123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Apple Holding Special Event on September 9th?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:10 am    Post subject: Apple Holding Special Event on September 9th? Reply with quote

Apple Holding Special Event on September 9th?
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Posted by: Brian

A rumor started spreading around tonight about Apple holding a special music event in California on September 9th. We haven't heard anything concrete from our sources, but the date would coincide nicely with the much-anticipated release of iTunes version 9. This is also the same day the Beatles are releasing their digitally re-masted music catalog and Rock Band video game. Now, I think we all know how long the "Beatles are coming to iTunes" rumors have been floating around. It sure would be nice to see it finally come together and happen. What do you think?

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1286.html
hafamaca

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would it be appropriate to hope for a new iTouch announcement? Shocked
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New iPod touches and nanos with cameras and stuff are probably a given at this point. I could also see them doing away with the classic and latest shuffle, which could very well be the worst iPod ever. It all really doesn't matter to me though. I pre-ordered a 32GB Zune HD on Newegg. I'm sitting fine in the iPod and iPhone department otherwise. I would rather have something new and different to mess around with and do it while looking at a super bright OLED screen.
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

scooper wrote:
I pre-ordered a 32GB Zune HD on Newegg. I'm sitting fine in the iPod and iPhone department otherwise. I would rather have something new and different to mess around with and do it while looking at a super bright OLED screen.

The Zune HD looks like an awesome bit of kit but it isn't mac compatible and I think Apple may undercut MS on price with the launch of the new Touch.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
scooper
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you might be right on the pricing. I still want it for something different though. I'm also running Windows 7 running on my Mac mini, so that won't be issue. That being said, it would be cool to see them do something for the Mac or break into iTunes like the Palm Pre.
Ben Tex
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 3G iPod touch might trump the Zune HD when it comes to price or having a camera and more applications, but I think the Zune HD is the better music and video player. How can you not love that 16:9 OLED screen and support for 720p output, HD radio and music subscriptions? It's just a shame Microsoft doesn't have something better than iTunes. I like their subscription plan, but the rest of the software is a giant bloated POS.
ESUNintel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would guess it's good-bye to the iPod Classic as we know it today, more space for the Touch and maybe even the iPhone.

It might be the announcement of the tablet or iPhone 4G too?

Has anyone heard anything on a scheduled 09/05/2009 event by Apple? I remember reading that date somewhere?
blazer
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ESUNintel wrote:
Has anyone heard anything on a scheduled 09/05/2009 event by Apple? I remember reading that date somewhere?

I don't follow the rumor sites that much anymore, but I've only read about the 7th or 9th being possible dates. I think the 9th is more likely though. That back to school promotion with iPods doesn't end until the 8th. I can't see them having an event with new iPods before that ends.
2.5GHz Core i5 Mac mini (2011)
24" Dell LCD & 42" Sharp TV
EyeTV 250 Plus
1G, 2G, 3G, 4G and 5G iPod nanos
16GB 3G iPhone
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have every Beatles track ever recorded, but I do hope they come to iTunes soon so younger generations can continue to discover the music. I also think it would be cool to see them totally occupy the top seller list. Looking at that list of bubblegum crap just hurts me. That ain't music!

I'm also getting excited about iTunes 9. I just hope it isn't doggy like the initial iTunes 8 release.
gigaguy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intriqued by the Beatles 9/9/9 connection, a big date for Beatle followers, and finally, decades late!, the longed for remastering of the one of the most influential music canons of my lifetime.

Boo on Apple records for neglecting longtime fans as they do. but a real Apple.iTunes coup, if true, to finally bring any Beatles music to the digital market. It's exciting to me, but I'd greatly prefer the further improved REMIXES- (rumor is the remixes are already done but won't be marketed til the next Apple records money-go-round in 2012). you know, who wants vocals on left and music on right today, not the iTunes market anyway but that's what the remasters will be in Sept.

well, it's exciting, and love that Apple.dot is gonna be a big part of bringing the Beatles into the 21st century.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
you know, who wants vocals on left and music on right today.

Well, it's still better than that autotune crap they seem to be buying up. Smile

I'm pretty sure the remastered stuff will be available in stereo and mono on the 9th though.

Quote:
The Long Wait For Remastered Beatles CDs Is Finally Over

When The Beatles albums were originally released on CD for the first time (in the 1980s) the technology was very new and the mastering job done then is now considered quite subpar (and has been for quite some time.)

Beatles fans have been waiting a long time for Beatles albums to be remastered for CD again and now it's finally happening after more than 20 years. The official release date is September 9th, 2009.

All 13 of The Beatles original UK albums are being remastered for stereo release. Along with those 13 albums (from Please Please Me through Let It Be) the Past Masters collection is also being remastered.

What's Past Masters? It's a collection of all of the songs released by The Beatles in the 1960s that were never included on one of their albums. This includes huge hit songs like "Hey Jude" and the fast version of "Revolution" which were released as singles but not on any of their 13 official studio albums.

Stereo Box Set

The stereo remastered versions of these 13 studio albums along with the Past Masters CD are all included in the stereo box set. There's also a lot of extra goodies included in this box set such as a DVD which includes a short documentary on the making of each album.

Mono Box Set

Up until about 1968, mono was the standard. This means that the stereo mixes done up until this time were mostly an afterthought. It was actually the mono versions of these albums that The Beatles and George Martin spent the most time trying to get perfect and it's because of this that to a lot of Beatles purists the mono versions are the "real" versions of these albums (up through The White Album which was the last one mixed in mono.)

For the first time these original mono mixes are being released on CD (previously they were only available on original vinyl!) But these mono versions of the albums are not available for individual sale, but only as a part of the mono box set which includes all 10 of The Beatles studio albums that were originally mixed in mono (that means no Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road, or Let It Be.) It also includes a CD called Mono Masters which is like the corresponding Past Masters except (obviously) in mono. Most of the songs on Past Masters were originally mixed in mono, so this makes sense.

09/09/09

The remastered CDs are not being released until 09/09/09 (a reference to the repeating "number nine" on "Revolution #9") but they can be pre-ordered online now. Pre-ordering may be particularly advised with the mono box set because it appears that only 10,000 copies are being made (although it's possible this is a miscommunication or some extra will be added later when they sell out.)
gigaguy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I know both m and s will be offered, but I grew up on stereo, the stereo remasters will stiil be the original 60s separated vocal mixes, when stereo was new and this mix style showed off the 'new' stereo mode. now it's mostly annoying and gimmicky. Maybe I should learn to love the Mono. Purists want the originals remastered as is, and they should be, but I really want more modern remixes like has already been done for Let It Be, Yellow Sub, Love, and some of the anthology stuff.
anyway it'll be fun to enjoy again.

a very great music blog called 'THE BEATLES COMPLETE ON UKULELE' -sounds strange, but has amazing! redos of every song, 1 a week, and some of the best commentary I've ever seen on the Beatles. checkit out.
devo
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gigaguy wrote:
BEATLES COMPLETE ON UKULELE

Fantastic! Cool
curt
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 23, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
scooper wrote:
I pre-ordered a 32GB Zune HD on Newegg. I'm sitting fine in the iPod and iPhone department otherwise. I would rather have something new and different to mess around with and do it while looking at a super bright OLED screen.

The Zune HD looks like an awesome bit of kit but it isn't mac compatible and I think Apple may undercut MS on price with the launch of the new Touch.

I have a question about the Zune HD. Can you go into the "Marketplace" and download or stream songs for free over Wi-Fi? I'm talking if you have a Zune subscription plan or whatever they call it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: