123Macmini.com
FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   GalleryPhoto Gallery   RegisterRegister   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rowmote Pro 2.0 Released
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews
View previous topic :: View next topic  
admin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Rowmote Pro 2.0 Released Reply with quote

Rowmote Pro 2.0 Released
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Posted by: Glenn

Evan Schoenberg today announced the release of Rowmote Pro 2.0 (iTunes link) for the iPhone and iPod Touch, a major update to his remote control solution for Mac OS X and Apple TV. This application emulates the Apple hardware remote control, providing application-specific controls through a consistent interface, which now includes the ability to launch and control EyeTV, The Tube, mPlayer, Safari, and Songbird. The application also allows for complete control over your Mac with its trackpad and optional keyboard. This includes support for landscape full-screen mode, two finger scrolling and right clicking, dragging, and more at native to near native speeds.

Rowmote Pro 2.0 is priced at $4.99 and requires an iPhone or iPod Touch running iPhone OS 2.0 or later. You also need the free Rowmote Helper 2.1 software (direct download) running on your Mac to complete the connection.

http://www.123macmini.com/news/story/1287.html

Last edited by admin on Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
trustory
Veteran Member
Veteran Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does this have shortcuts to launch these apps as well? As this is a pain in the arse to sort out with Snatch.
iPhone 4 Black 16GB
Grover Time

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trustory wrote:
Does this have shortcuts to launch these apps as well? As this is a pain in the arse to sort out with Snatch.

Yeah, it has an applications button on the bottom of the screen. You can even customize what apps or actions (like quitting or going to fullscreen) you want to show on the launcher screen. I only have the basic version, but it's pretty cool.
miniphil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Er, this came out on the 16th? Also, the actual file says v2.1 Can someone please verify?
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniphil wrote:
Er, this came out on the 16th? Also, the actual file says v2.1 Can someone please verify?

I noticed the same thing, but they are the current versions announced today via a press release. I don't develop for the iPhone, but I believe the date shown in the App Store can also vary for different reasons. Like with the approval and release process after applications have been submitted to iTunes Connect. Also notice the date of user reviews for this version.
miniphil

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
miniphil wrote:

I noticed the same thing, but they are the current versions announced today via a press release. I don't develop for the iPhone, but I believe the date shown in the App Store can also vary for different reasons. Like with the approval and release process after applications have been submitted to iTunes Connect. Also notice the date of user reviews for this version.

I actually downloaded the update on the 16th though... and it's version 2.1 (Rowmote Pro 2.1.ipa)
Glenn
News Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

miniphil wrote:
I actually downloaded the update on the 16th though... and it's version 2.1 (Rowmote Pro 2.1.ipa)

You might try contacting the developer, but it's still being listed as version 2.0 in the App Store.
evands

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies for any confusion regarding Rowmote and Rowmote Pro's version numbers! I'll do my best to explain:

The mismatch between '2.0' and '2.1' resulted from the App Store review process. About a month ago, I submitted the Rowmote 2.0 and Rowmote Pro 2.0 updates at the same time. Apple approved Rowmote 2.0 but rejected Rowmote Pro 2.0, about 2 weeks later.

As I had made improvements made in the interim, when I resubmitted Rowmote Pro, I submitted version 2.1, along with Rowmote 2.1.

Rowmote Pro was approved after about 2 weeks; Rowmote is still pending as of today. However, because the Rowmote Pro 2.0 update was still in process (having been rejected by Apple previously), apparently the App Store didn't update the displayed version number to match the one in the actual file. The binary therefore is '2.1' while the App Store displays '2.0'.

When issuing my press release, I chose to refer to the new version as '2.0' because that's what most users will be seeing, as most people will look at the App Store rather than the IPA file. As for the dates, because the App Store is distributed worldwide and it can take as long as 24 hours for a change to be seen in all its mirrors, it makes sense to wait until you're sure the app is available to all readers before publicizing it.

I'll be waiting until Rowmote Standard 2.1 is approved before submitting any more updates so that I can reduce confusion by once more having only one public version of Rowmote Helper.

Thanks so much for using Rowmote, and please let me know if you have any other questions or suggestions Smile
Huff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like such a pain in the neck working with Apple to get things through. Why would they ever reject something like a remote in the first place? I mean, unless it was totally crashing the iPhone or something. Rolling Eyes

I just know this app rocks! The application switcher and trackpad work great. It's also easy to switch the remote between Macs. I use it with both of my HT minis and 13" MBP.
evands

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huff wrote:
It sounds like such a pain in the neck working with Apple to get things through. Why would they ever reject something like a remote in the first place? I mean, unless it was totally crashing the iPhone or something. Rolling Eyes

The two week delay in release of Rowmote Pro 2.0 was the result of one word in my description of the application. Trying to warn users that you really did need to follow a multistep process to install Rowmote Helper on the Apple TV - an easy process, but one which is certainly out of the norm and more difficult than installation on the Mac - I noted, "Apple TV support requires installation of a hack; please see the website for details." Rowmote's description described this as "third party software installation," while Rowmote Pro's description used "installation of a hack."

The use of the word 'hack' led an App Store reviewer to reply that:

Quote:

We cannot post this version of your iPhone application to the App Store because it contains information on hacking the iPhone OS and is in violation of Section 3.2 (e) from the iPhone Developer Program License Agreement which states:
Quote:

"(e) You will not, through use of Apple Software, services or otherwise, create any Application or other program that would disable, hack or otherwise interfere with the Security Solution, or any security, digital signing, digital rights management, verification or authentication mechanisms implemented in or by the iPhone operating system software, iPod touch operating system software, this Apple Software, any services or other Apple software or technology, or enable others to do so."

Initially, I replied, pointing out that there was no hacking of the iPhone OS going on and that the application takes no prohibited action on any Apple software or technology... The reply pointed me back to the phrase "installation of a hack." I therefore changed the Rowmote Pro description to be in line with the Rowmote one ("third party software") and the update was, about 2 weeks later, approved.

Quote:

I just know this app rocks! The application switcher and trackpad work great. It's also easy to switch the remote between Macs. I use it with both of my HT minis and 13" MBP.

Awesome! Smile
Huff

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it was the Apple TV part causing trouble. I guess that kind of makes sense on their behalf. Maybe a little nitpicky, but what are you going to do?
Mick S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a question about the trackpad in Rowmote Pro. Does it support three and four finger gestures for Safari (for swiping back and forward) and Expose? What about two finger for pinch to zoom in like Preview or Safari?
evands

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick S wrote:
I have a question about the trackpad in Rowmote Pro. Does it support three and four finger gestures for Safari (for swiping back and forward) and Expose? What about two finger for pinch to zoom in like Preview or Safari?

It doesn't. Apple doesn't provide any hooks for sending those commands to applications ("do the three finger swipe behavior"), so any implementation of them would need to know each application and how each behavior acts...

which unfortunately quickly becomes confusing, as a pinch may mean different things in different parts of an application but the sending application (Rowmote Helper) has no way of knowing which behavior to perform. I may look into this as some point in the future, but it'll be a big project and won't be happening in the immediate future.

The two finger gesture for scrolling, on the other hand, is generically applicable, so it is supported.
Mick S

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, thanks for the reply. I was just wondering because I saw it mentioned for Safari in another app.
evands

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mick S wrote:
Okay, thanks for the reply. I was just wondering because I saw it mentioned for Safari in another app.

I've just recently gotten a system with a multitouch trackpad, so I haven't worked the newer gestures into my workflow... which ones do you find yourself using? It'd be good to be able to prioritize them, since when I do go about implementing them, it'll be one-by-one rather than a single change with many effects.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    123Macmini.com - Forums Forum Index -> 123Macmini.com News and Reviews All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: