123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macworld Benchmarks New Mac Minis
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
What really matters to me are benefits. How much time are people spending using software and actually developing things. If you are a Photoshop user, do you take courses? If you do a lot of typing, do you work to increase your typing speed? Wouldn't these things actually make more of an impact to the amount you can create with a system? If you're just surfing the net, does it really matter if you have the latest/greatest?

Bill, I've been wanting to say something like this for a long time, but I've resigned myself to the idea that the 123MM membership is split into two camps: those that concentrate on what their Mini has (fastest CPU, biggest HDD, bluetooth connection to microwave oven Wink ) and those that focus on what their Mini does (movie-making, photo-editing, writing the next great novel).

I remember that a member called ArsenicPants asked many moons ago for a forum dedicated to the work that members do with their Minis, but it never happened. I suppose that the first group outnumbers the second group by some margin.
i have been in camp 1. i am looking to move camp 2. camp 1 is getting a little too old. i am tired of regearing up every 7 or 8 months.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
i have been in camp 1. i am looking to move camp 2. camp 1 is getting a little too old. i am tired of regearing up every 7 or 8 months.

I really had to laugh at that Philip! It seems to me your whole life resolves around fixing, upgrading, testing and expanding the internal capability of the Mac Mini, not only for yourself but for all of us as well! Shocked

[ And I mean that in the most complimentary of ways!]
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Bill, I've been wanting to say something like this for a long time, but I've resigned myself to the idea that the 123MM membership is split into two camps: those that concentrate on what their Mini has (fastest CPU, biggest HDD, bluetooth connection to microwave oven Wink ) and those that focus on what their Mini does (movie-making, photo-editing, writing the next great novel).

I remember that a member called ArsenicPants asked many moons ago for a forum dedicated to the work that members do with their Minis, but it never happened. I suppose that the first group outnumbers the second group by some margin.

I don't recall reading Arsenic's request, but I find that interesting.

I agree, there is a definite divide. I'm really often blown away by people who actually use their computers for productivity. I'm talking about on an extreme level. Often they are using older machines.

I agree the camp seems somewhat divided. I actually fall into another category. Information and research are primarily what I use my computer for. I don't do a lot of content creation, nor am I a hardware junkie. This is why I don't need the latest and greatest. I used to do more content creation with ancient Apple II's and Commodore 64's than I do today.

It's all good though. We wouldn't have techs and admin if we didn't have hardware junkies. We wouldn't have pretty Apple computers, if we didn't have creative types Smile

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phil, you were the first person I thought of when for camp 1 Smile Do you do very much content creation? Any examples?

p.s. I got tired of playing around with computer guts years ago, this was why I bought a Mac. I've never opened mine up except to upgrade the RAM and hard drive. This was only for a capacity increase, it's still a 5,400 RPM drive.

Last edited by Bandit Bill on Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
I for one am less about the Mac platform in general and more about the Mac Mini specifically, both what it can do and what I can do with it. There are lots of sites devoted to Mac generally but this is the only one I know of that is (supposedly) devoted specifically to the Mac Mini.

Very good point. This does favor a bit in the hardware aspect of the mini, it's limitations etc.

There are a few cases of people doing upgrades to run certain apps or correct certain issues.
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I agree the camp seems somewhat divided. I actually fall into another category.

Aw, Bill! There I was trying to impress everyone with my "Camp 1/Camp 2" theory, and then you come along and invent another camp! Wink Very Happy

Bandit Bill wrote:
I used to do more content creation with ancient Apple II's and Commodore 64's than I do today.

Tell me about it. I have stacks of disks containing the work that I used to create with an IBM PS/2, MS Works for DOS and the AutoSketch 2-D CAD program. Now I have a program that stops me from creating content. It's called "Safari". Rolling Eyes Smile

Bandit Bill wrote:
It's all good though. We wouldn't have techs and admin if we didn't have hardware junkies. We wouldn't have pretty Apple computers, if we didn't have creative types Smile

Absolutely. 123MM would be a strange place if nobody discussed Mini hardware. If (as a "Camp 2" member), I want to see more discussions about applications and content creation, then it's up to me to start threads and get the discussions going.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Faster hardware can help increase your workflow though. I also think it's about getting a good deal. People have certain expectations of hardware based on what else is available from other manufactures.
velocitytrap

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 2.0 core 2 duo and 4 gigs ram this ancient machine does everything I need and has power to spare. I would like to see a top of the line "older" model go against the newer mac mini. Sure they increased the bus speed and processor speed but the HD remains virtually the same.

I purchased the mini to surf the web, do excel spread sheets and write. Very basic needs. This machine fits the bill and room to spare. I run VMWare with windows at the same time and the mini still flys. Money well spent. I will say that getting a new SSD would make a huge difference and when it is time to upgrade it will make the mini seem like a whole new computer for about $200. Apple likes to capitalize on the "ooooo new and shiny".

This is not a dis on any mac mini users. To each their own. I'd take a new mini if it were free but mine still has a LOT of miles left in it.

PS I did see a preformance increase when I loaded Leopard on my mini. It's soooo "SNAPPY!"
Shito

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be really interesting to know about the 500GB HD Apple is offering as a BTO option on the hi-end mini...

--
The Future is Now
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my server came today it has 2 500gb hdd's I will test and report on wed.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epic_ed wrote:
Faster hardware can help increase your workflow though.

Up until now, I wasn't the type of Mini user who was too worried about CPU speeds. But I'm really interested in buying a speech-conversion app called MacSpeech Dictate and its minimum system requirements are a 2GHz processor and 2 gigs of memory. Now I'm wondering whether I should have waited for a 2.26GHz machine instead of buying my 2.0GHz Mini during the summer... Embarassed
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: