123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TUAW Posts Ultimate Mac mini HTPC Guide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: TUAW Posts Ultimate Mac mini HTPC Guide Reply with quote

TUAW Posts Ultimate Mac mini HTPC Guide
Friday, August 21, 2009
Posted by: Brian

Christina Warren over at TUAW has put together a nice guide about setting up the ultimate Mac mini home theater. It basically covers everything you will need from hardware to software and everything else in between. I know most of this information has been covered on our site and Mac mini HTPC forum over the years, but it's still worth some recognition. I would definitely check it out if you are new to the game.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1293.html
Bandit Bill
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: TUAW Posts Ultimate Mac mini HTPC Guide Reply with quote

admin wrote:
I know most of this information has been covered on our site and Mac mini HTPC forum over the years, but it's still worth some recognition.

... just a little though Smile Wink
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually been working on something new for the site when it comes to HTPC, but I'm not ready to talk about it. I am hoping to have it finished before the end of September though. I just need my back to hold up and some more free time.
YesHD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't learn a single thing, but thanks for posting about the article. I guess you all have taught me well. What else is there to learn? Smile
filmgirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey thanks for the shout-out! You guys have a great resource here and I'm so glad this site is here! I didn't expect to give any new insigthts to veterans or forum watchers, but I hope it can be useful for new users.
Weee
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a pretty solid guide. It's missing some on the adapters, but solid.
Brian
News Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

filmgirl wrote:
Hey thanks for the shout-out! You guys have a great resource here and I'm so glad this site is here! I didn't expect to give any new insigthts to veterans or forum watchers, but I hope it can be useful for new users.

No problem! You did a nice job on the article.
Huff

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weee wrote:
That's a pretty solid guide. It's missing some on the adapters, but solid.

I didn't see the newer Mini-DP to HDMI adapters with USB audio mentioned. That being said, you're better off with Toslink in a full setup. I still want to get one for my little bedroom setup though. I'm just waiting for Monoprice or Kanex to get the suckers out for sale.
filmgirl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't mention the new mini-DP to HDMI with USB adapters because although it's a good solution for people without receivers, it's still analog, so it makes more sense to go optical when you can.

Honestly, the world of adapters and cabling can get really specific and complicated (especially for a post that was aimed at being a really good overview) that I wanted to stay away from the more esoteric stuff -- not because it isn't valid, but because I didn't want to get overly technical.

I'll try to throw in a link to those adapters for the receiver-less later tonight though, so thanks for the reminder!
Paul Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice! I found one little thing in the guide that may cause trouble for people based on my experience though. That is you cannot launch the Hulu Desktop from Plex. You can, but Hulu has blocked the Apple remote control from working. Another member here recommend using the Rowmote remote app for the iPhone and iPod touch to overcome this. You can also use a wireless keyboard or mouse, but that can be a little more cumbersome than using a simple remote.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a nice overview filmgirl!

However, I would recommend using a TOSLink adapter as opposed to a custom cable that can't be used for anything else.

TOSLink Adapter

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have also added AirMouse, Snatch and Rowmote to the list of remotes for the iPhone. They are the most popular ones anyways. I also didn't see MediaCentral or the Tube mentioned. They aren't as popular as Plex or EyeTV, but they still worth a mention.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: