123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DVI to Video Adapter doesn't work with projector?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mycombs
New Member
New Member


Joined: 06 Nov 2005
Posts: 3
Location: Philadelphia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 10:31 pm    Post subject: DVI to Video Adapter doesn't work with projector? Reply with quote

I just bought the Apple DVI to Video Adapter, and tried using it to send a video signal to my projector, via the yellow video cable. When I plug it in, the projector quickly flashes the text "video input" then goes right back to "no signal" and that's as far as it goes. It seems that the signal coming from my mini doesn't work with my projector, any ideas? I dropped the resolution on the computer to 800x600, and it didn't make a difference.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 17 Mar 2005
Posts: 1453
Location: Oregon

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have Overscan checked in Systems Preferences > Displays > Options???
_________________
My Setup
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mycombs
New Member
New Member


Joined: 06 Nov 2005
Posts: 3
Location: Philadelphia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:42 pm    Post subject: Still not working Reply with quote

Well, I looked at my system pref>displays and I don't have an "options" (OSx 10.4.3) So I searched the Mac Help files for "overscanning" and found a page about hooking up a TV to my computer. The only useful info was to turn off the computer, hook up the projector via the adapter and turn it all on. It almost worked; the projector displayed "S-Video connected" twice, but it never actually worked and reverted to "no signal" in the end. So I still have no output to the projector from my mac mini. And no overscan options in my display prefs. Any more ideas out there?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KF4WM
New Member
New Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Posts: 3
Location: Altamonte Springs, FL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Still not working Reply with quote

mycombs wrote:
Well, I looked at my system pref>displays and I don't have an "options" (OSx 10.4.3) So I searched the Mac Help files for "overscanning" and found a page about hooking up a TV to my computer. The only useful info was to turn off the computer, hook up the projector via the adapter and turn it all on. It almost worked; the projector displayed "S-Video connected" twice, but it never actually worked and reverted to "no signal" in the end. So I still have no output to the projector from my mac mini. And no overscan options in my display prefs. Any more ideas out there?


I am also having a problem outputing from DVI to my video projector. Maybe some can help.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 539
Location: Hawaii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you guys turning your projector on before the Mac mini? That might help things out. Make sure the resolution and refresh rates in System Preferences > Displays match the projectors native settings. You should try lowering the resolution to 640 X 480 or 800 X 600 if it still doesn't work.
_________________
2.4GHz MacBook Pro/4GB/320GB HD
2.26GHz Mac mini/4GB/500GB HD
16GB iPhone 3G
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KF4WM
New Member
New Member


Joined: 14 Nov 2005
Posts: 3
Location: Altamonte Springs, FL

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OGN wrote:
Are you guys turning your projector on before the Mac mini? That might help things out. Make sure the resolution and refresh rates in System Preferences > Displays match the projectors native settings. You should try lowering the resolution to 640 X 480 or 800 X 600 if it still doesn't work.


Thanks for the info. You are right on.
Attach VGA cable from Mini-Mac to projector. Turn the projector on first, select "Computer". Then turn Mini-Mac on. Works like a charm. I can now turn off the prjector and then turn it on and the connection is still there.

Thanks again for the help
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 539
Location: Hawaii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KF4WM wrote:
OGN wrote:
Are you guys turning your projector on before the Mac mini? That might help things out. Make sure the resolution and refresh rates in System Preferences > Displays match the projectors native settings. You should try lowering the resolution to 640 X 480 or 800 X 600 if it still doesn't work.


Thanks for the info. You are right on.
Attach VGA cable from Mini-Mac to projector. Turn the projector on first, select "Computer". Then turn Mini-Mac on. Works like a charm. I can now turn off the prjector and then turn it on and the connection is still there.

Thanks again for the help


Glad it worked out! Very Happy
_________________
2.4GHz MacBook Pro/4GB/320GB HD
2.26GHz Mac mini/4GB/500GB HD
16GB iPhone 3G
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
nightstriker424
Member
Member


Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Posts: 97
Location: Here

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when i hook up my projector to my mini it looks purpleish and onl part of the screen shows up like the upper left corner
_________________
Mac Mini 1.42
1gb Ram
100 Gig Hd
4gig Nano
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
Ranter
Member
Member


Joined: 07 Jun 2005
Posts: 223
Location: Palm Springs, CA USA

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nightstriker424 wrote:
when i hook up my projector to my mini it looks purpleish and onl part of the screen shows up like the upper left corner

this sounds like your Mini is set for a higher screen resolution than your projector supports.

Preferences > Displays
_________________
http://skeptichosting.com/

Weapons are the tools of violence; all decent men detest them.
Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
OGN
Veteran Member
Veteran Member


Joined: 20 Jul 2005
Posts: 539
Location: Hawaii

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ranter wrote:
nightstriker424 wrote:
when i hook up my projector to my mini it looks purpleish and onl part of the screen shows up like the upper left corner

this sounds like your Mini is set for a higher screen resolution than your projector supports.

Preferences > Displays


I bet you're right. Try lowering it to 800 X 600 or 1024 X 768.
_________________
2.4GHz MacBook Pro/4GB/320GB HD
2.26GHz Mac mini/4GB/500GB HD
16GB iPhone 3G
2 x 20" Apple Cinemas
http://www.hawaiimacnuts.org
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini HTPC All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum



      

Shop:  Apple Store  |  Refurbished Macs  |  Refurbished iPads  |  MacConnection  |  Mac Mini Vault  |  Other World Computing

MK 1 Studio Mac mini Racks  |  Crucial Mac Memory  |  Top Free Mac Apps  |  Top Paid Mac Apps



123Macmini.com is an independent publication and has not been authorized, sponsored, or approved by Apple Computer, Inc.
All logos and trademarks in this site are property of their respective owners.
Copyright © 2011 123Macmini.com. All Rights Reserved.