123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Our Sharp Aquos looks to be dead
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 9:35 pm    Post subject: Our Sharp Aquos looks to be dead Reply with quote

Don't feel bad though. This is a good excuse to get something BIGGER! Any suggestions for something in the 42"-52" range? I haven't looked at TVs for a while now.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sucks.

I have an Aquos as well. I paid $3500 CDN for a 46" when it was new. Same quality same size is $1500 or less now.

What are you thinking of getting this time.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been contemplating it for a while, but still like my current set enough. The Samsung 7 series LCD's do look tempting to me and seem to be getting pretty good reviews.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure yet. I just started looking around online at Best Buy.

I'm thinking something in the 42"-52" range under 2K. The Sony 46" and 52" models at 240Hz seem to be getting pretty good reviews. The Samsungs are always nice too. I think most of them have a glossy screen now though.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are any of the LED backlit sets are any good yet?
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Are any of the LED backlit sets are any good yet?

I don't think Sony has an LED model out yet. I know Samsung does though.

Edit: I just know that we gotta do something tomorrow. We can't live without a TV in the family room for more than a day. Laughing
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the mini with you to test recognition of the display!

SC

ps - I'm with Bandit Bill about the cost - I paid $1400(thank goodness my ex liked to bargin!) for my 32 and now they are $300 to $500.

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
Take the mini with you to test recognition of the display.

I don't really use either of our Mac minis with a TV. They are strictly for regular computing, ripping and recording. There will be a PS3 connected it to it though. We have two in use for the media center type stuff.

Smithcraft wrote:
I'm with Bandit Bill about the cost - I paid $1400(thank goodness my ex liked to bargin!) for my 32 and now they are $300 to $500.

The bottom like that fell out after we bought our Hitachi plasma SC. I'm sure whatever I buy will be less expensive in six months. That being said, this is a better time to buy than six months ago. Wink Laughing
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I'm with Bandit Bill about the cost - I paid $1400(thank goodness my ex liked to bargin!) for my 32 and now they are $300 to $500.

Oouch! I hope you are content with the 32" model.

I know I paid a crapload at $3500, but I still love the size of the set and the quality. I've been happily using it for 3 years so I sort of feel like I will get my moneys worth as long as it doesn't crap out like Devo's did.

I never bought an extended warranty, but I would now, knowing what one company in Canada does... Vision's Electronics will sell you a warranty just like everyone else. The difference is if you don't use it you get the full amount of the warranty back as an in store credit at the end of the warranty period. Yup that's right, they will send you a cheque for $200-$400. Whatever you paid for the warranty. Pretty slick.

Devo perhaps you should do a little bit of homework over the next couple hours to see if anyone in the United States offers a crazy offer like this.

Just a thought.

Whatever you do, don't buy an LG television. Sorry to any of you who own them, but I worked in TV sales for a while 2 years ago. The dude in the back that does the warranty returns said they are a nightmare. They always crap out. Not just a few of them. More like, a high % of them. The company only carried them because there is more margin in LG than any other brand, even though they are typically the lowest price for the features. the other reason likely is that you would have to use your warranty to fix the thing, so Vision's got to keep all the warranty money because you used the warranty service.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never really heard of anyone offering a warranty like that around here. That's pretty sweet!

Thanks for the heads up on LG. I've never been a big fan of the brand anyways.

I'm just going to head into Best Buy and grab whatever looks the best in that price range. I'm trying to read as many user reviews and stuff as I can find here tonight. I'm thinking it will be a Sony or Samsung though after having the bad luck with the Sharp. I don't usually buy stuff like this (meaning in a rush), but my wife has been staying off her feet and watching a lot of TV. I'm not going to let her go all week without a TV in the main room. I'm just too tired after work to mess around looking.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

I'd lean towards the Sony. Personally my favorite in the LCD displays. Pioneer if you decide to go plasma (which I very much doubt you will).

Best Buy let's you return things if you don't like 'em. At least they do here without issues. I always keep the box in good condition. You may want to talk to a manager and actually ask the question "can I return it, without a restocking fee, if I keep the packaging in good condition?"

The thing I would keep in mind, is most TV's are getting good, even the crappy ones. I don't think it is as important to be super picky given the prices and quality of most units today.

If you are over $1500 CDN and under 50" you should be able to get a great TV. $1000-$1500 will get you a good 46" maybe even a 50" nowadays.

Best of Luck. Especially reading the reviews Smile
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm going to stay away from another plasma. I like our Hitachi (which is now in the man cave), but they throw off a lot of glare with the glass fronts. I've actually been reading some about the Samsung LCDs doing the same thing. It sounds like Sony is still using matte panels though. I'll let you guys know what it ends up being tomorrow night.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I've actually been reading some about the Samsung LCDs doing the same thing. It sounds like Sony is still using matte panels though. I'll let you guys know what it ends up being tomorrow night.

Yah, some of the Samsung are basically like the glossy MacBooks. If you turn the TV set off you'll notice right away. It does make for a very black background to begin with. This makes the colors pop and gives a great contrast ratio. I'd only see it as an issue if ambient light is an issue.

I really hate shopping for TV's Smile
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, shopping for TVs, cars and motorcycles is such a downer. Laughing

I just found out something else cool about the Sony LCDs. The 240Hz models have built-in ethernet and Netflix support. I thought it was only on select models before, but it seems to be across the board. That's freaking awesome! Cool
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Smithcraft wrote:

Oouch! I hope you are content with the 32" model.

Well, that's what happens after five years! But yeah, it's fine. Next one will be imperious! Wink

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: