123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FW 400 and XP Pro *Updated info on my upgrades

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject: FW 400 and XP Pro *Updated info on my upgrades Reply with quote

Any issues or problems with using FW 400 and XP Pro? I plan to connect a new Quadra 320 GB external to the mini with FW 400, and want to access the external through either OS, via the firewire.

I am thinking of formatting the external as NTSF ( because of the limitations of FATS file size)and using a Paragon 7.0 plugin to do the reading and writing.

So anyone know of issues using FW as the connection to an external when running XP Pro? My mini is a 2008 model, 2.0gz intell C2D, running regular Leopard.

Thanks in advance for any comments.
Smile
EXT. HD:Lacie D2Quadra-1TB and WD Studio 2TB
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".

Last edited by DonCarlos on Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
MacMini87

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure I can answer your question and give you the answer you need, however I use a Behringer FCA 202 Audio Interface via FW on XP Home SP3

Everything is fine, and I don't experience any dropouts of the audio when working with Sonar 7 etc.

Hope that kinda helps you man Smile

Cheers
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes.....Finally a reply. Thank You that does help.
Sometimes wish this mac would crash, or screw up or break, so I can get a newer one and upgrade my OS , but "Oh Well".
DonCarlos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Update to my Installs/Upgrades Reply with quote

Just to post the results of updates I just completed to my system, for those considering any of these things. Very Happy

Bootcamped: Install of new ebay OEM Windows XP disc, validation no problem. Also was surprised that the wireless keyboard and mouse worked (I had usb wired versions ready to use, but didn't have to). Did this prior to SL upgrade, which happened a few weeks later.

FireWire : Runs flawless in both Mac and Windows. I was concerned about XP before using firewire but it worked great. It's a must for externals.

Snow Leopard: No problem with install, Mac definately speeded up. Worth the upgrade. Copied my Leopard OS first with SuperDuper to external. Then did not erase internal HD Leopard OS, but instead just did an upgraded install of Snow Leopard. I left the internal windows partition intact and just upgraded on the mac hd partition side. No problem and I sure did not want to go through the windows install again if not needed.

I found that upgrading to Snow Leopard fixed some issues I had with some apps.( like it recovered my lost Address Book application) and Snow Leopard did not erase my original iLife suite (ie...garageband).

Installed External D2 Quadra: Excellent drive and fast at 7200. Easy and fast transfers for Mac and Windows. I had some initial trouble with partions, but ultimately decided to keep one partion as native HFS+, one as FATS32, one as native NSFT. I think it better to go that route so that writing systems stay intact. I can always get macdrive and paragon if needed, but for now I just use the FATS as a transfer point, if necessary.

-Very pleased overall with the results of things and I am shocked how well Windows runs on the mini. Very stable and very fast. Microsoft should ship there Window OS's in a mini.

- Since the external runs so nice, I think my next project, will be to replace the mini's 2007 internal drive with a larger and faster drive (but that will wait until my original 5400 Hitachi/120gb goes on the blink; not going to fix what works since everything runs so well now).

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions,comments and input. What a great forum this is. Very Happy
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very helpful and interesting post, thank you!
MacMini87

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff, thanks for posting that, some useful information there Smile

Glad everything worked out for you dude.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Alternative Operating Systems All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: