting the ATV will make it search for EDID again and fix the problem.

If you eliminated the cable as a problem then I would suggest you read the links I've provided so you understand whats going on.

In those links you will find 2 ways to trick the ATV into thinking theres always a monitor connected even when there's not.

1. A hardware solution which will work but is costly.
2. A software solution which will work if you can figure out how to implement it into the ATV OS. This software is free but was designed for a mac which runs a full OS.
usarcher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other thing you might try is just unplug the HDMI cable and plug it back in at the back of the TV. The AppleTV is always outputting a signal even in 'sleep mode.' With the older cable I had sometimes doing that would work.

I would agree with Danny that this issue is most likely with your TV and not the fault of the AppleTV.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: