123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mac mini and iMac Updates Soon?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since when has Apple ever given people what they think is necessary? Apple is in the business of giving people the illusion of value. You want HTPC, here is the Apple TV, you want HD here is iTunes HD, you want HDMI here is mini-DisplayPort. Certainly they don't really care if we mod our hardware, and they know exactly how easy it would be to do it in one try, but that would cut down on consumers buying more than one box.

If anybody has ever received 100% of what you wanted or expected from Apple, they have pretty low expectations. But hey, I bought a few thousand shares of it at $38 a few years back and it's knocking at close to $185, so keep on doing the same thing and I'll keep buying.
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ez061111 wrote:
But hey, I bought a few thousand shares of it at $38 a few years back and it's knocking at close to $185, so keep on doing the same thing and I'll keep buying.

You must pray for Steve every night before bed! Very Happy
MalzyWheels

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think if there is a refresh, it will be the iMac only and it'll be an internal only refresh - faster processor (no quad cores), better graphics card, more memory and hard drive space. If a major redesign was coming, there'd be a special event coming with it to give people a chance to oooh and ahhh over it and to give media outlets chances to pump free publicity all over the place. You don't do a major product change without any ballyhoo, but you don't go into the holiday season with the crown jewel of your consumer line stagnant.

That being said, I think the iMac will undergo a makeover in the Spring. And it'll be a retro one, too. My sources tell me that it will look just like a tabletop Philco Predicta! Laughing

http://www.50spredicta.com/tv.html
1961 HH Scott 299C integrated Amplifier (7591 Output Tubes)
B&W DM302 speakers
James T Kirk
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
Fry's is selling netbooks with 1 GB RAM and 160 GB HDD for $350, and HP Pavillion Slimlines with Quad Cores, 6 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD with Blu-Ray ROM and TV Turner for $880. The MacRumors ranting is right; Apple needs to re-position the price/performance of the Mac Mini line in that price range.

That's not new. I hear that rant already for years. Laughing It is not that other computers are cheaper, it's the "Apple expirience" Wink
cheef

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is there any further evidence today? Do we still feel there will be a product refresh this week?
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a post yesterday on MacRumors that a Mac Mini buyer was told to wait two weeks for an updated version by an Apple Store employee.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuesday's are Apple funday's.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalzyWheels wrote:
That being said, I think the iMac will undergo a makeover in the Spring. And it'll be a retro one, too. My sources tell me that it will look just like a tabletop Philco Predicta! Laughing

http://www.50spredicta.com/tv.html

But thinner. Wink

I've been happy with my G5 over the years, but I'll never buy another iMac. I'm sticking with the Mac mini or whatever else they have sans head down the road.

It will be interesting to see what they do with the Mac mini this time around though. I think going back to that original $499 price point would be fantastic.
iLife's a Bitch!
WahWahWatson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't a Mac mini that is "faster and more affordable than ever" mean something below $499? Smile
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WahWahWatson wrote:
Wouldn't a Mac mini that is "faster and more affordable than ever" mean something below $499? Smile

Going below $499 would give the impression Apple cheapened the Mac Mini, like going with Atom processors or something, in the Netbook range. I don't think they will make that mistake. But if they DO lower it to $499 WITH some hardware upgrades, that would be cool!
MalzyWheels

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
WahWahWatson wrote:

Going below $499 would give the impression Apple cheapened the Mac Mini, like going with Atom processors or something, in the Netbook range. I don't think they will make that mistake. But if they DO lower it to $499 WITH some hardware upgrades, that would be cool!

$498.99! Laughing
1961 HH Scott 299C integrated Amplifier (7591 Output Tubes)
B&W DM302 speakers
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
I'm not convinced the iMac Steve Jobs connection dictates the configuration of the Mac Mini.

Well, let me try an explanation that we can agree on; Apple aren't going to sell many $1200 computers if the $600 machine has the same performance.
ez061111
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnnyBoy wrote:
MacDSmith2 wrote:
I'm not convinced the iMac Steve Jobs connection dictates the configuration of the Mac Mini.

Well, let me try an explanation that we can agree on; Apple aren't going to sell many $1200 computers if the $600 machine has the same performance.

You speak the truth! For a little guy that can only stay mounted on pegs and lives in a world of right angles you certainly made it easy to grasp!
3.5GHz 6C MP, D700s
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no reason the Mac Mini can't have a top of the line configuration equal to the top of the line iMac. They serve different markets, and the iMac has the monitor, keyboard and mouse, which if it goes to LED, is a costly addition. In otherwords, I hope the whole blummin product line gets a performance update from top to bottom! Wink
WahWahWatson

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:
WahWahWatson wrote:

I probably should have explained that more. I believe the G4 Mac mini sold for $499 when it first came out. The quote from these ads saying "more affordable than ever" would have to represent a price below $499. If not, that's false advertising on Apple's part. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: