123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Intros Magic Mouse
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still looks gimmicky to me, but at least it won't crap out like the Mighty Mouse. I'd have to try it to become a believer. Sort of like the touch keypad on phones vs. a tactile keyboard. I'm sure it will come down to personal preference.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Still looks gimmicky to me, but at least it won't crap out like the Mighty Mouse. I'd have to try it to become a believer. Sort of like the touch keypad on phones vs. a tactile keyboard. I'm sure it will come down to personal preference.

Yeah, I'm kinda thinking it's the same "gimmicky" situation as we talked about before. That being said, I'm still looking forward to giving one a try at the store. I can't see it replacing my Radtech BT600, but I've become such a big gesture and tapping junkie on the old MBP. I sort of doubt it, but maybe it's just as slick. Then it would just become a question of feeling comfortable in the hand.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must get 2 of these, the current mighty mouse is driving me o the point of suicide. lol not really Smile

...but it is driving me crazy.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched video review on Engadget and the dude didn't seem thrilled with it at all.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/20/a-video-walkthrough-of-apples-newest-additions/
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
I just watched video review on Engadget and the dude didn't seem thrilled with it at all.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/10/20/a-video-walkthrough-of-apples-newest-additions/

...it does seem a bit weird to use. I could just picture everyday PC users when they try to use my Mac Very Happy
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben_Tex wrote:
The multi-touch sounds cool, but it I agree with Blazer. I think it looks way too flat. I like a mouse that cups into your hand more.

I agree. I like moving the mouse more than I like moving my fingers. Not sure how the multi-touch is gonna work out. Have you tried wagging your finger back and forth on a flat surface? Not as comfortable as moving your hand from the wrist slightly left and right.
cheef

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This interests me as I'm a fan of the gestures trackpad on my MBP. Trying to use a non gesture trackpad now just doesn't seem right so at first thought I saw this mouse as a banker for me forking out some more cash to use on my mini.

Then I released that out of old habit I use the middle mouse button to refresh my browser (on any platform I've used), so as this doesn't actually have a middle mouse button.. that rules me out!
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I look at the Magic Mouse today, the more I feel carpal tunnel syndrome coming on for some reason. Having the kentic scrolling would be awesome though. Still on the fence until I see one in person. Neutral
iLife's a Bitch!
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I almost bought one on a whim, but then thought about it a little more overnight. I'm going to see what they are like person first before plucking down my money. That said, I don't know how it can be any worse than the Mighty Mouse. My track ball keeps getting clogged every couple days now. The gray plastic ring around the bottom is starting to crack up too.
supasnail

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm used to a trackball these days, and this new Magic Mouse looks like it might suit trackball users more than regular mouse users. It looks much like a cross between a trackball and ordinary mouse really. Instead of the giant ball, you get a touch sensitive area. I'm still ken to try it out in store before I part with my cash... but it does have that Apple-patented desirability factor! I want one Very Happy
1gkek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Magic Mouse on order. The scroll wheel on the mighty mouse is forever getting gunked up. Since I like scrolling, this looks like a nice improvement.

I'll post a review once we've used it.
LouieMacGoo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I paid a visit to the Apple store today and played with the Magic Mouse. I have to say I was impressed. The mouse felt very solid and is a huge improvement over the Mighty Mouse and "virtual" scrolling works great. The 2 finger swipe takes some getting use to though. I used in with Safari and swiping left or right allowed you to go back to previous pages and forward again with relative ease. I have to say I was really considering buying one however the store was absolutely packed with customers (you would never guess there's a recession) and I was limited on time. But this is the first Apple mouse that I would want to have on my wish list.
G3 iMac DV 400mhz 512mg RAM 40gb HD, SuperDrive
Follow me http://twitter.com/louiemacgoo
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MacScout67

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't have long either, but the scrolling does work great. It's just like the iPhone or coasting with a Synaptics touchpad. I was just disappointed with the overall feel of the mouse. I also became an Expose junkie with the Mighty Mouse, so I'd probably really miss that with the Magic Mouse. I guess there is no way to enable it with a swipe or something.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had my first experience with one this morning:

Build quality is really nice. It also has just about the right weight.

The dimensions are nice, but it feels flat.

It tracks well, but there are these funky rails on the bottom that don't make it feel smooth.

The kinetic scrolling is awesome! Cool

The two finger swiping in works okay, but it feels unnatural to me. It's probably one of those things you gotta get used to doing. I ended up clicking instead of swipping a couple times.

Will I buy one? I kinda doubt it. I think it would take more gestures and support for Expose and the Dashboard for me to reconsider.
iLife's a Bitch!
tales
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope it lasts longer then the mighty mouse (replace them twice a year Mad) "Scroll with momentum" & "Swipe left/right to navigate" Works great! It just a few days so far no problems.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: