123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Macworld Benchmarks New Mac Minis
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:21 am    Post subject: Macworld Benchmarks New Mac Minis Reply with quote

Macworld Benchmarks New Mac Minis
Saturday, October 31, 2009
Posted by: Kenan

Macworld has posted benchmarks of the new Mac minis introduced last week. They ran the new 2.53GHz and 2.26GHz models through a series of 17 different tests, comparing them to each other, and with a 2.0GHz Mac mini from early this year. Macworld said the results of these tests showed the new Mac minis to be "impressively" faster. They also threw a 1.83GHz Mac mini from 2007 into the testing mix. The new 2.53GHz Mac mini was shown to be up to 36 percent faster than this model.

With its considerably faster 2.53GHz Core 2 Duo processor and 4GB of RAM, it's no surprise that the new $799 Mac mini was noticeably faster in our tests. When looking at the time it took to run through all 17 of our timed tests, the new $799 model was 10 percent faster than the $599 2.26GHz Mac mini. Once we configured the 2.26GHz Mac mini with 4GB of RAM instead of the stock 2GB, we saw that performance benefit of the 2.56GHz Mac mini shrink to about 7.4 percent. The 2.53GHz Mac mini was about 9 percent faster in our Photoshop CS4 tests suite than the standard configuration 2.26GHz Mac mini, though adding that additional 2GB of RAM to the $599 model closed the performance gap to around 6 percent. The $799 model was 11 percent faster in our Cinebench test and 28 percent faster in our iPhoto import test, though, again, a significant part of that performance difference was eliminated when we added the memory to the $599 system.

The crew over at Macworld also said to check back next week for a full review of the new Mac minis. They'll also be unveiling their new Speedmark 6 test suite at the same time, so we'll keep you posted.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1366.html
castaway

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been thoroughly impressed with the 2.53 GHz Mac mini. It's very snappy!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's impressive but not surprising, give the processor speed. I have the "ancient" 1.83 mhz mini it was compared with. With the 4 ghz RAM (3 available) and the 7200 rpm drive I added, it's plenty fast already. Add the same to the new mini and you'll have one impressive Mac!
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish they had included a Core Duo Mac mini in the testing. I'm about ready to move up to something from a 1.66GHz.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny, I can go back to the reviews of the G4 mini and it was considered "snappy". Every time a mini gets reviewed it's snappy and the old model becomes a dog. Too bad perception isn't a controlled variable.

What really matters to me are benefits. How much time are people spending using software and actually developing things. If you are a Photoshop user, do you take courses? If you do a lot of typing, do you work to increase your typing speed? Wouldn't these things actually make more of an impact to the amount you can create with a system? If you're just surfing the net, does it really matter if you have the latest/greatest?

Just a thought. I'm not disin' performance increases, they're great. I'm encouraging users to increase their skills as well. Most user skills are the true bottleneck in any system. This has been the case for many, many, years. It will still be the case with the next mini revision.

BTW, I'm not trying to take the fun out of buying a new system. I'm trying to keep the fun in, enjoying what you already have Smile . Not all of us can afford a new system every year, even if it is a mini Wink
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How soon they forget about the G4s, Core Duos and Core Solos. Well, actually, it didn't take Intel and Apple long to forget about the Core Solos either. Wink

Comparison with a Core Duo would have been nice though.

Last edited by devo on Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
BTW, I'm not trying to take the fun out of buying a new system. I'm trying to keep the fun in, enjoying what you already have . Not all of us can afford a new system every year, even if it is a mini?

Well said Bandit! I get so frustrated with people looking down on slightly older hardware. It seems like these people are always looking forward to the next upgrade and never really enjoying what they have sitting in front of them. Hey, I'm doing just fine with a 1.66GHz Mac mini for recording and daily computing on the desktop. When it dies, I'll by a new one.
bolfings

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'll probably be a long time until you get a new one, then -
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bolfings wrote:

That's probably true, especially with the external power supply. Then again, we have an LCD TV that appears to have blown last night. My luck could be turning for the worse. Wink
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
bolfings wrote:

That's probably true, especially with the external power supply. Then again, we have an LCD TV that appears to have blown last night. My luck could be turning for the worse. Wink

Some days I still wonder why I upgraded from the G4 mini. Perhaps if I went back to it, I'd notice a big difference, especially in terms of video playback and encoding, but I recall it doing everything I ever asked of it.

It would be interesting to try it again and see, but seeing my buddy owns it and has been happy with it for 2 years, I doubt I'll ever see it again. Smile
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got the early 09' model with the 2.0 gig processor, and 2 gigs of RAM I had it custom to order with a 250 hardrive. That hardrive I notice was the sweet spot for me on my old pc's. Anyways I thought about it pretty hard to move this quickly on ebay and get the updated model. I also thought well maybe just put 4 gigs of RAM in my current one and save a lot of hassle. It will feel snappier without spending much money. Actually its fine how it is I wish iphoto would open faster and few other things, but other than certain apps taking there time to open I am very very very happy with 2 gigs of RAM. Even for video editing it's not bad which is weird because I thought with iphoto and itunes taking its good old time that would be horrible. It isn't though. I may wait till the next update. The money I save may make me feel better in the long run rather than a slight speed bump right now.
Dinshaw

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are nice and snappy. I upgraded to the new 2.53GHz C2D model from the 1.66GHz CD. Here are my scores.

Xbench
1.66GHz: 93.02
2:53GHz: 118.43

Geekbench
1.66GHz: 2207
2.53GHz: 3581
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
What really matters to me are benefits. How much time are people spending using software and actually developing things. If you are a Photoshop user, do you take courses? If you do a lot of typing, do you work to increase your typing speed? Wouldn't these things actually make more of an impact to the amount you can create with a system? If you're just surfing the net, does it really matter if you have the latest/greatest?

Bill, I've been wanting to say something like this for a long time, but I've resigned myself to the idea that the 123MM membership is split into two camps: those that concentrate on what their Mini has (fastest CPU, biggest HDD, bluetooth connection to microwave oven Wink ) and those that focus on what their Mini does (movie-making, photo-editing, writing the next great novel).

I remember that a member called ArsenicPants asked many moons ago for a forum dedicated to the work that members do with their Minis, but it never happened. I suppose that the first group outnumbers the second group by some margin.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
I remember that a member called ArsenicPants asked many moons ago for a forum dedicated to the work that members do with their Minis, but it never happened. I suppose that the first group outnumbers the second group by some margin.

Or that the group concerned with what they can do on a mini isn't about the mini at all, but rather about the mac platform in general. The exception to that is HTPC, which is somewhat unique to the mini. The guts, and thus the capability of the mini have pretty much tracked those of the PowerBook initially and later the MacBook/MacBook Pro.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
Bill, I've been wanting to say something like this for a long time, but I've resigned myself to the idea that the 123MM membership is split into two camps: those that concentrate on what their Mini has (fastest CPU, biggest HDD, bluetooth connection to microwave oven Wink ) and those that focus on what their Mini does (movie-making, photo-editing, writing the next great novel).

I for one am less about the Mac platform in general and more about the Mac Mini specifically, both what it can do and what I can do with it. There are lots of sites devoted to Mac generally but this is the only one I know of that is (supposedly) devoted specifically to the Mac Mini.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: