123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snow Leopard Review Roundup

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:29 am    Post subject: Snow Leopard Review Roundup Reply with quote

Snow Leopard Review Roundup
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

Well, some of the early reviews of Snow Leopard are starting to roll in now. This includes reviews from AllThingsD, CNET, Engadget, Gizmodo, Macworld, New York Times and USA Today. Down below you'll find an excerpt and link for each review. We'll also continue adding to this roundup over the next few days, as new reviews are released, so please check back for updates. I would also note that most of the reviews have been favorable to this point.

Read more...

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1295.html
Zalez

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting. I can't wait!
g5g5
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, but it sounds like there are a couple bugs around. I'll probably still wait a couple days to install SL on my '09 Mac mini and wife's older C2D MacBook that she just picked up a couple weeks ago. Then again, we always have the old PPC Macs to fall back on. Why not live on the edge? Smile
iLife's a Bitch!
WheelSpinners
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those are some decent reviews, but I get totally annoyed with Walt Mossberg for some reason. He just doesn't come off as being that knowledgeable about computers. He also seems kinda smug.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The CNET review shows Snow Leopard being slower on many things, especially when it comes to iTunes and QuickTime. The test comparing QuickTime X and QuickTime 7 with a Core Duo looks way out of whack. Surprised
Texark

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

epic_ed wrote:
The CNET review shows Snow Leopard being slower on many things, especially when it comes to iTunes and QuickTime. The test comparing QuickTime X and QuickTime 7 with a Core Duo looks way out of whack. Surprised

The Macworld scores are basically looking flat too. I was expecting to see some better numbers.
scoobyrox

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Macworld's review Reply with quote

Macworld mentioned Core solo and Core Duo will see little speed boost. I am wondering if Core Duo includes Core 2 Duo or not. I have the previous generation mac mini. Just wondering if the upgrade will affect Core 2 Duo processors significantly.
aquaman
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Macworld's review Reply with quote

scoobyrox wrote:
Macworld mentioned Core solo and Core Duo will see little speed boost. I am wondering if Core Duo includes Core 2 Duo or not.

It doesn't because Core 2 Duo processors are 64-bit. The Core Solo and Core Duo processor are only 32-bit. Therefore, they can't take advantage of the 64-bit features in Snow Leopard that lead to better performance.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still a bit worried about 32bit VS 64bit; makes me think of Windows. I hope all major software (Office, iWork, Adobe CS, VMware, FileMaker, etc... work well). ...I'll place my trust in Apple and upgrade tomorrow if I can.
epic_ed

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't read much about Fusion with Snow Leopard. I hope everything goes smoothly.
TonyMontana
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

epic_ed wrote:
I haven't read much about Fusion with Snow Leopard. I hope everything goes smoothly.

VM Fusion works fine. Tested. Laughing
ThinkDissident

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

g5g5 wrote:
Excellent, but it sounds like there are a couple bugs around. I'll probably still wait a couple days to install SL on my '09 Mac mini and wife's older C2D MacBook that she just picked up a couple weeks ago. Then again, we always have the old PPC Macs to fall back on. Why not live on the edge? Smile

As usual, it's better to wait for a while and let Apple solve some bugs. I have an oldie MacMini 1,5GHz PPC, and I am waiting still to buy another one with Intel for that reason, the first release bugs.

To me, my MM works fine, but I want to develop games for Iphone, and SDK doesn't work on PPC. I would have bought Snow Leopard but not a new computer, but I have no choice now, PPC is really obsolete nowadays.
Texark

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ars has the best review by far.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: