123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crack In Case
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:23 pm    Post subject: Crack In Case Reply with quote

Just thought I would relate my experience with warranty repair. Last night about 5:00 PM I noticed a minute crack in the palm rest of my 13-month old MacBook. I got on Apple's web site and scheduled a return call for about an hour later. A young lady called, very polite and helpful. She referred me to what turned out to be a local Mac repair shop (I was unaware that there was one). I called the guy at 9:00 AM, got to his shop at 9:30 AM, walked out with a completely repaired MacBook at 9:45 AM. I was almost speechless. I had been prepared to be without it for 10 days or so. The guy replaced the entire upper deck and keyboard. For those to whom it may apply; Apple is repairing any Macbook with cracking issues that is less than 3 years old. Regardless of warranty status. Provided that it can be determined that the cracking is not user inflicted. This was my first experience with any type of repair on an Apple product. I was impressed. I was unsure of what to expect. I had read that cracking has been an issue with quite a few of the polycarbonate MacBooks. I had been prepared for some resistance that never materialized. I certainly had no idea that I would be "in and out" in less than 24 hours.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuente,

That's a great story with a great outcome.

Nice to hear that Apple's customer service lives up to its name. Cool

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal! The mouse button on my MBP jammed and locked a couple months ago. Brought it into the Apple Store and they replaced the entire top (palmrest, touchpad and keyboard) in like an hour or two. That's why you gotta love Apple! Something similar happened to my wife's Dell and it needed to be sent out. She didn't get it back for like five business days.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I really expected to be without it for a bit. The replacement deck and keyboard are made out of a harder material. You can really feel the difference. I am very pleased.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My daughters Macbook did the same thing last year. I think it’s caused by the magnetic catches that damages the plastic when the lid is closed.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what it looked like. It wasn't anything gradual, I don't think; nor did I drop it. It was just there all of a sudden.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks very similar to my daughters . At first I thought she must have dropped it but then the other side of the case started to do the same.

I think its caused by the magnetic catch that causes the lid to stay shut, the magnetic attraction must be distorting the plastic when the lid closes and over time it weakens the plastic and the cracks start to form.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, it looks like the palmrest lifted up quite a bit too. I hope the replacement parts work out better for you man. I would imagine they changed up the materials with all the troubles.
zedtvl

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the Apple authorized reseller of my town this issue is covered by Apple for three years Applecare or not.
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Wow, it looks like the palmrest lifted up quite a bit too. I hope the replacement parts work out better for you man. I would imagine they changed up the materials with all the troubles.

The new deck feels a lot more stable, not that it ever really felt unstable; but, just going by feel, it does feel a lot more substantial.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know if when they do this they only replace the outer case, or if anything is replaced with it? I've got a chip in my MB case, which isn't bad and can let it go for a while. But I'm also starting to notice my trackpad button getting 'soft' in the middle where I press it the most. I could probably fix this on my own, but haven't looked into it yet. Just wondering if that would be replaced when the top case was changed. I've heard stories of Apple also replacing the keyboard when the top is changed, but nothing about the trackpad.

Thanks!!!
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
Anyone know if when they do this they only replace the outer case, or if anything is replaced with it? I've got a chip in my MB case, which isn't bad and can let it go for a while. But I'm also starting to notice my trackpad button getting 'soft' in the middle where I press it the most. I could probably fix this on my own, but haven't looked into it yet. Just wondering if that would be replaced when the top case was changed. I've heard stories of Apple also replacing the keyboard when the top is changed, but nothing about the trackpad.

Thanks!!!

The keyboard is part of the palm rest/top case. The trackpad is part of it as well. From what I understand; Apple is taking care of cracks in any of the polycarbonate MacBooks, regardless of warranty status. I would take it in without hesitation.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuentecigar wrote:
CaliforniaMini wrote:

Thanks!!!

The keyboard is part of the palm rest/top case. The trackpad is part of it as well. From what I understand; Apple is taking care of cracks in any of the polycarbonate MacBooks, regardless of warranty status. I would take it in without hesitation.

So as part of the top case, the keyboard and trackpad are replaced? I might have to do this soon then. Now, which Apple store to choose? Luckily I've got 10 in close proximity. Laughing
fuentecigar
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
fuentecigar wrote:
CaliforniaMini wrote:

Thanks!!!

So as part of the top case, the keyboard and trackpad are replaced? I might have to do this soon then. Now, which Apple store to choose? Luckily I've got 10 in close proximity. Laughing

Yes, they are part of the replacement part.
The procedure that I followed was, to call Apple. They will set up a return call at a time of your convenience. You will describe the details of the crack in regard to description, location, etc. They will assign a case number to you. Then, at their discretion, they will have you either; return it to them for repair, or take it to an authorized Apple service center (if there is one nearby). In my case, as I related above, I called around 6:00 PM on a Sunday evening. They returned my call at 7:00 PM and I was back home at 9:45 AM the next morning with a repaired MacBook. Of course, some of that is just good luck; but, I don't think you will have any problem. You should be able to get it repaired to your satisfaction.
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuentecigar wrote:

Yes, they are part of the replacement part.
The procedure that I followed was, to call Apple. They will set up a return call at a time of your convenience. You will describe the details of the crack in regard to description, location, etc. They will assign a case number to you. Then, at their discretion, they will have you either; return it to them for repair, or take it to an authorized Apple service center (if there is one nearby). In my case, as I related above, I called around 6:00 PM on a Sunday evening. They returned my call at 7:00 PM and I was back home at 9:45 AM the next morning with a repaired MacBook. Of course, some of that is just good luck; but, I don't think you will have any problem. You should be able to get it repaired to your satisfaction.

Thanks! I think I'll try just going to an Apple Store since there are so many in my area. My MB is a refurb and the standard procedure for refurbs is to send them in for repairs, don't know if this is any different. But since this seems to be a common repair and parts are possibly in store, I'll try just going in. I've seen reports similar to yours elsewhere online. Saw a couple of people that even had this done multiple times on the same MB.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: