123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New version of Ubuntu released

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: New version of Ubuntu released Reply with quote

Version 9.10 of Ubuntu was released yesterday. I have been testing it since Alpha 4 and it's very good. Boot times have been improved from 9.04 and it seems speedier overall. The Netbook Remix version has been completely redesigned to be more efficient. I recommend that you give this version a try if you're interested in Linux.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE Ubuntu.

It does look good.

Let us know how it sits with your Mini.

In the meantime, I am going to be road testing Chakra, which looks (on the surface at least) to be a very modern modular fork of Arch Linux.

http://chakra-project.org/

I have always liked Arch & this fork variation is an eclectic mix of new as well as older fashioned tools.

As well as this, being that its German made, means that its probably going to have superb attention to detail.

Aqua.

Hopefully I will be burning an ISO tomorrow.

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ubuntu 9.10 works well with my mini. The only issue I've had, and it isn't mini-specific, is with audio when mp3's and mp4's are playing. In some cases, the audio slowed and the pitch deepened. This was, at times, specific to VirtualBox and at times it happened with VMware Fusion. I say "at times" because I tried so several pre-release versions on three different Macs and during that period, both Fusion and VB underwent upgrades. When I had the problem, I was able to solve it by removing pulseaudio and gstreamer-pulseaudio, but it appears that all is good without doing that in the release version of Ubuntu installed on the current versions of Fusion or VB.

Regarding Chakra, I saw the "Development Release" announcement a week ago, downloaded it then and installed it on two of my Macs in VB. It's fast and good-looking and so far, I've only run into minor problems with it. I actually signed up on their forums so I could find out what they meant by "Development Release". I interpreted the response as something between alpha and beta. Unfortunately, the final version isn't scheduled to be released until late 2010.

The one problem I have with "small" distros like Chakra is that the repo is limited in size unless the distro is based on a major like Debian or Ubuntu. I ran into this problem with VectorLinux, which I otherwise liked. There is a particular program I use as an indicator of this, a GUI front-end to a well known and well used statistics program. Neither Chakra nor Vector had it in their repos, which means building it from source. I was unable to do this in Vector and no one could guide me successfully, so I lost interest in it. I'll try this in Chakra at some point.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know about the new version. I've actually been thinking about giving Ubuntu a try on a cheap nettop (perhaps ION-based) with Hulu making their desktop application available for Linux. Maybe see what is going on with MythTV these days as well.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fox wrote:

There is a particular program I use as an indicator of this, a GUI front-end to a well known and well used statistics program. Neither Chakra nor Vector had it in their repos, which means building it from source.

I am curious to know which app it is ? If you don't wan to name it publically, then PM me...

Aqua

Ps In Chakra, I signed up as Aqualinux.

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
dungeon92
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you do a clean install or upgrade, I di upgrade form 8.10 to 9.04 and had some issues, but never have when reinstalling.

"When history is forgotten people don't realize when it repeats."

Going to Missouri S&T!!
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
I didn't know about the new version. I've actually been thinking about giving Ubuntu a try on a cheap nettop ....

Try Ubuntu Netbook Remix; I'm sure you'll like it, curt.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aquafire wrote:

I am curious to know which app it is ? If you don't wan to name it publically, then PM me...

Aqua

Ps In Chakra, I signed up as Aqualinux.

Nothing secret about the app; it's called rkward and it's a front end GUI for the statistical package, R. There is something for rkward in Arch on SourceForge, but it's not the program, itself as far as I can tell.

If you see me on Chakra, I'm still fox.
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungeon92 wrote:
Did you do a clean install or upgrade, I di upgrade form 8.10 to 9.04 and had some issues, but never have when reinstalling.

I only tried upgrading once with Ubuntu; I almost always do a clean install, but keep the old one around awhile in case there's something I want from it. For example, I have on my Wind netbook right now: XP (came with it), Ubuntu 9.04 Netbook Remix, Ubuntu 8.10 Netbook Remix and CrunchBang 9.04. I'm going to install UNR 9.10 tonight. I'll start by wiping the partition that 8.10 is on and then installing there.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: