123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Apple Keyboard and Mouse Hit the FCC
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gigaguy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The current wireless metal kb is good, except I use it on sofa and you can not quickly pick it up without hitting keys, there is no lip. it needs a lip for non-desk HTPC uses.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish Apple would make a nice mouse for a change. They've always made nice keyboards, but then get all gimmicky with the mouse. Especially when it comes to the ergonomics department. I am liking the less oval look to the bottom of this one though. Let's hope it carries on through to the top. Smile
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
The current wireless metal kb is good, except I use it on sofa and you can not quickly pick it up without hitting keys, there is no lip. it needs a lip for non-desk HTPC uses.

I hold mine on the back with one hand. Sort of like a person holds a painter's palette. My fingers then wrap up around the battery compartment to the function keys. I then peck away with my right hand to type. I'd love to have something just a little wider with a multi-touch track pad though. I guess backlit keys would also be handy for HTPC.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
I wish Apple would make a nice mouse for a change. They've always made nice keyboards, but then get all gimmicky with the mouse. Especially when it comes to the ergonomics department. I am liking the less oval look to the bottom of this one though. Let's hope it carries on through to the top. Smile

I agree, I have never liked any Apple mouse. Like you said "gimmicky". This sort of surprises me though. Usually Apple puts a great deal of thought into how people use their products and then complement the functionality with equally stunning design. Not so in the mouse department. I like Apple keyboards though. I was glad to upgrade to an aluminum keyboard over the older clear plastic design. That thing was a crumb magnet.

I was a little shocked to find out that other companies are making backlight wireless keyboards. I thought that would be way to much of a battery drain. Good to know. I'd like a backlit model, but I doubt I'll be upgrading again any time soon.

I was surprised to find out that Apple dropped the numeric keypad from the wired model. That was a shocker. When I ordered the girlfriends iMac I went with the wired model just because I thought we'd be getting the keypad. That was a big disappointment. There are still a HUGE number of users that rely heavily on the numeric keypad. I'm sure every single person working the Apple 1-800 store uses one for order entry.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was an option - number pad kb vs no number pad kb. It's just bundled with the smaller one but you can sub in the #pad one. Did that change?
epic_ed

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
I thought it was an option - number pad kb vs no number pad kb. It's just bundled with the smaller one but you can sub in the #pad one. Did that change?

I believe you still have a choice of either wired keyboard for free.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I like Apple keyboards though. I was glad to upgrade to an aluminum keyboard over the older clear plastic design. That thing was a crumb magnet.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I just don't know about adjusting to the chiclet keys. I like the firmness of the keys, but the spacing and flatness always seem to bother me in the store. Did you have any trouble?
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
I like Apple keyboards though. I was glad to upgrade to an aluminum keyboard over the older clear plastic design. That thing was a crumb magnet.

I've been thinking about doing the same thing. I just don't know about adjusting to the chiclet keys. I like the firmness of the keys, but the spacing and flatness always seem to bother me in the store. Did you have any trouble?

No trouble at all. I prefer the chicklet design far more than the old design. I'm quite certain, that you will learn to like it over the classic design and never want to go back to it. I bet it would take way less than a week. It's quieter, easier to push the keys and it's almost impossible to press 2 keys at once. It's also much nicer/easier to look at the keys and quickly pick a character due to the wide spacing. I do a mix of touch/look typing.

The new design is 1000X easier to keep clean. Very easy vs. nearly impossible. Just pick it up once in a while and blow the little bits of crumbs, dust off. I clean the actual keys with a monitor/lens wipe once in a while. Being that they are flat. They actually come very clean with just a wipe.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
The new design is 1000X easier to keep clean. Very easy vs. nearly impossible. Just pick it up once in a while and blow the little bits of crumbs, dust off. I clean the actual keys with a monitor/lens wipe once in a while. Being that they are flat. They actually come very clean with just a wipe.

I'm such a creature of habit, but you almost have me sold. My white keyboard just looks so grungy. It's getting a little embarrassing when people come into the man cave (i.e. basement). I know that aluminum is going to look better sitting in front of the old Cinema too. It won't take up as much room either. Okay, sold! When are these new ones coming? Smile
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

I'm such a creature of habit, but you almost have me sold. My white keyboard just looks so grungy. It's getting a little embarrassing when people come into the man cave (i.e. basement). I know that aluminum is going to look better sitting in front of the old Cinema too. It won't take up as much room either. Okay, sold! When are these new ones coming? Smile

I went through 3 cans of air trying to keep the old one clean. Honestly I found it embarrassing as well. I have the computer in my main living area so it is very much in sight. I just couldn't keep that old one clean.
Sounds like a good enough excuse to get a new one that the wife will agree with. It might be a harder sell if it's in the man cave. Truly though, these new style keyboard are much more sanitary. With all the H1N1 scares etc. it is nice to have a keyboard that you can clean periodically. It might even protect you and your family from spreading germs to one another.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
With all the H1N1 scares etc. it is nice to have a keyboard that you can clean periodically. It might even protect you and your family from spreading germs to one another.

Are you guys trying to give me a heart attack or something? Wink
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:
With all the H1N1 scares etc. it is nice to have a keyboard that you can clean periodically. It might even protect you and your family from spreading germs to one another.

Are you guys trying to give me a heart attack or something? Wink

I think you've had enough health related issues in the last year or two, you should be good until 2010 Wink
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
I think you've had enough health related issues in the last year or two, you should be good until 2010 Wink

Maybe, but all this talk of H1N1 has me freaking out.

Hey, I just saw an article on Engadget about Apple losing the trademark for the mark Mighty Mouse. I guess this new mouse won't include the name Mighty Mouse. Not that I ever really cared for the name anyways.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

devo wrote:
Bandit Bill wrote:

Maybe, but all this talk of H1N1 has me freaking out.

Hey, I just saw an article on Engadget about Apple losing the trademark for the mark Mighty Mouse. I guess this new mouse won't include the name Mighty Mouse. Not that I ever really cared for the name anyways.

"Man & Machine not only filed for this particular trademark in December of that year, but it also simultaneously sued Apple and CBS over their use of the name."

Lovely company.

Mighty Mouse is a name Apple could do without anyhow. Most people using mice either weren't born, can't remember, or really don't have any liking for Mighty Mouse. His character died about 30 years ago. Other than memories of watching the cartoon as a kid, I can't say I actually liked Mighty Mouse. With about 3 channels to choose from back then, it's what you watched by default. I remember his voice being oddly larger/huskier than his character, even if he was "mighty" Smile.

MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Man & Machine not only filed for this particular trademark in December of that year, but it also simultaneously sued Apple and CBS over their use of the name."

Lovely company.

I thought that little guy with the cape I used to watch in the mid-50's had the trademark on his own name. How did someone in 2007 get it? Razz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: