123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new development release of Chakra

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:55 am    Post subject: new development release of Chakra Reply with quote

For those of you interested in this Linux project, a new development release was issued yesterday. You can get it here.

Chakra is based on Arch Linux, but adds a GUI installer and uses a more flexible, lower overhead version of KDE called KDEmod. It looks very promising.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: new development release of Chakra Reply with quote

Saw it this morning too.

It does look promising, especially since it's built on such solid Arch Linux groundwork.

I reckon, I might stick around this distro for a while...see how things develop.

How about you ?

Aqua ( aka Aqualinux over at their forums ) Cool

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it enough to play with it often, but I'm bothered that there won't be an official release for another year. I am going to upgrade the earlier DR version I installed, and if I get inspired, I'll figure out how to compile in Chakra and then I'll try installing rkward.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:
I like it enough to play with it often, but I'm bothered that there won't be an official release for another year. I am going to upgrade the earlier DR version I installed, and if I get inspired, I'll figure out how to compile in Chakra and then I'll try installing rkward.

I think I read somewhere on the Chakra forums, that they're looking for volunteer compilers.... hint hint... Wink

Aqua

Which would you choose?

Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know what Chakra was.

When I read the title (New Development Chakra Released) I thought Shakira had went to jail and got released Laughing
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I didn't know what Chakra was.

When I read the title (New Development Chakra Released) I thought Shakira had went to jail and got released Laughing

Laughing Laughing

Which would you choose?

Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More of a spiritual concept, actually. According to wiki:
"Chakra is a concept referring to wheel-like vortices which, according to traditional Indian medicine, are believed to exist in the surface of the etheric double of man.[2] The Chakras are said to be "force centers" or whorls of energy permeating, from a point on the physical body, the layers of the subtle bodies in an ever-increasing fan-shaped formation (the fans make the shape of a love heart). Rotating vortices of subtle matter, they are considered the focal points for the reception and transmission of energies.[3] Seven major chakras or energy centers (also understood as wheels of light) are generally believed to exist, located within the subtle body."
The Chakra Linux development team must have liked the concept and applied it to their distro. I wonder if their wheel symbol was taken from elsewhere as well?
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Success on Chakra with my "indicator". Now I'm really taking it seriously. rkward was in their repositories; I didn't see it until I ran pacman, which is amazingly simple. I also used pacman to avoid having to reinstall to get the latest development release (Crush). Furthermore, I actually built an rkward package by accident (though I didn't try installing it). Very promising indeed. Next I will try running it live on my MSI Wind; the alpha version I tried awhile back didn't work.

Edit: I soon ran into the expected disadvantage of using a non-standard distro. Can you believe that there is no 64 bit version of wine (Windows emulator) available for Chakra or Arch (which it's built on)? It has to be built from source. I started doing that but after the second round of having to track down missing dependencies, I lost my patience.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: