123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LaCie Intros External Drives by Philippe Starck

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: LaCie Intros External Drives by Philippe Starck Reply with quote

LaCie Intros External Drives by Philippe Starck
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

LaCie today announced the release of their LaCie Starck Desktop and LaCie Starck Mobile external hard drives in collaboration with world-famous designer Philippe Starck. The LaCie Starck Desktop features a USB interface, 3mm thick aluminum enclosure and status LED in the form of Starck's signature symbol. The symbol glows orange or green to indicate different activity. This model also includes an intelligent touch-sensitive surface, which responds to your touch. You can fully customize the front panel so that it opens the application of your choosing, depending on whether you use a short tap or a long touch. The LaCie Starck Mobile also features a thick aluminum enclosure, but comes with a built-in USB cable that is uniquely placed for convenient storage and data accessibility.

The LaCie Starck Desktop is available in 1TB and 2TB capacities with prices starting at $129.99. The LaCie Starck Mobile, on the other hand, is available in 320GB and 500GB capacities with prices starting at $99.99.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1338.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the case, but it looks like someone dropped it on the end. Razz

I really wish that LaCie would go back to making more traditional looking products. This new designer stuff ain't doing much for me.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"This model also includes an intelligent touch-sensitive surface"

How long before this feature craps out? Shocked
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
How long before this feature craps out? Shocked

Not long being smashed in already. Smile
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am I the only one thinking Terminator? That's what the ends remind me of. Laughing
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Am I the only one thinking Terminator? That's what the ends remind me of. Laughing

Very strange looking front indeed. I was thinking about reflective window tinting, like the type used on office towers bent and stuck on the front of the drive. They probably make terminators out of the same material.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaCie makes quality stuff, but the product line keeps getting stranger and stranger in my opinion. I'm afraid this is just another example of that trend. I mean, look at the desktop lineup now. They have "terminators", rafts, black blocks, legos and gold nuggets. I think what they need is more drives like the D2 and old LaCie mini, especially if they want to continue catering to Mac users.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
LaCie makes quality stuff, but the product line keeps getting stranger and stranger in my opinion. I'm afraid this is just another example of that trend. I mean, look at the desktop lineup now. They have "terminators", rafts, black blocks, legos and gold nuggets. I think what they need is more drives like the D2 and old LaCie mini, especially if they want to continue catering to Mac users.

I agree, I kind of liked the classic no nonsense industrial designs from the past. I thought industry and pro's were LaCies taget market. Seems strange that they have went this route.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's probably hard for LaCie to even compete with the likes of WD and Seagate these days without making their own drives. Not to mention be absent from most of the major brick and mortar retailers. Maybe they feel like this designer stuff makes them stand out in some way. Personally, I think that's a stupid strategy for having mass appeal, but I'm not running the company.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I agree, I kind of liked the classic no nonsense industrial designs from the past. I thought industry and pro's were LaCies taget market. Seems strange that they have went this route.

I liked those designs as well. Oh well, maybe they'll update the D2 again soon. The D2 and Big Disk are about the only desktop drives I would consider buying from them at this point. What I'd really like to see them do is bring back the LaCie mini with firewire 800. If they do none of the above, I'm inclined to buy something from OWC, Seagate or WD. I just don't feel like supporting the trend.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

curt wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

I liked those designs as well. Oh well, maybe they'll update the D2 again soon. The D2 and Big Disk are about the only desktop drives I would consider buying from them at this point. What I'd really like to see them do is bring back the LaCie mini with firewire 800. If they do none of the above, I'm inclined to buy something from OWC, Seagate or WD. I just don't feel like supporting the trend.

The LaCie minis were great. I have the original FW400 model that was passively cooled (no fan). I upgraded the original 160GB drive to a 500GB drive. I must say, I quite like it. Quiet, solid, fast. FW800 would be great to compliment the new minis. I think they would have a winner on their hands.
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LaCie olympic medals? Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: