123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MacTech 25 most influential

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: MacTech 25 most influential Reply with quote

Voting for the general populace is up for the MacTech 25 most influential members of the Mac community.

http://www.mactech.com/mostinfluential/

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"m probably not in it, but for the record, I created MacTech in 1984 as MacTutor, the Macintosh Programming Journal.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
I"m probably not in it, but for the recod, I created MacTech in 1984 as MacTutor, the Macintosh Programming Journal.

Wow that's an impressive bit of fact. You have been around before many people on this board were probably born!

So what's the key to not getting burned out after all the years you've been in the industry? (If you don't mind me asking)
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobody is in it. There are three blanks for you to fill in.

However, having the founder here, makes me feel small! I would have voted for you too!

SC

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
[So what's the key to not getting burned out after all the years you've been in the industry? (If you don't mind me asking)

I love programming. It's creative. But I've been in PC's for the last 15 years, just now moving back into Macs.

How MacTutor Started

Shortly after the Macintosh came out with the 68000, a 32-bit processor, a bunch of us were talking on the Mousehole, a board much like this one about how Apple said you couldn't program a Mac without buying a $10,000 Lisa Computer. We didn't agree with that (and we didn't have $10,000 either!) So I started MacTutor and wrote the first assembly language event loop program for it, while others on the Mousehole wrote articles on C, Pacal and Forth using new compilers from other companies that also didn't believe Apple. Our motto was "Programming FOR the Mac ON the Mac" in response to Apple's claim. The Mac was the first computer that didn't come with a BASIC programming Language. A lot of Macintosh programmers cut their teeth on MacTutor in those early years, for which I won the MacWorld Product of the Year Award at the Boston MacWorld Expo. Those were fun days, when Jobs and Gates would walk around the computer faires like any other computer geek. But a lot of the fun went out of it when Jobs left Apple and the Pepsi Drink salesman nearly ran the company into the ground.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say otherwise, is Welcome Back!

I'll agree - Computer faires in the '80s were more fun, and more interesting. The last big faire I went to was Siggraph sometime around '89. Went to some of the LAMG Mac Fairs, but it was more interesting seeing actors walking around, meeting James Blinn, and seeing the cool stuff from Daystar and Radius, than anything else.

SC

Make sure it has pins!
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smithcraft wrote:
All I can say otherwise, is Welcome Back!
... it was more interesting seeing actors walking around, meeting James Blinn, and seeing the cool stuff from Daystar and Radius, than anything else.

SC

Thanks Smithcraft. Radius brings back memories; Andy Hertzfield's company, the Macintosh Godfather who turned Bill Attkinson's software into a "computer for the rest of us" under the unrelenting push of Steve Jobs, Apple pirates one and all!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's too bad that Radius could never have unleashed their multi CPU 040 Mac back then. I'm sure it would have been insanely expensive, but it would have been sweet!

SC

Make sure it has pins!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: