123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snow Leopard: Wake on Demand

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Snow Leopard: Wake on Demand Reply with quote

Snow Leopard: Wake on Demand
Friday, August 28, 2009
Posted by: Fran

In case you haven't heard yet, Snow Leopard has a new networking feature called Wake on Demand that allows your Mac to go into sleep mode and still share content and printers over Ethernet or Wi-Fi. The feature works by partnering with a service running on an AirPort Base Station or Time Capsule, which are required, called Bonjour Sleep Proxy. When Wake on Demand is enabled, any Mac on your network running Snow Leopard will automatically register itself and its shared items with the Bonjour Sleep Proxy. Then when a request is made to access a shared item on a Mac running Snow Leopard, the Bonjour Sleep Proxy asks that Mac to wake and handle the request. Once that request is complete, your Mac will go back to sleep at its regularly-scheduled interval. Now, is that cool or what?

If you would like to learn more about Wake on Demand, check out the link from above. It explains everything in greater detail and walks you through setting everything up.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1299.html

Last edited by admin on Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Huff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This makes me want to buy a dual-band AirPort Extreme even more.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I can access a Mac at home even if it's asleep? That's a life saver Very Happy
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
So I can access a Mac at home even if it's asleep? That's a life saver Very Happy

Wake for ethernet Administrator access was an option prior to SL. I'm not real certain what the real difference is here. I'm still a little confused. If the shared info isn't being stored on the time capsule. I'm not real clear on the difference. Perhaps someone can clarify the difference for me.
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:

I haven't really tested this out yet, but they say it works with Back to My Mac. You gotta like that!

Bandit Bill wrote:
Wake for ethernet Administrator access was an option prior to SL. I'm not real certain what the real difference is here. I'm still a little confused. If the shared info isn't being stored on the time capsule. I'm not real clear on the difference. Perhaps someone can clarify the difference for me.

This also does wake on wireless if you have a newer Mac. I don't think you could do that before.
Crazibri

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now if only DDWRT or other 3rd party firmware could mimic their technology, that'd be awesome. DDNS it the main reason I dont buy a Time Capsule or AE router.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bandit Bill wrote:
ESUNintel wrote:

I'm not too sure either. I currently use the Wake on Lan widgit in dashboard to send the "magic" packet to wake my machines.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I now see the difference. Wake on Demand now offers a wake on demand via wireless. That's the big difference.
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just made a subtle change to Fran's post by adding "over Ethernet or Wi-Fi" to the end of the first sentence that ended in printers. That may help clear some of the confusion.
tidyguy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this work with an airport express??
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tidyguy wrote:
Will this work with an airport express??

It's working with my 802.11n AirPort Express with 7.4.2.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
tidyguy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So theoretically, an app could be developed that (as long as you're on the same wireless network, and that network was your default one) sends a magic packet to wake a sleeping mac?

I've been after this functionality for so long. Where my mini is placed makes it awkward to bend down and reach behind it to turn it on all the time.

A 'Wake Mac' app would sell like hot cakes I reckon.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tidyguy wrote:
So theoretically, an app could be developed that (as long as you're on the same wireless network, and that network was your default one) sends a magic packet to wake a sleeping mac?

I've been after this functionality for so long. Where my mini is placed makes it awkward to bend down and reach behind it to turn it on all the time.

A 'Wake Mac' app would sell like hot cakes I reckon.

This one works wired not wireless unfortunately.
I have used their dashboard widget for a while.
http://www.readpixel.com/wakeonlan/
mfripp

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Wake on Demand wakes via WiFi, but also makes it automatic Reply with quote

TonyMontana wrote:
Ah I now see the difference. Wake on Demand now offers a wake on demand via wireless. That's the big difference.

Wake on Demand is a bigger feature than that. With Wake on Demand enabled, every time the Mac goes to sleep, it informs the router. It also tells the router about all the services it is hosting on the network (e.g., iTunes or printer sharing). Then the router keeps announcing that those services are available on the local network, even after the Mac has gone to sleep. After that, if the router notices a computer trying to connect to that Mac, it automatically sends a "wake up" packet to the Mac.

With this combination of features, your Mac can go to sleep, but its services remain available on the network. Then, whenever someone tries to use one of those services, the Mac will wake up (transparently) and start fielding requests. This is easier than explicitly sending a "wake up" packet to the Mac yourself. Instead, you just try to connect to the Mac (including using "Back to My Mac"), and the Mac wakes up and starts working automatically. And to top it off, this works via either Ethernet or WiFi, at least with newer Macs. Previously, Macs could only be waken up via Ethernet (and you had to do the legwork of sending the "wake up" packet yourself).

The Ars Technica review of Snow Leopard (http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/08/mac-os-x-10-6.ars/22) implies that Wake on Demand will wake up the Mac anytime someone tries to connect to its IP address for any reason (e.g., accessing a web page hosted on the Mac). But the Apple (http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3774) and MacWorld (http://www.macworld.com/article/142468/2009/08/wake_on_demand.html writeups only describe waking the Mac automatically for Bonjour services, so it's not clear how universal this feature is. Also, this Apple discussion (http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=10378164) indicates that at least a few people are having trouble getting their Mac to wake in response to a "Back to My Mac" connection from the Internet, even though that should in principle work just fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: