123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How good/bad is ATV?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KoderKev

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:12 am    Post subject: How good/bad is ATV? Reply with quote

I've heard some negative things about the Apple TV, but it seems like a really cool idea. I'm curious to know (from the people that have them) what they feel are the pluses and minuses of the ATV. Is it worth buying?

KK

2.3 ghz 2011 mini w/ 250 SSD & 8 gb RAM
2 tb ext. Time Machine HD "Superman"
1 tb ext. media HD "Batman"
32gb iPhone 5c
Grover Time

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one, but sold it for another Mac mini. It just does way more without limitations.

Pluses for ATV:
Easy setup
HDMI
Decent UI
Works with all IR remotes

Minuses for ATV:
Tied to iTunes
Limited internal and no external storage
No support for extra codecs
No support for Video_TS
Runs all the time
Runs extremely warm and needs plenty of ventilation
Slow transfers to and from Mac over wireless
No gigabit ethernet

I would only buy one if you're interested in running Boxee or ATVFlash on it. You'll probably come away disappointed otherwise. It's also sort of due for a refresh. I wouldn't be surprised to see Apple come out with a new one before the end of the year.
Smithcraft
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting.

I heard it does support V_TS folders, and that you can hack it to support external storage via the USB connection.

SC

[Desktop] Intel mini - 2.16Ghz 2GB 60GB HDD - Newer miniStack v2 500GB - 10.5.8

[Media System] Intel i5 mini - 2.33Ghz 8GB 500GB HDD - 4 x Hitachi 2TB HDD in a qBOX-SF - 10.7.5 (Thanks Phil!)

Make sure it has pins!
imola.zhp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ you can probably hack it to do anything, I think the poster above you was stating the pro's/con's un-hacked...

Current
32g iPhone4; 13" MBP 2.4/4g Ram/250g hd; 1TB TC; 2 ATV2's; Airport Express

Previous
8g iPhone Edge; 32g iPhone 3gS
8g iPod Nano (2nd); 16g iPod Nano (6th)
Mini 2.0/4g Ram/120g hd
Grover Time

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imola.zhp wrote:
^ you can probably hack it to do anything, I think the poster above you was stating the pro's/con's un-hacked...

I was indeed talking about using the Apple TV unhacked. ATVFlash does overcome some of those minuses if hacking doesn't bother you. You can also use PatchStick for that matter.
pmcd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grover Time wrote:
imola.zhp wrote:

I was indeed talking about using the Apple TV unhacked. ATVFlash does overcome some of those minuses if hacking doesn't bother you. You can also use PatchStick for that matter.

You don't need to pay anything to patch it. It takes all of 15 minutes to get it to run anything except HD content encoded above the main H.264 profile. External USB support, xvid, dvix, etc...can all be installed via point and click.

philip
deasys

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've owned one for over 2 years and, given Apple's regular updates/upgrades to it, I have become increasingly appreciative of this little device over time. Think of Apple TV as an appliance for your home entertainment center.

It has many charms in this role, especially in comparison to a general purpose device like the Mac mini:

• much cheaper
  • completely silent
  • very compact--can be placed almost anywhere with minimal ventilation requirements
  • totally self-contained, not even a power brick is required
  • supports HDMI and, more importantly HDCP for protected content
  • provides true, discrete 5.1 channel audio
  • provides the simplest possible hook-up and fiddle-free synchronization to your HDTV
  • is energy efficient -- about 14W in standby and 40 W in operation

• can be used as a true standalone device--no host computer required
  • does not require the use of iTunes

• provides access to the best legal download service in the world for music and movies, viz. the iTunes Store
  • provides superb quality HD video with true multi-channel audio

OTOH, if pr0n and pirating is your thing, then you'll have to look at a less capable device or a more expensive one like the Mac mini.

BTW, I only have the original 40 GB version yet have never found that to be a significant limitation because of Apple TV's superb multi-host streaming support.
KoderKev

PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

deasys wrote:
OTOH, if pr0n and pirating is your thing, then you'll have to look at a less capable device or a more expensive one like the Mac mini.

Not into piracy. I pride myself on only having legal copies of music, movies, and software. Especially for third-party Mac software: if we don't support the developers, they have no incentive to keep making great software for the Mac.

Thanks for your review, this was the kind of information I was hoping to get. Even better that you've used it for a while and lived through upgrades. Gives your opinion some weight.

Thanks!

KK

32gb iPhone 5c
Dino1956
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Love My TV!!
Power Mac G5 1.8 GHz
Apple TV 3rd Gen
Time Capsule 1st Gen 2TB

http://www.soundclick.com/members/default.cfm?member=Dino1956
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
KevinD90521

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 5:30 pm    Post subject: Also love my TV!!! Reply with quote

All my music and video is in one small box in my entertainment center. No bookshelves bulging with hundreds of DVD & CD cases collecting dust. I just copy my music & transcode my DVDs using Handbrake then put it all into itunes. I copy my music onto the TV HD and stream my movies using AEBS N 5GHZ. (And I back everything up on 2 external HDs). The DVDs & CDs go into a box in the closet. No more mess in the living room!
2 WD My Studio ExtHD
AEBS N
KoderKev

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Also love my TV!!! Reply with quote

KevinD90521 wrote:
All my music and video is in one small box in my entertainment center. No bookshelves bulging with hundreds of DVD & CD cases collecting dust. I just copy my music & transcode my DVDs using Handbrake then put it all into itunes. I copy my music onto the TV HD and stream my movies using AEBS N 5GHZ. (And I back everything up on 2 external HDs). The DVDs & CDs go into a box in the closet. No more mess in the living room!

Thanks for the info, Kevin. It looks like I'm headed down that same path, as I've been ripping all my DVD's and putting them in iTunes also. Makes me feel stupid for buying a DVD player! Wink

KK

32gb iPhone 5c
gibmini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2009 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had mine for nearly 2 years and love it to bits. It used to be VERY slow, clunky and unreliable, but recent updates have really improved things. I rely on it for all vids etc and rip to my mini and sync with no real speed problems across my old wireless network.

The only thing I'd recommend is buying the largest HD capacity you can afford as this reduces the amount of streaming you will have to do.

An ATV and a mini is a beautiful team.

iPhone 4S
2.3GHz latest gen macbook pro, 2.4GHz latest gen Mini, 1.83GHz Mini, 2.0GHz Macbook
160Gb 1st gen ATV & 2nd gen ATV
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
KoderKev

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gibmini wrote:
The only thing I'd recommend is buying the largest HD capacity you can afford as this reduces the amount of streaming you will have to do.

Apple sort of took the HD capacity question out of my hands by ditching the 40GB unit, so today I bought a 160GB TV! Had some trouble getting it going at first, until I realized the wall outlet was loose and flakey. After I solved that, the unit fired up, I entered my wifi password and the thing took off. As a matter of fact, we watched a podcast and a full movie via streaming before the unit even had time to sync with our libraries. Very nice!

Thanks for this thread, folks. You persuaded me it was worth it, and so far I agree! I'm going to enjoy watching podcasts, especially, on the "big screen."

KK

32gb iPhone 5c
gibmini

PostPosted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really glad you like it. Welcome to the frustrating, yet wonderful world of ATV ownership!

iPhone 4S
2.3GHz latest gen macbook pro, 2.4GHz latest gen Mini, 1.83GHz Mini, 2.0GHz Macbook
160Gb 1st gen ATV & 2nd gen ATV
1 of every gen of Nano
iPhone 4S
30" apple cinema display
dannyv45
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2009 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone see this 1080P for ATV

http://www.xbmc.org/forum/showthread.php?t=55042
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> Apple TV All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: