123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

G3 iMac as Windows fileserver?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: G3 iMac as Windows fileserver? Reply with quote

I mentioned in another thread that at work, I'd been having some trouble granting a Vista machine access to files on the XP computer on my desk. Of course, the ideal solution would be to dedicate a computer on the network to file-serving.

When I asked my friend (who owns the company) about this, he thought that it was a great idea. When I asked him what budget he could give me to buy some hardware, it was.... uhhh.... "zero". Shocked

So, now that my budget's been agreed Rolling Eyes I've come up with a couple of ideas:

1) I have a PC motherboard with an AMD K6-350 and 192MB of memory installed. I'm also pretty sure that I've got a GFX card, FDD, a 4GB HDD, a CD-ROM and a 10Mbps network card. But I would need a new "Socket 7" fan/heatsink, a case and a PSU. For an OS, I could use a Windows 98 CD that I have or a Linux distribution that will run on very modest hardware.

2) But I also have a friend who has a 1998 tray-loading G3 iMac in his attic -- and I might be able to convince him to give it to a good home... Wink I've seen it boot, but only with the extensions turned off. The original MacOS 8.1 install/restore discs are missing, so I'd have to either find replacements or MacOS 8.5 retail discs on eBay. But apart from that, it would be good to go as a fileserver, so long as MacOS 8 is fine with Windows filenames and Vista can be bothered to find it on the network Rolling Eyes.

(Although the 4GB drives on either computer seem tiny by today's standards, the files that need to be shared are Word docs, AutoCAD drawings, Excel spreadsheets... in other words, no videos or music tracks.)

Of the two, I would prefer to use the iMac because the office's network hub is also the broadband modem. I'm worried about virus infection and I think that the Mac would be easier to "disconnect" from the internet while remaining connected to the LAN. The iMac also has a 100Mbps Ethernet card, whereas the card I already have for the PC is 10Mbps.

So, do you guys think that this is feasible? Or am I trying to do too much with too little?
MalzyWheels

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a lime green tray loading iMac for a short time 6 or 7 years ago, and it was running Panther just fine. So if you do end up using the iMac, you don't have to limit yourself to OS 8.6. It'll probably be a friendlier networking buddy with Panther (10.3), too.
1961 HH Scott 299C integrated Amplifier (7591 Output Tubes)
B&W DM302 speakers
JohnnyBoy
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reassurance, MW. Smile I talked it all over with Mark today, I stressed the importance of getting something that's reliable and virus-free, and it looks like he's happy to pay for a used eMac. As you say, 10.3 is going to be a much better partner when networking to Windows machines.

Plus, I get to sneak a Mac into a Windows-only office. Let's just call it "a toe in the door".... Wink Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> General Mac Chat All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: