123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Posts Video of September 2009 Media Event

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 2:42 am    Post subject: Apple Posts Video of September 2009 Media Event Reply with quote

Apple Posts Video of September 2009 Media Event
Thursday, September 10, 2009
Posted by: Brian

Apple has posted a podcast on iTunes and QuickTime stream of the September 2009 media event. "Watch Steve Jobs and Phil Schiller announce the new iPod touch lineup, the new iPod nano with built-in video camera, and iTunes 9, the world's most popular software application for purchasing, managing and playing media," notes the company. The video runs approximately an hour and fifteen minutes long.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1313.html
castaway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched the beginning to see Steve, but then skipped over the rest. I didn't think it was very exciting event announcement wise. I do think the new iPod nano is a winner though. In fact, I might order one for myself later today.
Spindledk

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that the podcast version isn't up yet?
castaway

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spindledk wrote:
It seems that the podcast version isn't up yet?

I'm not sure, but you may need to subscribe to the podcast. I just watched the 480 stream.
heulenwolf

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Podcast Reply with quote

I watched the podcast version late last night. Even though it was midnight Eastern time, iTunes sat there waiting to download for a good 25 minutes. Eventually, I got my turn in line.

I agree that it was less exciting than expected. They trotted out Steve, Norah Jones, and picked 9/9/09 to announce a few niche product updates. I get the feeling they were planning more and something didn't work out. I guess having the event rather than simply releasing the updates on their website prevented competitors from having the limelight for a few days.

Nonetheless, I'm pleased to see the new Home Sharing feature in iTunes 9. It didn't require a special event to announce but it does solve a problem for me and does so without my shelling out more money.

The video Nano is confusing. They've further isolated the iPod Touch and iPhone 3G. To get video recording, you can either get one of their cheapest iPods (that has buttons) or you can get their top of the line iPhone 3GS. iPhone 3G users are left with photos only and iPod Touch users are left with no photo or video taking capabilities. Since the Nano doesn't have WiFi, you must share your video by going back to your computer and syncing. Neither the 3GS nor the Nano have the storage expansion capabilities that many want in a video device. Neither device does HD nor has the built-in USB connector like the Flip Mino they're trying to out-do: http://www.theflip.com/products_flip_ultra_specs.II.shtml Its interesting but it just doesn't seem to fit with the product nor in their product lineup. Like I said, I'm confused by the choice to release the Nano, and only the Nano, with video.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather have a Flip Mino HD or Webbie HD for just taking video, but the iPod nano does offer a lot more in a small package. I guess that's the case they are making. I have no idea why they passed up on adding a camera to the iPod touch. They said to keep costs down for gamers, but I think it's more about protecting the iPhone from being cannibalized. That's where they are making a ton of money from AT&T and the other carriers around the world. An iPod touch with a microphone and Skype could become like a thorn in their side for those kinda deals. Oh well, I feel better about pre-ordering a Zune HD now. I already have an iPhone, so this just gives me something new and different to play around with. I was afraid the new iPod touch would smoke it, but I don't think that's the case now. I would still buy one over the Zune HD sans iPhone though. I mean, just for the App Store alone.
belder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had my heart set on an iPod Touch with camera and was very disappointed in just the Nano getting it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: