123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with decision

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeekingAnswers

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Help with decision Reply with quote

I have been doing a lot of research on the Mac Mini and was so sure I was going to get one once my 1080p monitor gets freed up. After upgrading the Mini the final price without the monitor would be around $830.

I was at Best Buy yesterday looking for a new TV to releive my current monitor of it's movie duties and stumbled across the Macbook aluminum. I was vaguely interested until I inspected it closer and actually held the Macbook in my hands. I was instantly enamoured with the sleek style of the new macbook.

Here is delema: I really don't want to let my 24" monitor go to waste considering i paid $250 for it and I believe it to be a good monitor. I figured I would put the monitor to greater use if I bought a Mac mini, but I also know I can hook up the macbook to the monitor also. I am just so in love with sleek new style and don't mind spending $3-400 more dollars for the macbook.

Please advise, Seeking.
saul

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you need a laptop then the MacBook is right. If you need a home theater then the mini is right. Maybe you need one of each?

What all do you want to do with it? If you like the sleek look and feel of a MacBook you give it up when using it as a home theater because you will keep the lid closed. External monitor, keyboard, and mouse means that the MacBook is a stylish paperweight.

This is a mini forum so most of us are biased. Wink
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely want to consider what you are going to do with it.

I think laptops are interesting, but I have zero use for a mobile computer.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You definitely want to consider what you are going to do with it.

I think laptops are interesting, but I have zero use for a mobile computer.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
SeekingAnswers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main reason for getting either the Mac mini or Macbook is to experience the Mac OS and interface that I hear such great things about. I am so sick of using Windows and I want to make that leap.

With either purchase, I will be upgrading to a WD Scorpio Black HDD and 4GB of ram. My main use is surfing the web, but I also want to start loading up movies onto the computer to one day use it with my entertainment system. I also will be streaming from Netflix and Hulu.

Both computer, from what I've gathered, will perform about the same with consideration to their form factor. I really believe I will get the most out of the Mac mini for what I want to do with it but my heart string is being tugged towards the Macbook. I would love to own either one of these beautiful piece of work, hence I am torn between the two.
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in the same dilemma when I switched. At that time I was using a couple of windows desktops and a windows laptop. I wanted a Mac to escape the Windows world but preferred to use a desktop machine rather than a laptop. I did need for a laptop for University.

As a 20year+ windows user and never having used the Mac OS I had no idea if I would even like using it. The entry level Mac Mini was the most appealing. Less money wasted if I didn't like the Mac.

I never bought the Mini in the end, as once I added in all the extra's such as a new monitor, keyboard and mouse it was almost at the price of the Macbook / iMac. I dismissed the Macbook early on as coming from a multi monitor windows system a 13" screen just wasn't going to cut it.

I decided on the iMac and really haven't regretted it, and my old windows second monitor was quickly hooked up as an additional monitor on the iMac. I never used the windows machine again after buying the iMac. Its still in the cupboard in my desk but has hardly been turned on since I finished copied all my files over to the iMac.

My only problem after buying the iMac was that fact that I was having to use my Windows XP laptop for Uni. After a weeks of using the Mac OS I knew I was never going to return to windows and so I solved that problem 6 months later when I bought myself a MacBook Pro.

My only regret was not buying the best Mac I could afford in the first place, worrying that I wouldn't settle for the Mac OS. If I was in the same position now I wouldn't hesitate and would have bought a 24" top of the range iMac.

Honestly, I think you will love the Mac and if you have a need for a desktop and a laptop and your anything like me, then in 6-12 months you will end up with both. So my advice is buy the one that you will get the most use out of now, and leave your options open to also buy the other later.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
SeekingAnswers

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the great advice, Cypher. Good to hear from someone with similar quandaries.

I have planned on owning both product down the line but the more I thought about it the more it made less sense to me. I don't need my mac to be a dedicated entertainment system, just every now and then, so owning both would be redundant and a waste of money. That is why I am thinking the Macbook makes more sense to me. I could use it in my room for my daily computing needs and then just hook it up to my entertainment system when I want to watch movies and stream videos (but I guess you could do the same with a mini, just less portable).

I like the Macbook because it is a simple computer without the auxiliary mouse and keyboard to clutter up the desk. One big factor is to keep my monitor in consideration. I really don't want to let it go to waste. I don't have any experience working with a notebook hooked up to a monitor before - it just seems counter intuitive to me.

I know I sound really partial to the macbook at this point, and I do apologize for sounding like a macbook fanboy on this site, given it is a mac mini forum. I would like to hear some more personal accounts and the pros and cons before I make my decision.

Seeking
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeekingAnswers wrote:
Thanks for the great advice, Cypher. Good to hear from someone with similar quandaries.

I have planned on owning both product down the line but the more I thought about it the more it made less sense to me. I don't need my mac to be a dedicated entertainment system, just every now and then, so owning both would be redundant and a waste of money. That is why I am thinking the Macbook makes more sense to me. I could use it in my room for my daily computing needs and then just hook it up to my entertainment system when I want to watch movies and stream videos (but I guess you could do the same with a mini, just less portable).

I like the Macbook because it is a simple computer without the auxiliary mouse and keyboard to clutter up the desk. One big factor is to keep my monitor in consideration. I really don't want to let it go to waste. I don't have any experience working with a notebook hooked up to a monitor before - it just seems counter intuitive to me.

I know I sound really partial to the macbook at this point, and I do apologize for sounding like a macbook fanboy on this site, given it is a mac mini forum. I would like to hear some more personal accounts and the pros and cons before I make my decision.

Seeking

in your case there is a strong case to buy this unit

http://store.apple.com/us/product/FB991LL/A?mco=Nzk3MDMwNQ

it is a refurbished piece

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
philiparcario
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i pick it because no mini will process as fast. 2.53ghz you can mod later with this drive

http://www.provantage.com/western-digital-wd6400bevt~7WND904C.htm

and these sticks of memory

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?name=W1066SB4GH

promise pegasus r6 3x 3tb + 3x 4tb =21tb hdds
lacie little big disk 2x 512gb ssds
synology 2tb disk station
Cypher
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeekingAnswers wrote:
I like the Macbook because it is a simple computer without the auxiliary mouse and keyboard to clutter up the desk.

I don't have any experience working with a notebook hooked up to a monitor before - it just seems counter intuitive to me.

Don't worry about talking about Macbook's on this forum, I've never owned a mini and thats never been a problem here.

On the issue of using the laptop with a monitor, I do that all the time but less so on the Mac Sad On my Dell laptops I have docking stations both at work and at home, so all my peripherals are constantly connected to the dock, when I need to use the laptop I just click it in the dock and use my normal keyboard, mouse, monitor etc. I also have the docks hooked up to a KVM so I use the same setup on my desktop and laptop. I rarely use my windows laptops around the home or office any other way.

As I don't have a docking option for my Macbook Pro though, I find I rarely use it as a desktop computer, its just to messy having to plug in all the leads.

Mac Mini 2.53GHz - iMac 2.0Ghz - Macbook Pro 2.4GHz - iPad 1 32GB 3G
6TB Netgear Ready NAS NV+ - 6TB Drobo S
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add my two cents to the Mac Mini side of the debate: maximum flexibility. The small screen may in time become a problem. With the Mac Mini, you have an upgrade path on all items, screen, keyboard, mouse. And you can make it more portable using a portable DVD player screen. The small size and ability to toss the Mac Mini into a backpack is the ultimate in convenience, especially if you have flat screen tv's at home and at school.
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Mac Book As A Desktop Reply with quote

I'm using a Mac Book as a desktop computer. A year and a half ago I wanted an Apple computer. I decided on a Mini. Unfortunately at that time the forums were constantly saying that the Mini was due for an upgrade "any day now". So I waited six months until my Gateway XP computer was about to die. It was on its last leg and the Mini hadn't been updated yet. I decided to get a Mac Book. At that time I was really hating Windows and wasn't about to get another Windows computer even though I had never really used an Apple Macintosh.

I bought the 2.4 GHz 2 GB RAM Mac Book. It was only a little bit more than a Mini with all of the upgrades. It continues to be a great computer. It isn't perfect but it is so much better than a Windows machine.

For about eight months I just used the laptop screen. My spare 15" monitor was connected a few times but I preferred the little screen for watching movies on my lap. I did connect an Apple keyboard to it.

Last June my vision started going bad and I bought a 23" monitor to use connected to the Mac Book. It is great. I can watch almost two full browser windows side by side.

With a Mac Book as a desktop you get a backup battery: a spare monitor (you can use two at a time), a keyboard, a web camera, a microphone, small speakers, and a track pad. Instead of having a short square on your desk you will be using a flat rectangle. If you ever need to do something with the computer in another room or during a power failure you can just use the Mac Book alone.

In my case I spent $150 more for the Mac Book and got all those extra features with a faster processor. I don't know how the math would come out now with the new models. Right now the new Mini will process images and video faster than my 2008 Mac Book.

My Mac Book hasn't left my home since I bought it. Recently I found a new use for it as a tele-prompter. I put a script on it in Text Edit and scroll through it while speaking into a camera. I record the videos in a different room and bring the Mac Book with me.

If you've already made your decision I hope that this post will be helpful to others who might have the same questions.

Smallwheels

www.MrMoneyHelper.com
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
tollickd

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am in the same situation, I am looking at the low end of 15" MBP. But for about 200 Euro's cheaper and is the same spec but with a wireless mac KB, Magic mouse and a 24" LCD screen! not sure as i like having my windows notebooks on my lap when i am watch my TV so i can search and have the tv in the back ground!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: