123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Releases Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.2 [U]
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Why super drive still make noise at startup? Reply with quote

fiat wrote:
I bought mine from Amazon in April. Different sellers (and discount) could be the reason getting products with different (lower grade) parts. Did you buy yours from apple directly?

Not necessarily. What retailers they are sold through should have no effect on who supplies their components. Most likely they have multiple suppliers for common parts, which should be made to similar standards. Or their was a change in suppliers somewhere along the line. Or different manufacturers use different suppliers, however I believe all Minis are made by Quanta in one location.

For the record, my refurbished '09 2.0 Mini has a Pioneer drive.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
CaliforniaMini
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And this update definitely did speed things up. Safari opened before the icon completed one bounce in the dock. Safari is starting to work like it should have done a long time ago.
Mini 2.0GHz (Early 2009), 4GB RAM, 320GB 72k RPM HD
fiat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Why super drive still make noise at startup? Reply with quote

CaliforniaMini wrote:
fiat wrote:
I bought mine from Amazon in April. Different sellers (and discount) could be the reason getting products with different (lower grade) parts.

Not necessarily. What retailers they are sold through should have no effect on who supplies their components. Most likely they have multiple suppliers for common parts, which should be made to similar standards. Or their was a change in suppliers somewhere along the line. Or different manufacturers use different suppliers, however I believe all Minis are made by Quanta in one location.

For the record, my refurbished '09 2.0 Mini has a Pioneer drive.

The key here is that apple has total control on distributing products with different parts to resellers. I would imagine apple could know that OPTIARC superdrive has a small bug and Pioneer's doesn't, and so they would keep mini with Pioneer's at apple store and send mini with Optiarc and/or Pioneer to resellers (allow resellers to sell in discount). How is that not possible? IMO
LE Studios

PostPosted: Tue Sep 08, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Why super drive still make noise at stsrtup? Reply with quote

fiat wrote:
LE Studios wrote:
We got the same Mac mini but I looked at my Info I got a Pioneer SuperDrive! How is that possible? Question

I bought mine from Amazon in April. Different sellers (and discount) could be the reason getting products with different (lower grade) parts. Did you buy yours from apple directly?

Yes I bought my from a local Apple Store! Wow! Shocked

I didn't think that this was possible I thought it was all the same parts. I really thought the EFI Upgrade was for the 2007 Mac mini.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: