123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macworld Posts Review of Late 2009 Mac minis

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Macworld Posts Review of Late 2009 Mac minis Reply with quote

Macworld Posts Review of Late 2009 Mac minis
Tuesday, November 3, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

Macworld posted their review of the late 2009 Mac minis today. The review provides a really nice overview of the latest models. Here's how they summed them up. "The Mac mini continues to be a great option for those new to the Mac who already have a display, keyboard, and mouse. As for current Mac owners, if you purchased a Mac mini earlier this year, these relatively minor improvements are unlikely to convince you to upgrade unless a slight bump in performance will mean big productivity gains for your particular tasks. But if you've got an older Mac mini - or an older Mac of another line - and you're looking to upgrade, the latest minis are appealing. They give you all the impressive updates of the models released earlier this year along with better performance," writes Dan Frakes of Macworld.

Macworld awarded the late 2009 Mac minis 4 out of 5 mice. This is essentially the same score as they awarded the early 2009 Mac minis back in March. That being said, the $799 model saw its score raised slightly from 3.5 to 4 mice, reflecting better value in comparison to the $599 model this time around.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1369.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Nov 04, 2009 1:13 am; edited 1 time in total
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice to see 123MM mentioned in the review. Smile

I would be all over the 2.53GHz Mac mini if money wasn't so tight at the moment. It's amazing how this update switched my mindset. I wasn't even considering buying the top model before. I would have been happy enough with the $599 Mac mini and doing the upgrades on my own. Now, I just want the top model and to be done with it. Okay, and the thing is a little faster too. Smile
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really impressed with the 2.53GHz Mac mini. It was a nice step up in performance from an older 1.66GHz Mac mini. I'm also appreciating the support for FW800, 802.11n and dual displays, which seems too be less appreciated these days.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the summary.

It's nice to see Apple pricing the higher end model more attractively. This is the way it should be. Apple should benefit more in the long run.

This type of pricing is what consumer have come to expect.
20oz soda = $1
30oz soda =$1.25

When you price things this way most people go for the 30oz soda, whether they need it or not.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice analogy Bandit Bill. It was really smart of Apple to make the high end model more attractive again. Having them with the same C2Ds made no sense to me. At least there is some value now.
castaway

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually think the high-end Mac mini deserves a higher score than the new MacBook. They gave it four mice as well. Especially seeing the MacBook is sans IR port and firewire. It also beats the MacBook with a faster processor, more memory, and larger hard drive. In fact, it's more on level with the high-end 13" MacBook Pro. I think it's funny how some people seem to look past that. This may be the most competitive Mac mini ever.
cheef

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting review, enjoyed reading that. Those guys know how to put an article together.
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: