123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rumor: Mini to come with 521mb soon.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougg

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:23 am    Post subject: Rumor: Mini to come with 521mb soon. Reply with quote

http://macdailynews.com/index.php/weblog/comments/4850/ I doubt its true but who knows?
louie2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Imac comes with 256mb. The eMac comes with 256mb. The least expensive Mini comes with 512mb........ummmmm ain't going to happen!
livemusicfan

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's review Apple's current offerings and standard memory.

Mac Mini Line (G4 Processor)
1.25GHz 256MB
1.42GHz 256MB

iMac Line (G4 Processor)
17" 1.6GHz 256MB
17" 1.8GHz 256MB
20" 1.8GHz 256MB

eMac Line (G4 Processor)
Combo Drive 256MB
SuperDrive 256MB

PowerMac (G5 Processor)
Single 1.8GHz 256MB
Dual 1.8GHz 256MB
Dual 2.0GHz 512MB
Dual 2.5GHz 512MB

iBook (G4 Processor)
12" 1.2GHz 256MB
14" 1.33GHz 256MB (Combo Drive)
14" 1.33GHz 256MB (SuperDrive)

PowerBook (G4 Processor)
12" 1.33GHz 256MB (Combo Drive)
12" 1.33GHz 256MB (SuperDrive)
15" 1.33GHz 256MB (ComboDrive)
15" 1.5GHz 512MB (SuperDrive)
17" 1.5GHz 512MB (SuperDrive)

So basically 21% of Apple's standard ship products come with 256MB of memory. Only 37% have the a G5 processor. I do not work for Apple nor can I predict the future but I doubt we will see a memory bump on one product offering by next week. The only way I can see Apple changing memory configurations would be if Tiger does in fact run so poor on a 256MB equipped machine that they have no choice.

The basic problem with Mac enthusiasts sites such as this is that we users and Mac faithful, no matter how much we claim to love the company, are demanding. We are all different than the average PC user as well. The target market for this machine is for someone who wants to add an Apple product to their existing Windows environment (or replace it), purchase their first computer (without typical Apple sticker shock) and those of us that would like to add an additional Mac to our home.

Anyone who purchased a TV special Dell in the last year or so will have a USB keyboard and monitor. The processor is not robust in those machines, without the free double memory offer they run all the time they would not have 512MB of RAM (Windows XP machines used to ship all the time with 128MB of memory), and some wont even have a CD burner. After 10 years in the Windows world and almost 4 into my switch from Apple the bottom line for most of us is the fact that Apples machines compliment our life rather than run it.

256MB of memory will not satisfy anyone who wants to run all of the iLife apps together while surfing the web and composing an e-mail but for your average user that logs on to check mail, books some airline tickets, does their taxes and then goes on their life I think its a home run. You will be able to load digital photos, purchase an iPod and do all of the basic computer necessities out of the box. I admit I was not sure at first but after talking to a rep at Apple and comparing the Mini to the rest of the line I think I have made peace with it.

I think most of us here will at least double the memory in our Mac Mini's but don't see it holding the sales back for the average consumer who is educated on the difference between their Windows machine and a new Mac Mini. Its up to us and the friendly folks at the local Apple store to help.
12" 1.33GHz PowerBook / 15GB 3G iPod /
4GB iPod Mini / 1GB iPod Shuffle
billabong

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sincerely doubt after the BTO price earlier this week Apple would now bump up the memory. No way the Imac gets 256mb and the mini gets 512mb. Rumor=False!
andp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it will stay at 256MB.
loca

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Would anger some people Reply with quote

If apple gives the mini 512 mb ram and keeps the prices the same. They'll p*ss off the customers that already received or ordered a Mini. I don't see apple making this move now.
andp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powerbooks were upgraded this morning to 512 across the line!
billabong

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no G5! Sad The had to do something with the powerbooks because the mini was not that far off!
livemusicfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Processors, Hard Drives, Video Cards, and SuperDrives have all been upgraded from the 12" to 17" models.

I think a PowerBook upgrade was assumed and sticking with the G4 processor should tell us no G5 PowrBook for some time.

- Jason
livemusicfan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:26 am    Post subject: Apple Press release Reply with quote

http://www.apple.com/pr/library/2005/jan/31powerbook.html
andp

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

livemusicfan wrote:
Processors, Hard Drives, Video Cards, and SuperDrives have all been upgraded from the 12" to 17" models.

I think a PowerBook upgrade was assumed and sticking with the G4 processor should tell us no G5 PowrBook for some time.

- Jason

I Agree. I bet Apple is stilll have problems getting G5's from IBM since the Imac is selling well.
idave

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bet they update the G5 Power Mac and Imac next. Ibook and Mini will remain at 256mb.
2.0GHz Core 2 Duo Mac mini '09 (sold)
2.3GHz quad-core Intel Core i7 Mac mini
bkt5

PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If 512 is good enough for the Powerbooks then it should be good enough for the mini! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Mini All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: