123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini and iMac Updates Soon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WahWahWatson wrote:
The quote from these ads saying "more affordable than ever" would have to represent a price below $499. If not, that's false advertising on Apple's part. Smile

Good point! Get a lawyer! Maybe we can hold them to that! Very Happy
Yvan256
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
WahWahWatson wrote:
The quote from these ads saying "more affordable than ever" would have to represent a price below $499. If not, that's false advertising on Apple's part. Smile

Good point! Get a lawyer! Maybe we can hold them to that! Very Happy

But then there's also the "[Apple] can't make a computer for 500 dollars that isn't a piece of junk" quote from Steve Jobs.

Did he think the Mac mini G4 was a piece of junk? It was basically the same hardware as the iBook G4, after all. Or was he just talking about portable computers?
2nd gen. iPod shuffle (1 GiB)
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
I'm not convinced the iMac Steve Jobs connection dictates the configuration of the Mac Mini. But I do believe the GPU 9400 is key and someone said the quad cores are not compatible with the 9400 so I am sure no Macs will get quad cores any time soon. And I don't think the form factor of the Mac Mini will change (thank goodness), so that rules out 3.5 inch drives. But I do hope the memory and HDD options improve and hopefully the mHz offering too.
don't want or need 3.5inch drives the wd10tevt is a 2.5 inch 1tb drive. it is 12mm tall that's why all the mini needs is just a bit of height. to stack a pair of 12mm tall 2.5 inch drives. my mini has a 640gb 2.5 inch 9.5mm height and a 2.5 inch 12mm tall 750gb hdd in the dvd slot. i have 2 of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150368541490&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT#ht_500wt_1004.

i built it so I know apple can make it better.

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philiparcario wrote:
Don't want or need 3.5inch drives the wd10tevt is a 2.5 inch 1tb drive. it is 12mm tall that's why all the mini needs is just a bit of height. to stack a pair of 12mm tall 2.5 inch drives. my mini has a 640gb 2.5 inch 9.5mm height and a 2.5 inch 12mm tall 750gb hdd in the dvd slot. i built it so I know apple can make it better.

I have to admit I am a bit disappointed Apple has let the Mac line get so far behind the current hardware state of the art. The WOW factor of the Mac Mini is to have the most powerful computer in the world's smallest package! I agree with Philip, I wish Apple would speed up bringing the whole Mac line up to date. If a few mm can get us 1 TB drives, go for it Apple!
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
There is no reason the Mac Mini can't have a top of the line configuration equal to the top of the line iMac.

Haven't you heard of market segmentation? The Mac Mini is the Apple's desktop machine for the home, also aimed at PC switchers. The iMac is the mid-range workplace machine for professionals who don't need the power or expandability of a Mac Pro.

MacDSmith2 wrote:
They serve different markets, and the iMac has the monitor, keyboard and mouse, which if it goes to LED, is a costly addition.

Divisions in product segmentation run much deeper than whether a machine ships with a keyboard or not. The Mini and iMac serve different segments precisely because they have different specs and different price points. If you give the Mac Mini the same spec as the iMac, it becomes the same, more expensive computer (without a screen). Sales of the Mini to people on a low budget would dry up because the price of the new machine would have risen, and sales of the more expensive iMac would shift to the cheaper headless machine (to avoid that "costly addition"). So Apple would lose both money and customers. Not a smart move.
Rightondamark

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda thought they might announce these things today. You know how Apple just loves Tuesdays.
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with trying to market segment your customers by product line as you suggest is that often the customers don't use your products in the way you think they are, or may not even BE the customers you think they are. And that is true for the iMac family and the Mac Mini, so Apple should be very careful if they think they know who is doing what with which product! Confused
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith you are right.
I have zero interest in an all in one computer. An all in one will not run a htpc correctly. macmini is a perfect size for htpc/dvr/iTunes server.
with the dual drive concept if 2 1tb drives and 2 display outs 1 a real hdmi. the other for a second small screen the mini is a good fit. tv will not be a stand alone device one day it will be computer driven.

making hdtv very difficult too get good reception for free was part of the general idea of every tv being a computer. builders of gear want the imac concept to win out as an all in one it is not the right way to go. having the screen separate with a small case ie mac mini is simply the way to go. Macmini's sell out as refurbs really fast. because people want small and not a laptop. simple as that.

MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Apple asked ME what their customer segmentation was, I would say their most sophisticated and experienced buyers get a Mac Mini because they appreciate the value of a headless computer in a small package for applications Apple never dreamed of. While the less sophisticated users buy iMacs in various sizes because they don't have to mess with video options and peripherals. While the student buyer gets a MacBook because they are mobile, easy and cheap(er). And only a fool would pay $2,400 for a Mac Pro Tower you could put together in the PC world for a third of the price! But then, Apple hasn't asked me! Cool
Ray Finkle

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They probably will just update it to keep there "greenest" title. It may be weaker. Very Happy
SuperGLS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Waiting for a month is getting harder than expected, especially as I have a working computer (albeit a slow working computer). It's harder with all the daily speculation. Hoping for next week I guess.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperGLS wrote:
Waiting for a month is getting harder than expected, especially as I have a working computer (albeit a slow working computer). It's harder with all the daily speculation. Hoping for next week I guess.

Been there, done that. Apple sure knows how to get people in waiting mode. Sad
brockolee2007

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:09 pm    Post subject: Where is it????? Reply with quote

The big sellers are out of stock on the mini so where is the release?

I will have to start buying direct from Apple again and I don't want to do that if another is coming out.

Any got any ideas as to when? Confused
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been posted that Apple has released new SKU's to the dealers, but no pricing information. So that would mean the release is real and its coming soon. Most people seem to think it will come tuesday.
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well jr.com a huge reseller has no minis in stock so something is going to happen soon!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: