123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Updates Mac Mini and Intros Server Model
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad there is an actual difference between the two Mac minis now. Having a top end model with the same processor didn't make any sense. It's also nice seeing them come out of the box with a respectable level of memory. I still think Apple is being stingy with the hard drives though. I haven't read much about the server, but that's looking sweet for HTPC and backups if you don't need the server functionality.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering what the inside of that sever looks like. Anyone seen a picture yet?
iLife's a Bitch!
Gathomblipoob

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of my local Apple stores have the minis in stock, too, so tomorrow morning...
Huff

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was holding off on ordering a third Mac mini to use as a file server. Now, I can't decide between the regular 2.53GHz model or the one that's actually designed to be a server. Rolling Eyes Laughing
suneohair

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huff wrote:
I was holding off on ordering a third Mac mini to use as a file server. Now, I can't decide between the regular 2.53GHz model or the one that's actually designed to be a server. Rolling Eyes Laughing

I would only get the server model if you want to run Snow Leopard Server.
WahWahWatson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will the server version allow you to boot into 64-bit mode or use 8GB?
MalzyWheels

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WahWahWatson wrote:
Will the server version allow you to boot into 64-bit mode or use 8GB?

It appears that the Mini is still maxed at 4GB for RAM. As for 64-bit mode, my Magic Eight Ball says "It is unlikely." But what the heck does a Magic Eight Ball know? Smile
1961 HH Scott 299C integrated Amplifier (7591 Output Tubes)
B&W DM302 speakers
WahWahWatson

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalzyWheels wrote:
It appears that the Mini is still maxed at 4GB for RAM. As for 64-bit mode, my Magic Eight Ball says "It is unlikely." But what the heck does a Magic Eight Ball know? Smile

I guess it's all what they switch on or off in the EFI firmware. I pretty sure that everything supports it even in the regular Mac minis, but they might want to hold it back against the Xserve. I guess Apple like to keeps the Mac mini always a bridesmaid and never a bride. Laughing
Jim Marsh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Apple got me for another $200 today. I was only looking at the $599 Mac mini before this update. Now, I don't have to mess around with upgrading the RAM and get a nice little boost with the 2.53GHz C2D. I'm not saying that's a great deal for $200 more, but it's close in price considering the better C2D and having to upgrade the memory on my own to 4GB. That was going to cost me at least $70 something on Newegg. Anyways, I'm glad to finally be getting a Mac mini now. I hope to get more involved on here as well. Smile
SuperGLS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to report I'm posting from my new 2.53ghz mini!

It took the store a while to figure it out. When they scanned it, it wasn't showing up in there scanning device. I had to wait for them to refresh something at 1:15PM PST. That meant a wait of about 50 minutes for me. I came back to the store at 4:15PM EST and they were able to get me all taken care of.

Now, time to swap everything over.
Jim Marsh

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperGLS wrote:
Happy to report I'm posting from my new 2.53ghz mini!

Sweet! I had to order mine online, so it won't be here for a few days. What's that old saying? The waiting is the hardest part.

How are you liking it speed wise so far?
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not a flashy update, but I think the 2.53GHz model is a really attractive model in the grand scope of things. I mean, when you compare it to some of the other models like the new $999 MacBook. It even does well against the MacBook Pros up until they start adding the switchable graphics.
Futa_Mill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The server model isnt even a server how can you call it a server with 5400 rpm drives like come on apple. I know it keeps down cost but it also keeps down prodcutivity. A faster processor ain't gunna help you when you got slow drives.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loving it so far. I mean, it's quite a difference over my G4 mini as you can imagine. What really made me realize my old one was slow was using my wife's Macbook Air which she recently got, a refurb first gen with the 1.8ghz processor. So this is even a step up from that. Right now I've only been doing some internetting and such. I'm copying over all my files over my wireless network so that's taking me some time. Once I get settled down I'll try to work on some HD video editing to see how it holds up. My old mini could barely open short 1 minute clips of HD video (from my Kodak Zi8) in Quicktime and even then they'd skip all over the place. I don't see that being a problem on this one.

Screenshot
Fox
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Futa_Mill wrote:
The server model isnt even a server how can you call it a server with 5400 rpm drives like come on apple. I know it keeps down cost but it also keeps down prodcutivity. A faster processor ain't gunna help you when you got slow drives.

This is now my biggest gripe against Apple HD offerings in the mini, macbook and at least the small macbook pro. I don't need a high capacity drive, but I want a decently performing one and I can't get it in a 5400 rpm model. I have a 1.83 ghz C2D mini with upgraded RAM and a 7200 rpm internal drive. This feels noticeably faster to me than my new 13" macbook pro, which has a 160 gb 5400 rpm drive and 2 gb RAM. The Seagate 7200 rpm drive I put into my mini made a big difference and it's only a matter of time until I put one in my macbook pro.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: