123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Review: SkinIt Skins For The Mac Mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Review: SkinIt Skins For The Mac Mini Reply with quote

Review: SkinIt Skins For The Mac Mini
Friday March 18, 2005

Looking for a good way to give your Apple Mac mini a custom look? Well SkinIt recently announced a new line of Skins for the Mac mini and may be your answer. The Skins retailing for $19.95 come in hundreds of stock designs. You can even upload your own design for an additional $2.95 and they have sections designated "Premium Designs" and "Sponsor Designs" that are coming soon. SkinIt was kind enough to send us a few samples and here's a brief review. The Skins come on one sheet of 8 x 11 backing in 4 pieces, one top, one front and two sides. The Skins are made out of high quality vinyl and have a really nice glossy finish.

The first step is to clean off your Mac mini with a soft damp cloth and dry it before applying the Skins. We suggest you keep the Skins on the backing until your ready to put each one on. We started with the Top Skin, when applying the top we suggest you use the back edge and corners of the Mac mini to guide you in lining it up. We then applied it going from the back of the case to the front of the case while pulling it up occasionally to straighten it out. Chances are if your straight in the back you'll be good in the front! Some bubbles and imperfections appeared but were easily rubbed out by finger. After applying the top we couldn't fail to notice how nice it fit the case and how the cutout for the Apple logo was centered perfectly. Some people may just want to use Top Skin because it really gives the Mac mini a sweet two-tone look while keeping some of the Mac mini's silver look. Our next step was to apply the Front Skin. We lined up the front cutout for the Mac mini's slot loading CD/DVD drive and used that for our centering guide, then going outwards we smoothed the corners over. The only snag we had with the Front Skin was we had to punch out the pre-cut hole for the power led light. "Make sure you do this before you put it on!"

Next we applied one of the Side Skins and ran into a little problem lining it up with the Front Skin. We suggest you take your time with this step if you want the two Side Skins to met up with the Front Skin and look like they are one solid piece without visible seems. Our only real disappointment with the SkinIt Mac mini kit is we feel it might have been better to make the Front and Side Skins one piece. Having only one piece instead of three pieces would've made the installation easier and given the Mac mini a more finished look, however, they may need to piece them like this because of the way some custom graphics print out. We kept the best news for last and can report that after applying four different Skins on our Mac mini that none of them left any marks or residue behind after taking them off! Overall we feel like this is a great way to give your Mac mini a custom look and would recommend this product.

Pro's
- Great way to customize your Mac mini.
- Top Skin fit was perfect.
- Skins have nice glossy finish.
- Quality and thickness of vinyl.
- Leaves no marks or residue on Mac mini.
- Added benefit of protecting case.

Con's
- Four piece design.
- No Skin for back of case.
- Hole for front LED power light.

http://www.123macmini.com/accessories/reviews/1.html

Last edited by admin on Sat Mar 19, 2005 8:53 pm; edited 5 times in total
travism

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey red! These really look better than I expected them to. The wood grain one is actually kind of cool.

Mini powered since 2-22-05!
jase

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a sucker for wood grain... that actually looks better than I expected it to.

If the rest of my desk area were more aesthetically appealing, I might consider one.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think most of the designs are tacky...but I must say they look pretty good on!
iLife's a Bitch!
travism

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
I'm a sucker for wood grain...

The wood grain one looks nice but isn't really my style. I might go ahead and order a red one! I'll probably just use the top piece and keep the rest silver. I'm going to end up scratching the top up because I have a bad habit of putting things on top of it.like car keys. If you haven't guessed already red is my favorite color because Im a huge St. Louis Cardinals fan.

Mini powered since 2-22-05!
whenrabbisattack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no doubt i will end up getting that lime green carbon fiber texture for my mac mini... MAYBE my ipod.. but i can't find a review for the ipod skinit stickers ANYWHERE... i don't want any of the ipod exposed except for the interfaces.

i've seen these things made by other companies but they always have the corners of the ipod exposed because of the rounded shape. there has to be a way to cover those corners... especially with a flexible vinyl sticker.

has anyone got one of these for the ipod?
Charles
News Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whenrabbisattack wrote:
no doubt i will end up getting that lime green carbon fiber texture for my mac mini... MAYBE my ipod.. but i can't find a review for the ipod skinit stickers ANYWHERE... i don't want any of the ipod exposed except for the interfaces.

i've seen these things made by other companies but they always have the corners of the ipod exposed because of the rounded shape. there has to be a way to cover those corners... especially with a flexible vinyl sticker.

has anyone got one of these for the ipod?

I'll do something on the iPod Skinit Skins and post some pictures soon. I think they're sending us some more stuff! Maybe we'll post some Mac mini's with matching iPods.

Charles
dbatrium

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:57 am    Post subject: SkinIt Skins For The Mac Mini Reply with quote

Now the woodgrain really is Retro.
I kinda like it but it would make someone who knows nothing about Macs look twice. LOL Laughing
JJ Surprised
senn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2005 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jase wrote:
I'm a sucker for wood grain... that actually looks better than I expected it to.

If the rest of my desk area were more aesthetically appealing, I might consider one.

Me too! I think a wooden riser for the mini would look good if it was stained to match your desk.
thelox714

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got stuff from them... its all great

i got the colombian flag for my mini.. got on for my phone.. and got one for my ipod 20gb color 4g.

my dad wants me to get him the one for his phone..

luv this site.. and free shipping.. it is only usps.. but free shipping
bloeb

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Wood grain Reply with quote

Is it me, or isn't the Wood Grain available?...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: