123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New HP MediaSmart Home Servers Boost Mac Support

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: New HP MediaSmart Home Servers Boost Mac Support Reply with quote

New HP MediaSmart Home Servers Boost Mac Support
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
Posted by: Fran

HP today announced the release of their new and improved MediaSmart EX490 and EX495 Home Servers with more features for Mac users. This includes features like server administration, media collection and a new disc recovery utility providing bare metal recovery on a Mac using Time Machine. In addition, owners of an iPod Touch or iPhone can download a free HP MediaSmart Server iStream application from the App Store, enabling them to stay connected to their digital media stored on the server. The MediaSmart EX490 with a Celeron processor and 1TB hard drive and EX495 with a Pentium Dual Core processor and 1.5TB hard drive are available now for pre-order and priced at $549 and $699, respectively.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1317.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Sep 16, 2009 6:57 pm; edited 3 times in total
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking about buying one of these for a while now. Does anyone here have one? If so, is the fan loud?
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also thinking seriously of buying one of these. It looks like a great addtion to a Mac Mini network with the Apple Extreme 1 Gigabyte router. The bays are hot swapable and use 3.5 inch drives so you can get a lot of terabytes in the thing.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...I have a WHS, but not an HP one. It's custom built, and there's no Apple compatible options available online. There's a "hack" to use it for Time Machine back-ups, and you could easily transfer files from a Mac into and out of the WHS; but that's pretty much it. It seems only HP has the right technology and software to give Mac users a much better experience (the iPhone App option is tempting too) ...so if your a Mac user, buy the HP WHS (I'm tempted to sell mine on Ebay or something).

The only thing that makes me want to keep my custom built one, is that I could take full advantage of Windows Server 2003 (Small Business Edition) - which is what WHS really is.
cfhayback

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Severs? Reply with quote

I assume you meant to put "SERVERS" in the title, not "Severs"
minis
Wedge

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Re: Severs? Reply with quote

cfhayback wrote:

Good eye. Quite a different connotation with severs versus servers.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Severs? Reply with quote

Wedge wrote:
cfhayback wrote:

Good eye. Quite a different connotation with severs versus servers.

It's a Microsoft product ...it could be severe (not sure what "severs" means though)
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the typo! Embarassed

I would have fixed it earlier, but we've been having FTP issues with our sever today. Make that server today. Smile

~ Fran
MacDSmith2
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just down at Fry's Electroncis and they have a new Microsoft Home Server from Acer that is smaller than the HP model, costs $100 less and has more memory and a larger disk drive, with the same bays available. I wonder how much HP put into their version that is not in the MS Home Server software by default?
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
I've been thinking about buying one of these for a while now. Does anyone here have one? If so, is the fan loud?

I've had the MediaSmart EX485 for a few months. It's audible, but not bad.

MacDSmith2 wrote:
I was just down at Fry's Electroncis and they have a new Microsoft Home Server from Acer that is smaller than the HP model, costs $100 less and has more memory and a larger disk drive, with the same bays available. I wonder how much HP put into their version that is not in the MS Home Server software by default?

It doesn't include the same custom stuff for OS X. I also believe it has an Atom processor. I'm not saying that makes it a bad product, but that accounts for some of the difference in price.
MacScout67

PostPosted: Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just pre-ordered the EX490 from Onsale.com. I can't wait to get it setup. I've been wanting one for the last few months.
YesHD

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MacDSmith2 wrote:

I almost bought one the other day. I can't speak for the differences in WHS, but they look really nice in person. I'm going to read more into them over the weekend.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would highly recommend Windows Home Server Unleashed by SAMS if anyone is interested in taking full advantage of their WHS. ...in reality, WHS is Windows Server 2003 Small Business edition, and this book will teach you things you never imagined your WHS could do.

Here's a link to Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Home-Server-Unleashed/dp/0672329638/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1253933059&sr=8-9
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: