123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which OS X was the best improvement over its predecessor?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which cat was the best improvement over its predecessor?
10.1 - "Puma"
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
10.2 - "Jaguar"
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
10.3 - "Panther"
11%
 11%  [ 3 ]
10.4 - "Tiger"
59%
 59%  [ 16 ]
10.5 - "Leopard"
22%
 22%  [ 6 ]
10.6 - "Snow Leopard"
3%
 3%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 27

JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Which OS X was the best improvement over its predecessor? Reply with quote

I was going to ask "What was your favourite version of OS X?". But as the evolution of OS X is a story of continuous improvement, it's likely that the most recent cat would scoop all of the votes. I mean, Jaguar wouldn't really stand much of a chance against Snow Leopard.

So I'm asking a different question, one that gives all versions a more equal chance: "Which version of OS X was the biggest/best improvement over its predecessor?"

-----

I bought my first Mac in 2004, so I didn't get to see OS X evolve from version 10.0 (my eMac came with 10.3) and that means that I can't reliably give an opinion on the first three poll candidates. But I'm going to vote for Tiger.

Before 2004 I'd only used Windows, so I'd never experienced an operating system 'upgrade' that actually made your computer faster, until I installed Tiger on my eMac. It was also rock solid. And I'd still be using it today if I hadn't sold my 2006 Mini and bought a 2009 model. Cool
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, 10.1 and 10.2 were pretty much crap. With 10.3 being the first decent version of OS X, I would say it's the best improvement. More revolutionary, and the rest have been evolutionary.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
MalzyWheels

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first version of OS X was Panther, and it was a breath of fresh air over OS 9.2.2. But Tiger blew Panther away in a way that no newer version of OS X has over its previous version; it had too many nice, new features. Panther was evidence that Apple had a handle on it's OS, Tiger was proof that they had mastered it.

That being said, I think Snow Leopard might be the better upgrade over Leopard, despite having less new UI bells and whistles.
1961 HH Scott 299C integrated Amplifier (7591 Output Tubes)
B&W DM302 speakers
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compatibility issues aside, I think Snow Leopard is the best release yet. Tiger was probably the biggest leap forward from a previous version though.
Aquafire
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I''m still using Tiger. Its my preferred option.

Given that the age of my T laptop, it's just the perfect combination of speed & stability.

Aqua

Which would you choose?

OS X : LinuX : UniX or MS-BolloX.
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Panther was already good, but Tiger added a lot of fun a useful features, but you could live without them or download the original software that Apple model theirs after. I have to say the upgrade to Panther was the biggest improvement. Now with each OS release we are simple getting more icing on the cake. Apple has to be careful though. Too much icing can ruin a cake.
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
Too much icing can ruin a cake.

Especially when that icing is just smacked on the cake without much testing.

Oh well, at least the master chief seems to be back in action now. He might be able to clean up some of the recent sloppiness.
iLife's a Bitch!
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say Leopard for me. I remember buying an iMac when Tiger first came out, and I really hated the computer (or maybe it was the OS). ...then again, I was a hardcore Windows developer/user and Sony Vaio fan boy Very Happy

When Leopard came out, and Mac's just looked a whole lot better than Vaio's, I figured I would give them a try again and got a Mac Mini - I must say it was the best computer I had ever used, I just loved Leopard for some reason, and ended up getting a MacBook Air (replaced with Mac Book Pro) ...and now, all I use are Mac's.
ghostdawg
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me I would say Tiger, since my '05 mini came with Panther. I like Tiger alot more, so it's the best from the ones I've used! Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Member Polls All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: