123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Intel Based Mac Mini in January?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always thought that the Mac mini would be one of the first Intel systems because it is geared towards switchers. Most switchers can get by with Safari, Mail and iLife. You know those applications have already been ported for Intel. I doubt pro users that work with advance applications will want to run in emulation.
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I have a feeling Apple is going to do away the Mac mini having a dedicated video.
There's no way, not the way they use OpenGL everywhere. They even have custom Apple-only openGL extensions on both the Radeon and nvidia platforms. Breaking in a new GPU that has such limited openGL support compared to the Radeon would be insanely hard. Harder than porting Mac OS X to the Pentium in the first place.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
devo wrote:
I have a feeling Apple is going to do away the Mac mini having a dedicated video.
There's no way, not the way they use OpenGL everywhere. They even have custom Apple-only openGL extensions on both the Radeon and nvidia platforms. Breaking in a new GPU that has such limited openGL support compared to the Radeon would be insanely hard. Harder than porting Mac OS X to the Pentium in the first place.

First off, I hope you're right! Do you know what these custom Apple-only openGL extensions are for? Are you saying these openGL extensions can't be ported to Intel? I was looking at this more from a cost cutting view. The Pentium M is going to be more expensive for Apple compared to the G4. Therefore, cuts may come in the video department.
rfruth

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd hope the video subsystem would only get better ! Anyway what might a mactel mini mean for someone who is about to take the plunge (me) I rely on quite a few non mainstream programs (Mozilla Firefox and Thunderbird, Cyberduck ((a FTP client)) ClamXav, OpenOfficeOrg etc.) that may not be ported right away, should I get a current mini or wait for a mactel ?
1997 Trek 2300 for real fun !
2000 Civic hatchback
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

picaman wrote:
g5g5 wrote:
Pentium M and Front Row please! For the love of God, no Celerons!

I think I read Yonah somewhere today.

Yonah chips are pretty expensive. They might go with the single core Yonah in the Mac mini and iBook. The dual core in the PowerBook and iMac. Apple, please don't look at anything at the bottom of this list. <cough> Celerons </cough> Laughing

resuna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
First off, I hope you're right! Do you know what these custom Apple-only openGL extensions are for?
No, and it doesn't matter. I've run OpenGL software on those Intel chipsets and they make even the wimpy OpenGL in the Mac Mini look good. They may be competent enough cards in DirectX, but they're NOT designed for OpenGL.
Quote:
Are you saying these openGL extensions can't be ported to Intel?
They would have to be ported to the Intel chipset *BY* Intel. This isn't an x86 vs PPC difference, OpenGL is a whole programmable graphics system that runs on the video card.
Quote:
cuts may come in the video department.
There's no point cutting the Mac Mini's video any more, it's already like a $20 part... you can buy whole PCI cards with the Radeon 9200 chipset and 4x the VRAM on them for around $40, retail boxed with manual, CD, ...

$40.99 Connect3D 6068 Radeon 9250SE 128MB AGP
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
No, and it doesn't matter. I've run OpenGL software on those Intel chipsets and they make even the wimpy OpenGL in the Mac Mini look good. They may be competent enough cards in DirectX, but they're NOT designed for OpenGL.

I thought you might be talking about these. I didn't know that Apple used anything special. I always thought OpenGL was a standard API. Thanks for the clarification! I'm far from a graphics expert.
eric

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't care if Apple puts an Intel chip in the Mac mini. I just want them to bundle FrontRow with it. I want to be able to use FrontRow with my 42" LCD TV in the worst way.
resuna

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eric wrote:
I really don't care if Apple puts an Intel chip in the Mac mini. I just want them to bundle FrontRow with it. I want to be able to use FrontRow with my 42" LCD TV in the worst way.
If they switch to an Intel GPU then you'll DEFINITELY have to use it in the worst way.
ack_mac
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this would be pretty surprising if this got announced in January.. What are the chances that a very stable version of Tiger will be released in time? What about apps? Will there be much available for purchase. I feel pretty good about my 2 week old updated 1.5GHZ Mini.. I am hoping to keep it at least 18-24 months before going macintel (most likely a powerbook).

Also, I am not convinced on the chipset.. They will need something that is low voltage, inexpensive, and offers an upgrade from the current 1.5GHZ model. I would think nothing less than 1.8-2GHZ, but that could be expensive....
andp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there will be a new Mac mini before January, but not with an Intel processor. JMHO
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack_mac wrote:
What are the chances that a very stable version of Tiger will be released in time?
According to a recent /. story, Tiger on x86 is now tracking Tiger on PPC.
andp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
ack_mac wrote:
What are the chances that a very stable version of Tiger will be released in time?

It's still not going to be ready in January. Here's a what if. What if Apple releases some soft of Digital Hub device that runs a more robust version of Front Row with PVR functionality? They could pop an Intel chip in there and get off the ground with their Intel campaign. This way they don't have to worry about OS X or third party applications.
resuna

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andp wrote:
resuna wrote:
ack_mac wrote:

It's still not going to be ready in January.
The OS itself is almost certainly as stable as the first release of Tiger was. Smile
Quote:
Here's a what if. What if Apple releases some soft of Digital Hub device that runs a more robust version of Front Row with PVR functionality?
It's still gotta run on OSX, and if they're not going to have OSX ready in January, what are the odds they'll have a version stable enough for embedded use by then?
andp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

resuna wrote:
The OS itself is almost certainly as stable as the first release of Tiger was. Smile

Well, you may have a point there. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: