123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mini in October?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26, 27, 28  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jalyst

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh i didn't realise the 2.66 had bigger cache, would've considered it otherwise...
What about VT-x related extensions, is there any subtle differences there?

LE Studios wrote:
Shito wrote:
Shito wrote:
philiparcario wrote:

they missed the boat with the 2.66 pricing 150 more for only .13ghz more power.

That's what I was thinking myself. Also, with a 4GB *max* of RAM and a 5400rpm drive will that small amount of extra processing speed do any difference? Or, are there some other tech bits I'm not aware of?

Finally, what 'bout the drive? Apart from extra storage space, do you think the 500GB may perform better than the 320GB for any given technical reason?

Bump for Phil. Smile

Whoa is the 2.66GHz Core duo 2 has 6MB L2 Cache or what?

Mate, what do you think about the two drives? Smile

Also, just noticed now, the 2.66 chip is supposed to sports 6MB of cache according to Intel charts, yet Apple is reporting the same 3MB of others... isn't it strange?
newbie1

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DO YOU KNOW IF THE PEOPLE OF AUSTRALIA ARE ABLE TO GET THIS DISCOUNT OR IS IT JUST THE US GUYS?

CHEERS!

philiparcario wrote:
saul wrote:
philiparcario wrote:
I ordered the 2.26 base model with a 2.53 cpu.

750 plus tax = 802.50 after rebates and discounts I paid about 665.

Could you share the secrets of how to get the rebates and discounts? I'm itching to order but saving some dough would be great! Very Happy

join bing dot com they discount ebay 8% look for 500 dollar buy it now apple gift cards on ebay sellers list them from 450 to 485. you get another 8% off. so a 500 dollar card can cost 414(rare) more likely 440 to 460 here is a 500 dollar card for 480 with an 8% bing dot com discount it would be 441.60

http://cgi.ebay.com/500-Apple-Gift-Card_W0QQitemZ390108419619QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Gift_Certificates?hash=item5ad4461623#ht_500wt_789

this takes you to bing click on ebay and see the 8% banner

http://www.bing.com/search?q=mac+mini&go=&form=QBLH&qs=n

there are a lot of rules for the discount but it is legit best of all microsoft pays you the money
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

first off there are a lot of options. we will need a mac mini server section to figure out how and what to do with a mini as a server.

I did a lot of 2 Hdd mini setups. I never got internal raid to work right. Once I had a bad MB/logic board and it killed off 1 of two ssd's . I decided not to setup internal raid setups after that.

1) I have to wonder how much better snow leopard server osx is over snow leopard osx. It cost 500 to buy the osx

2) The adding of a usb dvd player must mean apple is giving their-self a chance to go blu-ray.

3)The no slot server looks good, but I know it will not run as cool as a modded mini the slot adds to air circulation. Of course the slot allows a bit more noise to escape.

4)do I buy the sever mini for 1k pull the 500gb drives and put in a pair of ssd's
1 k plus 400 to 600 for the pair of ssd's

5)do I add a promise smartstor ds4600 to it for 800. you can do better it comes for 324 empty you can buy 4 1.5 tb drives for 460 total is 784

6)can I add 2 smartstor ds4600

Back to number 1 a 500 dollar snow leopard osx server price is bad. A lot of people will be tempted to buy a mini server and build mini severs with a clone of the server program to a base 253 mini at 799. add a scorpio black for 80 and 880 give you a 1 piece server mini for 220 less then the mini server with a usb dvd. it will run fast and save money

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

newbie1 wrote:
DO YOU KNOW IF THE PEOPLE OF AUSTRALIA ARE ABLE TO GET THIS DISCOUNT OR IS IT JUST THE US GUYS?

CHEERS!

philiparcario wrote:
saul wrote:
philiparcario wrote:
I ordered the 2.26 base model with a 2.53 cpu.

750 plus tax = 802.50 after rebates and discounts I paid about 665.

Could you share the secrets of how to get the rebates and discounts? I'm itching to order but saving some dough would be great! Very Happy

join bing dot com they discount ebay 8% look for 500 dollar buy it now apple gift cards on ebay sellers list them from 450 to 485. you get another 8% off. so a 500 dollar card can cost 414(rare) more likely 440 to 460 here is a 500 dollar card for 480 with an 8% bing dot com discount it would be 441.60

http://cgi.ebay.com/500-Apple-Gift-Card_W0QQitemZ390108419619QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUS_Gift_Certificates?hash=item5ad4461623#ht_500wt_789

this takes you to bing click on ebay and see the 8% banner

http://www.bing.com/search?q=mac+mini&go=&form=QBLH&qs=n

there are a lot of rules for the discount but it is legit best of all microsoft pays you the money

bing is a usa program run by microsoft

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Shito

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The two BIG question about this Mini line-up update are:

1) HDs. Is the 500GB anything better than the 360GB storage capacity aside?

I wonder because I remember Phil was educating me about 500GB HDs being made of two 250GB 'parts', thus some overall performance boots?

2) The L2 cache for the BTOptional 2.66GHz top processor. The 2.66 chip is supposed to sports 6MB of cache according to Intel charts, yet Apple is reporting it has the very same 3MB L2 cache of other processors of choice...

It's also interesting that Apple is NOT offering the 2.66GHz processor BTO for the mini-server machine.

As Phil hinted, the mini-server unit can also just be considered as a 'SuperDrive-less mini', which may come to be useful for any future external Apple BluRay-unit release...

Any ideas about this and that?

--
The Future is Now

Last edited by Shito on Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:48 pm; edited 2 times in total
jalyst

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta find out more about this....

jalyst wrote:
Oh i didn't realise the 2.66 had bigger cache, would've considered it otherwise...
LE Studios

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jalyst wrote:
gotta find out more about this....

jalyst wrote:

Let me know.
LE Studios

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are the manuals for the new announce Macs. I'm curious about the Mac mini Snow leopard Server is this booting in 64-bit? I assuming it does. I see no mention about iLife '09 which are is still 32-bit applications. If this boot 64-bit nothing but 64-bit? Can I install iLife '09. I'm interested because this makes a good media server. I'm thinking to Hell with Blu-Ray and load up a 2TB Western Digital Studio II using the Firewire 800 and playback nothing but 1080p Blu-Ray rips. Apple don't care about Blu-Ray and I really don't care either, so time to hit the torrent sites for HD Movies I see they already got 1080p Blu-Ray rips of G.I. Joe: Rise of Cobra, Star Trek, Transformers Revenge of the Fallen and Ice Age: Dawn of the Dinosaurs already. Plex looks good but how is their streaming. Instead of using AppleTV I rather use a Mac mini Snow Leopard Server if the Snow Leopard Server is a problem I can Clean install with Remote Disc and install regular Snow Leopard. Very Happy

http://support.apple.com/manuals/#desktopcomputers
mdgm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shito wrote:

It's also interesting that[b] Apple is NOT offering the 2.66Mhz processor BTO for the mini-server machine

Well, 2.66MHz is nothing compared to 2.53GHz. I didn't think 2.66Mhz processors were being used these days. I don't think it would work with Snow Leopard.

Guys can you get the measurements right? When it's GHz say e.g. 2.66GHz. Not 2.66MHz. When you mean 500GB, don't say 500MB (less than the capacity of a CD). It's pretty annoying. It makes a big difference saying things wrong.

It is interesting that the processor BTO isn't offered on the mini-server machine. Perhaps they see the mini-server as too low demand to justify offering it (or that the target market may not be too interested anyway)?

Last edited by mdgm on Wed Oct 21, 2009 6:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
saul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdgm wrote:
It is interesting that the processor BTO isn't offered on the mini-server machine. Perhaps they see the mini-server as too low demand to justify offering it (or that the target market may not be too interested anyway)?

It may be that the 2.66GHz pushes the heat envelope.

(Please note that the H in GigaHertz is normally capitalized so that it doesn't confuse people.) Razz
saul

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:

Thanks for the info. It is great for those who can plan ahead. I am too impulsive so am going to my local Apple store as soon as they get some in.

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy **** and just picked up the 2.53 **** Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdgm wrote:
Guys can you get the measurements right? When it's GHz say e.g. 2.66GHz. Not 2.66MHz. When you mean 500GB, don't say 500MB (less than the capacity of a CD). It's pretty annoying. It makes a big difference saying things wrong.

Come on now! Surely you can't let something so petty worry you that much. Very Happy
tom d

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have a Bank of America Credit Card you can earn double points. Log on to your account, go to your credit card, go to rewards, look for double points, hit the Apple Store within Bank of America and get 2 points for each dollar spent. tom d
sifpilsen

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interestingly enough, the Mac Mini Server is stated not to be able to run Boot Camp. If this is only a 10.6 Server limitation or something else remain to be seen. Weird for a dual hard drive machine though.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sifpilsen wrote:
Interestingly enough, the Mac Mini Server is stated not to be able to run Boot Camp. If this is only a 10.6 Server limitation or something else remain to be seen. Weird for a dual hard drive machine though.

If your buying the Server version to get the OS/X Server configuration, why in the world would you want to boot camp into something else?

Incidently, there is a rumor that the new Mac Mini under 10.6.2 should allow for 8 GB of Ram after the update they did a while back. Anybody hear any news on that?

Also, has anybody confirmed if the 2.66 GHz Mac Mini has a different cache up from 3 MB?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 26, 27, 28  Next
Page 22 of 28

Jump to: