123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Plex 0.8.3 Released
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to get into this little tit for tat, but I think Jobs is right in that iTunes Video streaming is the future for movies, NOT blu-ray disks you have to buy for twice the price of DVD at the Electronics Supermarket. I'm not sure blu-ray won't die from it's own weight in cost and useless protection schemes.
Active: Mac Mini (OCT 09) 4 GB RAM, 2.66 GHz, 500 GB HDD
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111, I don't think anyone cares about your bickering. You are not going to convince anyone to change their ways, so either deal with it, or take it to PMs. But leave this thread to the discussion of Plex 0.8.3. Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, I'm not infavor of streaming. If I want to watch a movie again, and some movies I do watch many times, I have no desire to have to deal with buffering or any of that. I want a file that I can watch. Plex remembers where I left off and I can start there, or start from the beginning.

I still haven't tried the new version...

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
LE Studios

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
ez061111, I don't think anyone cares about your bickering. You are not going to convince anyone to change their ways, so either deal with it, or take it to PMs. But leave this thread to the discussion of Plex 0.8.3. Evil or Very Mad

Anyway, I'm not infavor of streaming. If I want to watch a movie again, and some movies I do watch many times, I have no desire to have to deal with buffering or any of that. I want a file that I can watch. Plex remembers where I left off and I can start there, or start from the beginning.

I still haven't tried the new version...

SC

Yeah it's good but I'm concerned on resolution on how to maximize it that is. VLC looks good but it seem it can't handle the video so is it based on processor? I look at CPU Activity and it peaks. Looking at the same video it doesn't look high resolution. Except 1080p if it's RAW or untouched it's maxed unprocessed. I ask because the 720p on VLC looks better than the 720p on Plex.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't really say. I've hopped up my CPU so I don't have the issues that some others do on CPU dependent tasks. Plus I'm running a 1366 by 768 display, so perhaps I can't notice a difference between Plex and VLC after the upscaling/downscaling. Or maybe I've never bothered to notice?

However, I still haven't figured out how to pick or scale down a HD source, so my HD transcodes are 1080 based, and not 720.

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
LE Studios

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
I can't really say. I've hopped up my CPU so I don't have the issues that some others do on CPU dependent tasks. Plus I'm running a 1366 by 768 display, so perhaps I can't notice a difference between Plex and VLC after the upscaling/downscaling. Or maybe I've never bothered to notice?

However, I still haven't figured out how to pick or scale down a HD source, so my HD transcodes are 1080 based, and not 720.

SC

Yeah I got 1080p HD transcodes from Blu-Ray and one Matrix Trilogy from HD-DVD. I consider the RAW because its a 1080p Native that's the phrase I should have used instead of RAW 1080p. I think I read too much on Canon doing capturing RAW 1080p on the next EOS 1Ds Mark IV for Spring 2010. While the early 2009 2.0GHz Core Duo 2 with 3MB Cache and 4GB DDR3 handles well, I'm kinda concerned if crank the resolution up in a way in Plex may make it unplayable for me. That may be my processors limitation. This is why I'm considering the Quad i7 iMac @ 2.8GHz with 16GB DDR3 this theoretical should be the equivalent to the Quad "Nehalem" Mac Pro. I'm really thinking that the VLC is more processor based because its resolution looks maxed there are 1080p Blu-Ray rips that VLC cannot play then crashes. First one was 1080p Blu-ray rip of Final Fantasy Complete its a 11GB MKV but Plex plays it fine but something is off. It may be the De-Interlacing or something to that extent. Confused
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was at Costco getting tires put on, I was wondering around and Transformers was playing in the Bluray demo section. It just looked wrong. The colors were way over saturated(which I just chalked up to the display not being set up right rather than the source), but that wasn't the only problem. The motion was just . . . weird.

So maybe the source is weird, and that's just carrying over to Plex.

I think Plex and VLC use the same core for playback, being ffmpeg. I'm not sure though.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
LE Studios

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
While I was at Costco getting tires put on, I was wondering around and Transformers was playing in the Bluray demo section. It just looked wrong. The colors were way over saturated(which I just chalked up to the display not being set up right rather than the source), but that wasn't the only problem. The motion was just . . . weird.

So maybe the source is weird, and that's just carrying over to Plex.

I think Plex and VLC use the same core for playback, being ffmpeg. I'm not sure though.

SC

Well remember I'm on a 24" LED Cinema Display so these movies looks awesome that's color and detail from the source and my display. 720p Blu-ray rips Playback in VLC Player matches my quality of 720p Movies and TV Shows Purchased from iTunes. 1080p in native without any enhancements looks great. I wish these studios would sell the 1080p Movies in iTunes. Looking how these Blu-Ray Movies rips looks like it's possible, just the file size will be 8-17GB. Just sucks ALL my movies from iTunes has Dolby Digital 5.1 @ 448Kbps for SD 640Kbps for HD where I rather have the DTS 5.1 Audio @ 1.5Mbps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: