123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Apple TV 3.0.1 Software Update

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 6:03 am    Post subject: Apple Releases Apple TV 3.0.1 Software Update Reply with quote

Apple Releases Apple TV 3.0.1 Software Update
Sunday, November 8, 2009
Posted by: Kenan

Apple has announced the release of the Apple TV 3.0.1 software update, which prevents content from temporarily disappearing from the device. According to the company, there is an issue with Apple TV software version 3.0 that can possibly cause your content to disappear after a period of time. All users running Apple TV software version 3.0 should immediately restart their Apple TV and then upgrade to Apple TV software version 3.0.1. This update fixes the problem.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1373.html
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't had much time to mess around with the 3.0 software, but I don't like the sound of content disappearing. Perhaps a little more testing should be done next time around. I'm glad they released an update to fix it though. Rolling Eyes
iLife's a Bitch!
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

At least now I know my friend is not crazy Very Happy

He said some things were missing from his AppleTV, I just assumed he was imagining he had transferred them over.
Grover Time

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a bunch missing after updating to the 3.0 software. It took me forever to re-sync. Then they went missing again. Hope this works! I commented earlier about hating to re-sync the entire way. It takes forever and mine heats up like a toaster oven. That has got to be hard on the internal components
snolan

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Shoved out the update is more accurate Reply with quote

Sorry Apple, I am disgusted that a device I bought and paid for forces upgrades that I do not want.

This is the third time an upgrade has been applied automatically before I allowed it, before I was ready, and before the software that I added has been ready for the new version.

I paid for the device, I should get to decide. Period.

History of upgrades that I did NOT agree to:

May 13th, 2009: AppleTV upgraded from 2.3 to 2.3.1 on it's own; wiping out my installation of Boxee, Couch Surfer, Flash Plug-Ins, and my enabling of ssh. Instead of enjoying my AppleTV to watch what I wanted to watch, I spend a weekend re-installing Boxee, XMBC, Couch Surfer, and enabling ssh again; then re-installing my own content via scp. I never did recover flash plugins.

August 29th, 2009: AppleTV again upgraded itself (this time to 2.4); and again wiped out my own installs and media. I was more careful about documenting the May disaster, so re-installing everything was quicker (about 4 hours of my time)

November 11th, 2009: AppleTV upgraded itself to 3.0.1 without my agreement! Now I am inspired to sue Apple for my hours of lost time and chuck the box out the window. It is not even clear that all the software I use on my AppleTV will work with the new version yet (which is why I was waiting).

Frankly, this is exactly the crappy treatment we got from Microsoft and DISH network over our original DISHplayer 7200; it worked great for years then the relationship between the two companies soured and Microsoft started force feeding our DISHplayer upgrades we did not want; it became less and less stable as a DVR until we were forced off the device out of sheer disgust. DISH ended up giving us a free "upgrade" to a DishDVR 508 which did not have the same features (at the time) but was way more stable.

Perhaps I can get Apple to give me a free Mini to replace the broken and unstable AppleTV?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
snolan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 10:49 am    Post subject: Getting XBMC and Boxee working on 3.01 Reply with quote

A day later and I have cooled off enough to download the newest Apple TV firmware (3.01 is 2Z694-6004-003.dmg), and use that with ATVUSB-Creator (v1.0b10) to update my USB memory stick with new "patch stick" software. I bounced my Apple TV with the USB stick, which re-installs ssh, then bounced my Apple TV again.

Scouting several forums revealed that there is a new XBMC Launcher (3.2 beta3):

Code:
wget http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/858897/XBMC/Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run
scp Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run frontrow@appletv.local:/Users/frontrow
rm Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run
ssh frontrow@appletv.local
chmod +x Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run ; ./Launcher-3.2.beta3-debug.run

Then I used the new Launcher (now visible on Apple TV menus) to update to the latest versions of Boxee (aplha 0.9.14.6992) and XBMC (9.11 alpha). That gets XBMC and Boxee working again.

I still need to test Couchsurfer and see how to lock out the upgrade script.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
hackersmovie
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Shoved out the update is more accurate Reply with quote

snolan wrote:
Sorry Apple, I am disgusted that a device I bought and paid for forces upgrades that I do not want.

This is the third time an upgrade has been applied automatically before I allowed it, before I was ready, and before the software that I added has been ready for the new version.

I paid for the device, I should get to decide. Period.

History of upgrades that I did NOT agree to:

May 13th, 2009: AppleTV upgraded from 2.3 to 2.3.1 on it's own; wiping out my installation of Boxee, Couch Surfer, Flash Plug-Ins, and my enabling of ssh. Instead of enjoying my AppleTV to watch what I wanted to watch, I spend a weekend re-installing Boxee, XMBC, Couch Surfer, and enabling ssh again; then re-installing my own content via scp. I never did recover flash plugins.

August 29th, 2009: AppleTV again upgraded itself (this time to 2.4); and again wiped out my own installs and media. I was more careful about documenting the May disaster, so re-installing everything was quicker (about 4 hours of my time)

November 11th, 2009: AppleTV upgraded itself to 3.0.1 without my agreement! Now I am inspired to sue Apple for my hours of lost time and chuck the box out the window. It is not even clear that all the software I use on my AppleTV will work with the new version yet (which is why I was waiting).

Frankly, this is exactly the crappy treatment we got from Microsoft and DISH network over our original DISHplayer 7200; it worked great for years then the relationship between the two companies soured and Microsoft started force feeding our DISHplayer upgrades we did not want; it became less and less stable as a DVR until we were forced off the device out of sheer disgust. DISH ended up giving us a free "upgrade" to a DishDVR 508 which did not have the same features (at the time) but was way more stable.

Perhaps I can get Apple to give me a free Mini to replace the broken and unstable AppleTV?

I speak from experience having had a stock ATV and a hacked one:

snolan, would your issues/angst still persist if you hadn't installed your own "custom" software? Why would Apple be to blame, they update software to better the device AS IS WAS BUILT AND INTENDED TO BE USED. Not to interfere with people customizing the unit to their liking. I think that is one of the risks you take when you hack anything. You could brick it, or it could be wiped out with an update.

I could be wrong here but, I thought I recalled a way to manually update the ATV software. Mine always asks me if I want to download and install the new software, it has NEVER updated itself.

My 2 cents.
snolan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject: Good points Reply with quote

You are correct; I would care a lot less if I had not hacked my Apple TV to add XBMC, Boxee, etc...

The bottom line is that people should still get a say in the upgrade decision.

My Mac does not get updated the first day an update is available; nor should my Apple TV.

I have seen a way to disable the auto update; though I have not tested that yet... applying it now.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Good points Reply with quote

snolan wrote:
The bottom line is that people should still get a say in the upgrade decision.

What does the EULA say.

You can argue points either way. Personally, coming from support point of view, it is a hell of a lot easier to support a network with push upgrades than it is to support a network with a mismatch of configurations.

Push upgrades are the easiest way for improvements, compatibility and security.

Perhaps it doesn't work for you, but you're not the only Apple sells products to. For the majority of people, the process works.
snolan

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject: Push upgrades? Reply with quote

I am concerned that perhaps I was not clear enough in my original rant about the Apple TV upgrades.

I LOVE my iPhone, iPod and many Macs. OS X and application updates from Apple (Safari, iWork, etc) all work exactly the way I want the updates to.
A push notification shows up saying a new update is available; I defer for a few days while I research the impact; then choose to apply the update once I am comfortable with all the impacts.

This means that I am in control, and that I am always within a week or so of being up to date. Support for millions of Mac users is relatively easy because we all are pretty successful at keeping up to date when we have a few minutes within a week or so of the update being available.

My rant is because the last three updates to my Apple TV have not worked that way; though that used to be how they worked before.

The last three updates happened to my AppleTV when I was not even there. I discovered that an update had happened when I went to use my Apple TV and found I could not use it because it had changed on me with no notice, no warning, no option to defer until I learned more.

Was I not clear enough in the original rant? If so - sorry. I hope this is clearer. If I was clear enough and you think Apple should be allowed to push out involuntary updates... well, we will have to agree to disagree.

Involuntary upgrades, especially those without warning are flat out unacceptable, and I do not think I am alone in that position.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a lot more clear. I agree. I personally wait a while to see if there are issues with updates as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: