123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Premieres iTunes 9
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Apple Premieres iTunes 9 Reply with quote

Apple Announces iTunes 9
Wednesday, September 9, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

Apple today introduced iTunes 9, a major update to their popular media player and online store. The new release includes innovative features such as iTunes LP, Home Sharing and Genius Mixes, as well as a redesigned store and improved syncing. iTunes 9 also makes it easier than ever to discover, purchase and enjoy your music, movies, TV shows, and apps for iPhone and iPod touch from Apple's App Store. Plus, Home Sharing now lets you easily transfer songs, movies and TV shows to other computers in your home.

"iTunes 9 is a great iTunes release, with innovative features that make using iTunes better than ever and iTunes content richer than ever," said Steve Jobs, Apple's CEO. "iTunes LP, for example, lets artists share more of their creativity with fans and gives music lovers the feeling of being immersed in an entire album with art, lyrics, liner notes, photos and videos."

iTunes LP is the next evolution of the music album delivering a rich, immersive experience for select albums on the iTunes Store by combining beautiful design with expanded visual features like live performance videos, lyrics, artwork, liner notes, interviews, photos, album credits and more. iTunes LP debuts today with albums including Bob Dylan's "Highway 61 Revisited," Norah Jones' "Come Away With Me," The Grateful Dead's "American Beauty" and Dave Matthews Band's "Big Whiskey and the GrooGrux King: iTunes Pass." The new iTunes Extras provides a similar experience for movies on iTunes with features including documentaries, deleted scenes, interviews and interactive galleries. iTunes Extras is now available for select movies including "Twilight," "Batman Begins," "WALL-E," "Iron Man" and "The Da Vinci Code." Customers can enjoy iTunes LP and iTunes Extras on a Mac or PC.

iTunes 9 also introduces Home Sharing, which lets you easily transfer music, movies and TV shows among up to five authorized computers in your home. Family members can now view up to five iTunes libraries on their home network, see only the portion of these libraries they don't already have, import their favorite content directly to their own libraries, and automatically add new purchases from other computers into their library.

The popular Genius feature gets even better with Genius Mixes which are created using the results of over 27 million music libraries with over 54 billion songs that have been submitted and analyzed by Genius. The new Genius Mixes feature is like having a "Genius" DJ that automatically generates up to 12 endless mixes of songs from your iTunes library that go great together.

With improved syncing in iTunes 9 and iPhone OS 3.1, you can now organize your iPhone apps right in iTunes and they will automatically appear on your iPhone with the same layout. Plus, syncing music, photos, movies and TV shows is easier than ever with the added ability to sync music by artist and genre and sync photos by Events and Faces. The iTunes Store on iPhone now features precut ringtone downloads with over 20,000 ringtones priced at $1.29.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1308.html

Last edited by admin on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:40 pm; edited 4 times in total
krassyo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by krassyo on Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still trying to figure out some of the Home Sharing stuff, but this is definitely the best iTunes update in a while now.
The Pontificator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder why when I open iTunes I don't get an update notice? Or when I click iTunes>Check for Updates I'm told that my present version is the most current?

NEVER MIND. It just kicked in.
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like most of the new features, but I hate the white backgrounds. Is there any way of changing that back to the darker color?
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pontificator wrote:
I wonder why when I open iTunes I don't get an update notice? Or when I click iTunes>Check for Updates I'm told that my present version is the most current?

Mine didn't kick in for a while either. Now it's taking forever to download. I'm being clocked at 30 minutes. Sad
Grover Time

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care for the white backgrounds either. It looks totally unpolished and unfinished.

Home Sharing is pretty sweet though.
MalzyWheels

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grover Time wrote:
I don't care for the white backgrounds either. It looks totally unpolished and unfinished.

I third that! Although I can acquiesce that the white background gives the ability of shadowing, and that makes the album artwork pop. Plus, the text is easier to read.

Just can't use iTunes when I have a hangover, that's all! Smile
1961 HH Scott 299C integrated Amplifier (7591 Output Tubes)
B&W DM302 speakers
Zuma

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fail for me. The feature set is nice, but everything looks so washed out. I bet it even looks more washed out with the old standard 1.8 gamma.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's like a white out for Snow Leopard. I hate the white background in grid view and the new gradients and buttons. It all looks blurry to me. Maybe that's just my eyes though. I've been staring at the screen for the last few hours.
Texark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This release just sucks from a visual standpoint. I almost feel like rolling back to 8.
Gator Fan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use Cover Flow view, so the new look doesn't really bother me. But I would keep it for the Home Sharing anyways. That's a god send when you have multiple libraries.
Harmory & Apple remotes
2 X FreeAgent Desk for Mac drives.

Last edited by Gator Fan on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:08 am; edited 1 time in total
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like iTunes 9 so far. I think the home sharing is going to be very handy. I'm just having a hard time adjusting to the new store layout. I don't care for all those scolling windows inside a window either.
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not crazy about the new grid view, but the rest rocks. I'm already auto sharing like a mother.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
somefreak90

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno yet... for one, I can't minimize the window like I used to anymore...
The iTunes store was also having some problems, because it wouldn't let my sister upgrade her iPod Touch software.
However, I like the new layout of the iTunes Store.[/img]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: