123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Who Regularly Uses Their Notebook In Clamshell Mode?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Smallwheels

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:53 am    Post subject: Who Regularly Uses Their Notebook In Clamshell Mode? Reply with quote

I just read a couple of articles that explained that OS 10.6 Snow Leopard really won't change the performance of most of our current computers very much. I suppose that the Grand Central program could help some programs run faster but probably not for me. I only do web surfing, e-mail, word processing, and sometimes edit short videos for Youtube.

This all means that I'm considering keeping my Mac Book instead of selling it and buying a new Mac Mini. If I do this I'll miss out on the newer iLife suite. I can upgrade the RAM of my Mac Book to 4 GB and use it in clam shell mode (which was my original plan when I got this in lieu of an outdated Mini in mid-2008).

There is a new notebook holder for sale on the Apple site that holds the notebook vertically so it takes up less space on a desk. The benefit of this position is that the heat can easily rise out of the notebook.

The Laptuk also lets one put their notebook beneath the metal stand that holds up a monitor. This too saves desk space but it makes the heat from the keyboard get trapped by the closed screen. Has anybody here used either of these devices? Has anybody used their Mac Book closed for long periods of time?

I've used mine closed and it seemed to slow down. If I keep the screen open just about two inches it seems to stay cooler and run faster.

Smallwheels
www.MrMoneyHelper.com
www.MySpace.com/Beninate
http://DoNotDieYet.blogspot.com
cheef

PostPosted: Thu Aug 27, 2009 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you know, that Laptuk is JUST what I need for my own MacBook Pro. The pity is, that as I use it for gaming there's no way I could keep it 'covered' like that with the lid closed. It just gets far too hot.

A shame.
iMac 27" i5 2.66GHz, 12GB
MacBook Air 11" 1.4GHz, 4GB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Mac Notebooks All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: